“Great Value and Location”

Coral Reef Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. Room was very big with nice patio. Had a kitchenette and decent bathroom. You cannot beat the location. You can have the fun of San Francisco without the hassel of being in the city. The Ferry is a 20 min ride to The Financial District. It will take 15 min to get to the Fruitvale Station and a 15 min ride into the city's Union Station and Cable Car Station. If you plan on staying in your room this is not the place for you. If you plan on seeing the Bay Area it is awesome. The Continental Breakfast is awful. Essentially dognuts from a local place, cereal, and yogurt.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank nursesally82
There are newer reviews for Coral Reef Inn & Suites

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I booked a room in January. Six months later, only two days before my vacation, they called to say that they are overbooked and would be moving me to another hotel. The other hotel, the Washington Inn in Oakland, is owned by the same company and has terrible reviews. When I went online to post this, I noticed that the reviews for this hotel have also taken a turn for the worse. Thank heavens I made the reservation on my Amex - at least I don't have to worry about getting my money back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jim S
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here on a Friday night in June 2013. The room was an average, clean motel room. It had a little kitchen, but nothing to cook with. Property seemed well taken care of. However our room was on the side where the entrance is and the bowling alley across the way was quite loud. There is an outdoor mall across the street, including a two grocery stores. Was convenient to the water if you wanted to walk just down the street. And if you drive a little ways, there is a cute area with shops and restaurants. I would consider staying here again if I was in the area, but only if I had a room away from the bowling alley. We did have a little trouble checking out. There was no one around and we were in a hurry, so we left the key and a note. I did also notice that there were no breakfast items left when we were checking out around 7:45 AM.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms on the side with the parking/entrance because of the bowling alley.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chicagoheroine
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Coral Reef Inn in Alameda, California, is a hidden gem. Why do I say that?

I was a resident of Alameda in the 1980s. It’s a beautiful, mostly residential island situated in the San Francisco Bay, separated from Oakland by an underwater tunnel call the “Tube.” All the time that I lived there, no one ever mentioned the Coral Reef Inn, nor did I ever have any reason to use it or suggest it to guests.

I now live in Illinois, far from Alameda. However, my daughter Rachel continued to live there after her mother and I split up, and she just graduated from Law School. This wondrous event gave birth to a family reunion of sorts this past May, when my wife Martha and I and my other daughter Rebecca and her family from New Jersey flew out to attend the graduation ceremony, celebrate Rachel’s achievement, and spend some extended quality time together as a far-flung family. My son James and his family also joined in the festivities (they still live in the Bay Area, in nearby Castro Valley).

Now the plot thickens: Rebecca and her husband have three children, one of whom is mildly autistic and has numerous food allergies, especially to gluten. When they travel, they try to stay in condos or other places where she can cook complete meals for her son, plus smaller dishes that they can take with them to be heated in a microwave when eating in restaurants. She searched all over the East Bay on the Internet for a hotel or extended living facility that might have a room with a kitchenette and is reasonably priced. After a couple of false starts, she discovered the Coral Reef Inn, which has a kitchenette in every room. (I still find that fact amazing for a regular hotel!)

Her family ended up staying in one of the Inn’s special suites for an extra $10 a night, which has a separate bedroom with two large beds, plus a sofa bed in the living room. This meant that they could put their three children in the separate bedroom in the early evening, and we and they could sit around the living room and talk and watch TV without waking the kids.

There weren’t any cooking utensils in the room when she arrived, but a simple trip to the front desk produced her choice of a number of pots and pans, dishes, and silverware kept in the Inn’s storage room. By the way, their kitchenette had a full-size refrigerator, an electric stove, a microwave, a coffeemaker, and a nice-size eating area. Our kitchenette had all of that except for a smaller refrigerator.

As for my wife and I, we both have physical limitations: We are seniors and need to be on the first floor of any hotel, as close to the front door as possible. When I mentioned our requirements, they decided to put us in a room just a few feet from the front desk, which was the perfect spot for us. The other thing we needed was a reclining chair (such as a La-Z-Boy)—I can’t sleep in a bed because of my back. They said that they didn’t have a reclining chair, but I could bring one in. I contacted my son, and he brought us his La-Z-Boy. I was all set!

I like to hang up all my shirts and pants when I stay in a hotel for more than one or two nights, so I was disappointed when we checked in because there were only six hangers scattered over our three closets (I guess in case we had a family of 10?)—another amazing fact. I walked out to the front desk around midnight and mentioned to Alex that I could use about a dozen more hangers. Guess what? Alex was at our door about 15 minutes later with a dozen wooden hangers!

We had beds with fairly new mattresses, and my wife reported a comfortable sleep experience. The shower and toilet worked just fine.

They have a free continental breakfast every morning: Nothing hot, but a nice selection of pastries and donuts, cereals, yogurts, juices, bread for toast, fresh fruit, etc. During breakfast, the lobby turns into the United Nations: It seems that the Coral Reef Inn is quite a hit with foreigners. During our stay, I had nice morning conversations with people from Germany, the Netherlands, England, India, and Japan. Some mornings, it was warm enough that several of us ate our breakfast outside at some tables overlooking their landscaped grounds and swimming pool.

Did I mention that the Wi-Fi in every room is free, and it works very well? Parking is free also. The heating and cooling system in our room was very quiet, efficient, and easy to use.

I forgot to say that the Inn is less than 6 miles from Oakland International Airport and less than 5 miles from the Oakland County Coliseum (where the Oakland A’s, Oakland Raiders, and Golden State Warriors play). One day all of us took the Ferry from Alameda to Pier 41 in San Francisco (a short walk from the cable cars, Pier 39, and Ghirardelli Square). What fun!

I also forgot to tell you about the huge shopping center (South Shore Center) literally across the street from the hotel’s front door. My wife and I walked over to stores there several times. It stretches several city blocks (more than a half million square feet) and includes a Safeway and a Trader Joe’s for grocery shopping; Chinese, Mexican, Japanese, and Greek restaurants, to name a few; a Starbucks and a Subway; three banks and a Walgreen’s; a Kohl’s department store, an Old Navy, and a TJ Maxx; a dry cleaners and a laundromat; a Massage Envy and a jewelry store; even a Weight Watchers and a car wash—77 stores in all!

Oops, I forgot to mention that the San Francisco Bay is about a half block away also! We walked over to the beach one late afternoon and watched at least a hundred windsurfers enjoying the sunset out on the water. There are some nice areas where you could sun bathe on the sandy beach or go in swimming (the water was fairly chilly when we were there, so no one was swimming then). The view of the Bay and San Francisco across the water was spectacular. You can also rent bikes in South Shore Center and ride the bike paths that stretch along that whole side of Alameda along the Bay.

All of this would normally cost (in San Francisco) at least $125 to $200 a night, but we were charged less than $75 a night. Amazing!

And when we left (after 10 days), Alex gave us each an appropriate goodbye hug, and two other staff said personal goodbyes to us. Earlier that week, Joyce and Reyna on the front desk did us special favors. That’s just the kind of friendly staff they have.

Several drawbacks: (1) The carpeting in our room left dark smudges on my bare feet—I’m not sure why. The maid vacuumed it every day. (2) A bowling alley is adjacent to the Inn, and it got somewhat noisy on Friday and Saturday nights, but it was quiet the other nights. (3) The TVs are old-fashioned, not flat screens, but they work. (4) The décor is somewhat old-fashioned also.

Like I said: a hidden gem!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank Francis S
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The rooms are smelly, carpet is old. Everything is outdated. Cobwebs are everywhere. The bath tub is chipped all over. The bedding made of polyester, so it is very uncomfortable. If you want to have breakfast (which is included), you need to rise early, because if everything is eaten, they don't replenish it. The only good thing about this motel is the location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mazcoroni
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This place used to be a bit worn down but it was not very spendy and kinda clean. The room rates have risen a bit for a place that is worth about $50.00 a night. -The bathroom: there was mold in the bathroom in the tub tiles. Tiles were also loose. The vinyl floor popped up in places because it wasn't properly installed and had bubbles underneath it. The bathroom floor was sticky from not being properly rinsed. The kitchenette had one plate, and one set or flatware- no cooking utensils. It is a task to actually get them to find you a set of utensils and a pot. The Kitchenette floor was filthy around the edges. Several walls had small holes that had not been fixed. The blanket had stains and holes. The balcony was filthy and was several seasons overdue for a power clean. The two plastic chairs had layers of plastic peeling off of them, and one chair was broken. On Alameda, I have seen chairs in better condition put out for the trash. There is one derelict car on the property; it sits on stands under a blanket. Overall, dirty, understaffed, and overpriced. It was not great last year and has only gotten worse with time. Sigh, a disappointment :(

Room Tip: If you must stay here (and I suspect that any other chain would be better) get a room facing the poo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank C S
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel gets very mixed reviews. I have stayed here several times and they have started to upgrade their rooms. Supplies of cooking and eating utensils is very limited and a problem considering each room has a kitchenette. Suggestion: issue each guest a "cooking pack" on arrival. Even charge a deposit if necessary.
The hotel is in a great location across the road from South Shore Shopping Center which has two supermarkets, a Walgreens and a variety of other shops. Close to Alameda Beach and a long walk up Park Street to other shops.
Not the Ritz, but a great place to stay in Alameda and good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank 51traveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alameda
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda
Marina Village Inn
Marina Village Inn
#7 of 8 in Alameda
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda

Been to Coral Reef Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!