“A place you must try”

Ranked #3 of 94 Restaurants in Agoura Hills
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I'm a sucker for unique, hip places. Maybe because I'm neither. Old Place Restaurant is small, loud, limited menu and just plain fun. Buy a bottle of wine next door at the Cornell Winery and bring it over for dinner. This is a very small restaurant and there are three seating times. You must make a reservation for one of 6 or 7 tables. You can also eat at the bar, OK for two people, but not if you are a bigger party (we were a party of six.) They also have a small private dining room that sits twelve. Our food was very good. I had a sirloin steak, baked potato 'loaded,' and a salad. We shared the house version of macaroni & cheese, and the mushroom appetizer, both very good. For dessert we shared the lava chocolate cake and apple pie. Both very rich and delicious. Our server was great, she was friendly and informative.This place has a 'laid back' vibe and very casual. We were treated as if we had been eating here for years, even though it was our first time. I'll be back!

Reviewed June 10, 2012

This place is lovely. First time here last Sunday. The place was hopping. Cute, old fashioned, basic decor and tiny. We were greeted at the door, waited outside for a table for Sunday breakfast. Nice friendly welcome. The menu was small, which tells me they were cooking it fresh. The wait for the food also told me they were cooking it fresh, but I could wait all day here. The atmosphere was lovely with a great friendly band who offered to play a song of your choice. All of my party agreed that the food, when it came, was fantastic. We particularly reccommend the pancakes ( I think they call them flapjacks). The wine tasting room next door was good too. $10 got us a tasting of 4 wines and we bought a few bottles while there. On that Sunday the place was full of bikers and regulars, which we are not, but it didn't make a difference to the welcome and service. We got a great meal with great service. Love it. Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

If you want to show off your latest designer dress, diamonds and expect beautiful china, you are in the wrong place. The Old Place is a down to earth, one of a kind gem with friendly, hard working people, fantastic food and drink in an atmosphere that attracts foodies and movie stars alike, simply wanting to kick back and enjoy. For a full review, follow this link to my food blog:

Reviewed May 10, 2012

Went here for the first time for dinner. Loved the atmosphere of the restaurant. Sat at a table RIGHT at the front door next to "piano played by Bob Dylan....?". Greeted by the owner with history of the restaurant. Server very nice and efficient. The menu is limited but fine. I found my food to be fine but I think the owner "over sold" the steaks. Mine was underdone and I did not feel like returning it to the kitchen. The extra large potato was good and I hardly ate the salad because it had so little dressing. My sense is they have a revolving kitchen staff...just a guess. The prices are so reasonable that you don't feel ripped off for the quality of the food. I would go again someday and try to sit at the bar. Won't rush back, but it was a fun experience. The wine tasting room next door looks amazing....didn't have time to go there.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Absolutely loved this place, it was very rustic and quirky, and the service was very attentive and friendly.

Pros: The food! - had the steak sandwich with side salad, both were terrific. The coffee was very very good - no need for sugar. Service, ambience, pricing were all very good. I loved the resident peacocks.

Cons: the corn accompaniment.