“Just Like Home”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Whidbey island Washington
“Just Like Home”
Reviewed September 23, 2004

This month, my husband and I stayed at the Coral Reef for a second time in three years. I grew up in Alameda and remember the Coral Reef as a very exclusive Motel. It is very clean and quiet. The management and help are very friendly. It is close to South Shore Shopping Mall and many restaurants. It is also just steps away from the beach. We would happily stay there again when the time comes to visit Home again.

• Stayed September 2004
6 Thank cglutz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Reviewed July 18, 2004

The Coral Reef Inn is definitely where we will stay if we visit the area again. This is probably the best value you can get in Alameda. We got a free upgrade to a suite which had a full kitchen and a balcony overlooking a lagoon. The decor (carpet, drapes, lighting, furniture) really needs updating (we're talking 80's) and it feels like a very old building, so don't expect luxury, but the room was clean. The other downside is that the walls are really thin and I could hear my neighbors pretty clearly when they talked. I liked the free continental breakfast which was better than most I've seen at motels. The motel is walking distance to the beach and downtown Alameda.

• Stayed July 2004
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 10, 2004

Spent 2 weeks there in September 2004 and am returning for another 2 weeks. Nothing fancy but definitely meets the needs. Friendly staff, clean, large room, well-kept grounds, free parking, right by the beach and across from a mall in a safe, pretty area. Don't need much more than this!

• Stayed May 2004, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 5, 2004

our balcony beside the lagoon was so peaceful.....i loved watching the "pet" ducks........room was very clean......walked to the beach....wonderful!!!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 3, 2003

stayed one nitethe hottest day of the summerand they have NO air conditioningthe ice machine was broken and the hotel staff didn't seem concerned - I think the least they could have done is drive across the street and picked up ice to have available for their guests from the local store

4 Thank sabdra s

Travelers are raving about these Alameda hotels

Reviewed March 18, 2003

I am an Australian, and whilst visiting the Bay Area, I stayed at the Coral Reef Motel for approximately seven days. I cannot express how delighted I was with my adventure. It truly was almost like home. The staff were friendly and accomodating to all of my needs - and they always had a smile and a cheery 'hello', no matter what time of the day or night. The suites were beautifully decorated, clean and airy, and outfitted with all electrical needs, extra bedding, and very comfortable beds! If by chance there was something I needed - the staff were just a button away on the phone, or a short trip down the stairs. My children sent me daily faxes while I was there, for which I apologised profusely! However, it turned out that the staff enjoyed their notes and drawings almost as much as I did. They were so lovely and so interested in my family, that my children began sending *them* faxes! I found the location of the Coral Reef to be wonderful for a first time visitor to the USA. There is a large shopping complex across the road, with restaurants, grocery stores, sports stores, hair salons - everything you could possibly need. It was a short drive to Oakland Airport. The views were stunning. I felt completely safe to venture out at night. I met some terrific local people on my wanders, and they have left a lasting impact on me. It has been some time now since I visited, but I happened to stumble across this site whilst doing a web search for the Coral Reef (yes - I loved it that much). It was a trip down memory lane for me and a very pleasant one at that. I just couldn't leave without posting my thoughts on this fantastic little home-away-from-home. Thank you to the staff at the Coral Reef for making my holiday one to remember. I most definitely left a big piece of my heart in San Francisco.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alameda
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda
Marina Village Inn
Marina Village Inn
#7 of 8 in Alameda
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda

Been to Coral Reef Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!