“Delicious & Consistently Good Persian Cuisine in Neighborhood Cafe”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Maral Cuisine

Maral Cuisine
Ranked #26 of 90 Restaurants in Agoura Hills
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Persian
Good for: Families with children
Malibu, California
“Delicious & Consistently Good Persian Cuisine in Neighborhood Cafe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Maral Cuisine offers delicious and consistently good Persian Cuisine in a neighborhood café. We have enjoyed eating at the restaurant as well as getting take-away family style. Our favorites are the Beef and Chicken Koobideh, Boneless Chicken Kabob, Must O Khiar, Kashk O Bademjan (Eggplant & Whey), and Dolmed (stuffed grape leaves). Staff are kind, prompt, and attentive. Lovely ambiance whether dining at a table for 2 or 8. Excellent value. Thank you!

• Visited October 2013

Los Angeles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Nice Persian Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I had lunch at Maral Cuisine today for the first time since the restaurant had changed hands and been remodeled in 2012. I had the Gormeh Sabzi (beef, spinach, and kidney bean stew), with an accompanying plate of rice. The meal came with a house salad or lentil soup; the soup was excellent, as was the stew. A vegetarian version of the stew is also available.

Lunch prices were in the $6-$12 range, and portions were more than generous. The dinner menu was more extensive, and prices seemed to be in the $12-$20 range.

Service was attentive but not obtrusive. I will plan to return to Maral Cuisine and recommend it.

• Visited June 2013
Oak Park, California
“An even better dining experience with the entertainment on weekends.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wife and I have to Maral three times, twice using Groupon deals, and were never charged a mandatory tip, as stated by another reviewer. The food was always excellent and with the recent addition of a musician on weekends (reportedly there's a belly dancer also who happened to be sick the night we were there), the dining experience was outstanding! The service was very good although I can see where the waiter we had could become overburdened. Since they don't have a liquor license yet, he happily got two wine glasses and opened and poured the wine we brought. We plan to go back soon even without a Groupon deal!

• Visited December 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My first experience with Mediterranean food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

Not bad, I have to say. Rice with raisins sounded pretty "iffy" to me before I actually tasted it, but it was not half bad. Also, their Taboulleh is better than average. They deliver and their pricing is not bad. You should try their Rotisserie chicken!!

Visited February 2012
Oxnard, California
“Hit and Miss Food, Exceptionally BAD Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

Zero stars. I was surprised at the end of my meal to be charged an 18% gratuity which the hostess explained is for Groupon only when I asked why, since we were only a party of two. Her response made it seem that they added this mandatory gratuity for those Groupon purchases only. I had previously visited this establishment for the first time over two weeks prior after learning about them on Groupon. I hadn't purchased the Groupon yet, but was in the neighborhood and decided to try it anyway. I was really pleased with my meal and purchased the deal thereafter and returned with my friend on this second occasion. The appetizer was so stale and hard to chew, as well as dry. They also didn't have the main course that we had come to try, stating that they had run out. The waiter explained that weekends are busy in the early afternoon, and sometimes because of catering parties this happens. My friend and I didn't complain about the stale appetizer (he doesn't like confrontations and I didn't want him to feel uncomfortable, so I decided that when I came back the next time, I would mention it. Needless to say, I won't be coming back), and we were happy with a secondary choice suggested to us. There were three staff and two tables being served, one of them mine. Apparently the two hostesses knew the men at the other table and remained engaged in conversation the rest of our visit there with them. Two other tables were seated during our course and the single waiter was the only person running around while the two ladies nonchalantly bantered with their friends. I have to mention, the first time I ate there, the same thing happened. The hostess and the waiter sat and talked in the corner. Both times, the conversations were loud enough for you to hear all the details. Anyway, the one waiter came to refill our glasses once since he was also taking care of the new orders of the other tables. I brought up the fact to him that he looked like he could use some help, hinting at the two ladies who didn't care that he was doing everything himself. He agreed, but suggested it was like that most of the time. In any regard, I wouldn't have bought this Groupon had I known I would be charged a mandatory 18%. I think Groupon is a great way to introduce people to services in and around their community for the chance to build an establishment's patron following. But bad service will not keep anyone coming back here. The food in my two visits seems hit and miss. You have to get there early on the weekends to get the fresh stuff. Forcing someone to pay an 18% gratuity when it's a miss with food quality while service is consistently bad is not good business. After protesting to the hostess about this mandatory 18% gratuity I had to leave and expressing my opinion about the evening's food and service, she finally obliged to remove the appetizer charge from our bill, though she tried to convince me that that the appetizer was supposed to be that way. I agree food here can be amazing, but it needs to be consistent and the staff needs major customer service training. Atmosphere can be nice if you didn't have to listen to the restaurant staff's personal lives and they paid more attention to you to earn that mandatory 18% tip they impose. BTW, Groupon details and fine print did not mention this 18% mandatory gratuity so I think this is something the restaurant does to make up for the discount being given. Also, one final note- I have been a waitress at a fine dining establishment before so I know first hand what customer service should be like and that tips are just that- tips. You have to work for it.

• Visited December 2011