“"High above the Arkansas River valley..."”

Wiederkehr Wine Cellars
Ranked #3 of 6 things to do in Altus
Reviewed January 10, 2013

It is very nice to be able to have some European history nestled so close to home, and see what years of hard work and dedication can accomplish...

My review is mainly on the Restaurant...

We had an impromptu stop recently one Friday evening. No reservations and we, being a table of five, were quickly seated and taken care of. Our service was wonderful, as she was attentive, descriptive, helpful and patient with us as we studied the menu and asked questions.

The atmosphere and decor was definitely European, a mix from Swiss and German influences and was interesting to observe as we waited on our meal.

Wine - We tried two different offerings from the waitresses recommendation, and these wines, a Cab Blanc and Shiraz, were bitter, strong alcohol aroma and not very palatable, but we hated to say anything as we declined the first bottle. We ordered the bottle and drank it, but it was not a good wine. We did not sample others in the whites, desserts, etc., so our exposure was just the two mentioned above.

Most of us ordered steaks and they were prepared to order, although the flavor was just so-so. The green beans and German potatoes were kind of mushy and over-cooked. This may have been due to us arriving late for dinner and may have picked up the end of day stuff.

The bread was good, service, great, steaks cooked to order and those were positives!
The chairs were very hard, food a bit mushy, and the two reds were so-so...I'll probably try again because the service was great, and we did come at the end of day.

The drive there was beautiful, the landscaping was very pastoral and attractive. It's a positive to have this in the area. I really hate to rate this average, but it is based on one visit, so I do want to try it again.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

My friend and I randomly decided one Sunday that we would like to go visit a few wineries as neither of us had ever toured one. This was our 2nd stop and by far that best! When we got there, we had just missed a tour so we were advised that we could wait 30-40 minutes until the next tour started. We had opted to do so since we were really wanting to tour a winery. While waiting, we were asked if we would like to taste. And of course, we did! We were given 3 wines to try for free. After that, you can select 5 wines for $3. The lady was nice enough to let my friend and I split that between the two of us. So we were both able to taste 5 more wines for only $3 total, we just had to split the glass, which was fine by us! The lady was so knowledgeable about the wines and gave us a brief description on each wine chosen. She also happened to be our tour guide that day. By the time the tour was to start, there were 2 other groups to join, for a total of 8 people. It was a very fun tour, though short. I would love to go back when everything is up and running. Out of the 3 wineries visited that day, this one had the best wine! We ended up loving the Alpine Strawberry and just recently bought everyone on the shelf at our local liquor store!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stopped for Saturday lunch, there were 3 of us and it was a very nice atmosphere. Although very busy, the waitress that served us was quite pleasant and gave us very good service. The cheese tray was enough for all 3 of us but the presentation was lacking. The wurst sampler was the very good, the pork chops were good but the potatoes were disappointing to my German/Swiss mother. We also had a couple of bottles of wine that were very good but they were out of the ones we really wanted to try. We did not go through the tour but did the wine tasting for $3 to try 6 wines. The wine tasting hostess was very sweet and helpful. What will always stand out in my mind is that I thought I left something on the table and returned the next day to see if it had been found. The staff was so very helpful even going through the trash to see if they could retrieve it. We bought several bottles of wine the day before and I would certainly go back to support this family owned business. Maybe they will have the complete selection of wine available when we return.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

The restaurant has great German food in a quaint restaurant/cellar setting. They also have a nice winery with tour and tasting.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

The wine fest, winery tour and the vineyard tour were all pretty okay. The surrounding area is nice and you could spend a good hour or two. The winery tour could be better than just spending a few minutes in the wine cellar explaining the history of the place. We did not try the restaurant but heard a few people mentioning that the food is usually good there. We tried the banquet during the wine fest and could easily say that it is not $12 worth of food.