“Complimentary Crack Pipe Free with Room!”

Coral Reef Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Reviewed August 7, 2008

I don't even know where to begin. They obviously have a nice show room because we were recommended this hotel by the couple who whose wedding we were in town for, and they said it was fine. Our 'suite" was filthy- greasy cushions on the couch, burn stains on the tub, blood spatter on the bedroom wall, and I've seen cleaner toilet seats in gas station restrooms. The doors were off the hinges on the bedroom closet, the pull out sofa bed was broken, and we found a crack pipe in the cupboard. My husband is a police officer for a large city, and wasn't given much respect when confronting the office staff. After six hours of waiting for a new room to be cleaned and after the office staff repeatedly hung up on the Travelocity representative, we got the heck out of there! We have never stayed in such an awful hotel!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank CopsWifeOhio

Reviewed July 30, 2008

I am a police officer in a major metro area, and brought my wife to Alemeda for a weekend to take some sailing classes. I looked all over for a hotel close to the location and found this one. I saw the photos, and either those are signifigantly dated photos, or extremely photo shoped. The property was nothing like the online photos. It was a converted appartment complex and was not clean. It needed significant maintenance, cleaning, and probably renovation / management change. The room we were in was advertised as "nonsmoking". The cloud of smoke in the room was so thick, we had to sleep in the front room. It was like a hotel on our prostitution strip. I never would have stayed there had I known. I slept with one eye open and my gun nearby. Some of the visitors looked like regulars, and were definate gang members, lugging in cases of booze. Since I do it in my everyday job, I swept the room for illegal paraphernalia, and was not disappointed. I located narcotics paraphernalia which is criminal to possesss under the bed. Our second night we were able to get another room which we checked out prior to it being cleaned, to see if we could breath without SCBA. It was obvious a huge party took place in that room. My advice, it is safer to sleep on the beach and take your chances getting a ticket from the local cops than to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank popoondnet
Reviewed July 26, 2008

Alameda was a great town. Near the Bay and within one block of the hotel. Bird watching, park, fishing also within one block. Walgreens, grocery store, some shopping across the street. Any kind of food at reasonable prices located on the same street as hotel within a couple miles away. So area is great. Without the hustle and hectic traffic in Oakland, Berkeley, and San Fran. Rooms large. Kitchen area functional. Lots of closet space and drawer space for long trips. Rooms clean. Problems: 1) parking--get there early at night or good luck finding parking, 2) wireless internet--not really wireless outside of lobby, so unless you get an ethernet cord from the front desk for your room, good luck, and 3) hotel front desk staff--not so friendly, not so capable.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2008

This place is in a fantastic location, and has tremendous potential if it ever passes into the hands of competent management. My impression is that the current management could care less about the safety and comfort of their guests. We awoke on our first morning in the hotel to the sound of a S.W.A.T. team battering in a door and shouting to the occupants to keep their hands up. I looked out the window to see a large group of heavily armed police leading away two gang members. The broken door to the room was left flapping in the breeze for the duration of our 2 day visit. Management did not offer any apology or explanation, leaving me with the impression that this type of occurrence is nothing new. Too bad, this used to be the best place to stay in Alameda.

• Stayed: June 2008
4  Thank Anandala
Reviewed May 8, 2008

If you happen to be planning a stay in Alameda, CA, I'd highly recommend The Coral Reef Inn. It offers convenience, comfort and affordability. From the southwest location you can be in the intriguing, retro downtown area in about five minutes, and the rest of the island is quickly accessible. The rooms, which are equipted with full kitchenette facilities, are clean, roomy and quite comfortable. This was our third stay, and as in times past, we found the staff to be friendly, helpful and courteous. It's family friendly and quite inviting; I think you'll like it!

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed February 18, 2008

I recently took my girlfriend to the Bay Area for a romantic getaway. When I booked I was a little worried because the price was so low. When we arrived I was so suprised at the quality of the Coral Reef Inn! It is a very nice location, overlooking a private lagoon and a 5 minute walk from a white sandy beach with the best view of the SF Bay. Seriously, this beach must be the location where photographers take the pictures of the Bay for postcards! Super romantic! Happy girlfriend makes a happy me!

- Mark

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2008

The establishment reeks of dinginess, starting with the outside exterior. It reminds me of a cheap 1 star hotel where the average cost of a one night stay is $30, which is how much this place should charge. The electricity in my room short-circuited and I was left without light, heat, TV, etc. I called down to the front desk and the receptionist, doubling as a handyman, came up to my room and fiddled around with the circuit board but to of no avail. On top of that, there seemed to be plumbing issues because there was no hot water either. I was finally transferred to a different room which had a broken heater and reeked of cigarette smoke. I suffered through the night, teeth chattering and dreaming of fresh air.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank jooceyfroot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alameda
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda
Executive Inn & Suites
Executive Inn & Suites
#2 of 49 in Oakland

Been to Coral Reef Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!