“Bad, Bad, Bad”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Portland, Oregon
“Bad, Bad, Bad”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was the worst hotel experience ever!!! We booked ahead a room with two beds for us and our two young kids. When we got to the hotel they told us that they are all sold out and they only have a room with one bed. But… they are going to upgrade us with another “free” room with one bed in the other side of the hotel. Thanks a lot, what an upgrade to split up our family during our vacation. And to top it all they knew that they are sold out around noon and they didn’t bother to call us and let us know. So, we had to cancel our reservation and start looking for another place to stay at 9:30 pm – which is not an easy task. Don’t book there, they are not worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank GIL B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Lafayette, California
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband for one night because we were hitting the town with friends and didn't want to drive. We got a suite for super cheap and that was our goal. For the price, it's definately not bad. View of the pond, very spacious and not too far from down town. The pool was actually pretty nice as well. Full kitchen. It's a bit rough around the edges and attracts some shady looking people. Not high end or classy but effective for a crash pad.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Gabrielle M
Sonoma, California
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Obviously the hotel has been trying to upgrade itself. The reception area looked fresh and the carpeting in our room and the reception area was all new. We had one of only two rooms lagoon side with 2 queen beds. They were comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. The linens were fine. We brought our breakfasts as we are picky about what we eat. The frig was ample. We asked for and received cereal bowls and real glasses. Only 2 hangars and when we asked for more we were given the kind that fit into permanent holders but there were no holders in the closets. Be sure to book the lagoon side. The hotel owners could make some inexpensive changes that would make a big difference -- a plastic table for the terrace, a guide to the tv, a few simple dishes and glasses, a kitchen towel, deep clean the cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom, and new shower curtains. Staff were very helpful. It was fine for the price.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for a lagoon side room. Very nice to have that at theend of a the day for a g...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank FranceAvignon
Alameda, California
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Good that I didnt believe the reviews n I went to check it in person, my syster in law is comming to visit me this December, I was amazed they show me the lagoon suite I think they called it like that!!!! OMG I couldnt believe ithe room have an amazing view to a lagoon, the room looks like an aartment, I loved the bed desing, is not the same that is on the pictures, is all white, n clean...Im so happy that i went, I know my relative will be very happy when she comes n stay there, I booked it as soon as i got home...sometimes is better to see it, that believe it...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shirley W
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Mediocre overpriced rooms. The breakfast is a health nightmare, though I suppose that is the normal standard for hotels in America. They often play Fox News channel in the lobby at breakfast and some of the guests actually watch it - of course I knew that such people existed but had never encountered any in real life, so it was an interesting experience on an anthropological level. It is very overpriced - unfortunately there don't seem to be any reasonably priced options in this part of California.

Room Tip: rooms that face the parking lot are extremely noisy, mostly from people walking past on the walkway...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank naturalnature9

Travelers are raving about these Alameda hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2012

An excellent location, the Coral Reef Inn is just a short walk to the beach, a mall, and the quaint shopping district on Park Street. This advantage soon disappears, however, when you consider the condition of the facility itself. We (a couple) recently stayed here on the recommendation of a friend who had arranged special rates for a group. The Inn (motel) is dirty, dimly lit and poorly maintained. I saw moldy stains around the reception desk; the carpets in the lobby, stairwell and hallways are filthy.

To be fair, it appears that the owners are trying to do some upgrading. I noticed a huge pile of old carpet piled-up at the edge of the parking lot. While the carpet in my room looked fairly new, it was poorly installed with lots of puckers and lifting at the corners. The bathroom and kitchen tile in our "no smoking" room was buckled, stained and full of cigarette burns. I don’t think they hire professional trades to lay flooring, paint or do other maintenance. They obviously only vacuum in the high traffic areas because I noticed a lot of dust and debris between the bed and bedside tables – YUK! I even found dead moths on the kitchen floor. The telephone was disgusting, the tub was grimy with soap scum and the toilet didn’t flush well.

Although we were assured a non-smoking room, the whole place reeked of smoke. Just putting a No Smoking sign on the room doesn’t address the fact that the rooms share a ventilation system and if you allow people in one room to smoke, that smoke eventually makes its way to the room next door and beyond.

The matress was pretty worn - no support and the linens seemed rather threadbare. While the room had two very spacious closets, there were only four hangers for two people. Our room keys had to be reprogrammed every day, they simply didn’t work if we went out in the morning and came back in the afternoon. I wouldn’t call the staff friendly but they did try to accommodate our requests.

The Coral Reef offers a free continental breakfast each morning in the lobby. Unfortunately, the staff doesn’t do any cleaning or tidying-up throughout the morning, so you have to sit at tables that haven’t been wiped of spilled milk, cereal and other food waste. After the morning breakfast service, I observed one of the staff use a rag and some solution to wipe off the front window, then he used the same rag to sweep food particles off the counter, wipe the tables and then . . . . . that same dirty rag was used to wipe off the individual packets of jelly! After that observation I passed on the free breakfast during the rest of my stay.

Under other circumstances I would have checked-out and booked at another hotel, but I didn’t want to offend our friend who so kindly made the booking –he wasn’t staying there himself. I bought can of Clorox bleach wipes and sanitized the phone, toilet, etc. myself. In my view, there is nothing to recommend this place, I will never go back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MagmamanCan
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Staff very friendly, they make me feel like if I was home, I'm from Italy, the price is good, I walked to the beach, very nice I will recommend this Hotel thousand times...I will come back again

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank irlanda1983
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alameda
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda
Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport-Alameda
Rodeway Inn Oakland/Alameda
Executive Inn & Suites
Executive Inn & Suites
#2 of 49 in Oakland
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda
Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel

Been to Coral Reef Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!