“A unique rock formation”

Vasquez Rocks Natural Area
Vancouver
273 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 235 helpful votes
“A unique rock formation”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had passed the park on a previous trip , but were a little late in the day to enter . This time I was determined to visit . It was about 40 minutes from our motel in Pasadena and probably 15 degrees warmer . Luckily we had a lot of drinks with us .
We only hiked about half way up . With the extreme heat we didn't want to push ourselves . We also thought being at the top you would get a nice view , but not be able to see the most beautiful aspect of the park which is the part you are standing on .
I was very surprised there wasn't an entrance fee . We didn't stop at the visitors center . We just drove to the big parking lot near the rocks .
The area wasn't very busy although it was a Saturday . I'm not sure of the elevation here , but we did see two separate incidents of climbers overexerting themselves by going too fast . One teenage girl looked as if she was about to have an asthma attack . People like me from non desert environments really have to respect what heat and elevation can do to our bodies . No matter what our ages are . My son and I were like the turtle to the teenager's hare , she whipped by us then had to stop and we made it as far as we wanted to go first .
The park isn't a place I would return to . We had a great time and took marvelous pictures , but for us once was enough . I really did enjoy our time there though .

Visited August 2013

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Nice view, but smaller than expected”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We went here expecting enormous rock formations, but only found these relatively small rocks. The sights were certainly nice and impressive, but we perhaps mistakenly expected to see something bigger. Apart from this, we were not disappojnted, and it's certainly worth visiting once.

Visited August 2013
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Gorgeous CA State Park Along Pacific Crest Trail”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Though I have lived near the Vasquez Rocks State Preserve my entire life, I rarely visit because it was the home of many film, television, and photography productions when I was younger. I went last week on the recommendation of a friend traveling the Pacific Crest Trail from Oregon southward. He had strayed into Vasquez while staying with and saw not just the rocks, red dust, and vibrant green and gray brush I remembered, but wildflowers, chirping birds, small streams, and the most elaborate overhanging shadows and light. I was inspired to visit again and had my mind changed about the place. What a gorgeous and relatively untapped natural park in such a generally quiet area. Vasquez does not have the size nor the traffic of Yosemite, Death Valley, the Redwoods, or any other parks of renown in California. But that is a mistake. It has vistas, small hikes, wildflower collection, and even, newly built, a small Native American tribute museum that is tasteful and architecturally elaborate.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank seanmalin
Santa Clarita, California
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Really unique and easy drive from Santa Clarita”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a unique place, filmed in many movies. Fun for kids and adults. Some good hiking trails and neat rocks to climb on. I also heard there is a new visitor center but have not seen it. The only caution would be not to go mid-day when it is hot. Also - you can drive to the back on dirt road with regular cars...gets you closer to climbing rocks with kids or seniors who don't want to walk that far.

Visited November 2012
Stevenson Ranch, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Seems like it comes out of nowhere”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great climbing rocks that once in the park go on for quite awhile. Amazing place to take a hike with family or friends and let the kids do a little climbing too. Interesting geography with how for this small area these magnificent rocks seemed to come out of nowhere. A lot of fun. Brand new visiting center has a great display on history, films made in the area and bathroom! There is also a small animal visiting center. Nervous that they will charge a fee in the future.

Visited May 2013