“Beautiful church!”

St. Mary's Catholic Church
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We stopped for a visit on a Friday afternoon; parishioners were there cleaning the church. They were friendly & answered our questions.

2  Thank Kpodsednik
There are newer reviews for St. Mary's Catholic Church

Reviewed August 9, 2009

I love St. Marys. I am not sure where the one person went to mass at but it must not have been at St. Marys. Everyone who attends is very welcoming and it has a family atmosphere. I am a part of the St. Marys family and we welcome all of our visitors. The church is beautiful and was recently restored to it's original beauty. It is a must see if you are of the area. Father Hillary is our priest, he is very nice and welcoming as well. If you are new to the area introduce yourself to him and he could help you feel more "at home" in Altus. And do not forget to sign our visitors book! We would love for you to come see Altus and it's natural beauty.

Reviewed May 18, 2008

This church is beautiful inside and out. Before going in, you can view an incredible vista overlooking several surrounding towns. Inside, you will see hand painted walls, ceiling, arches like you've never seen. The church was built by swiss-german settlers to the area and the swiss style in the painting makes it very unique. Mass is currently at 5:30 on saturdays and a very nice worship experience. The church is on the national register of historic places.

Reviewed May 5, 2008

I've been visiting the Ozark-Clarksville area for two weeks, attended Mass May 4, 2008. People around me were warm and courteous, but did not approach me otherwise, that's okay.
I found the church, while looking for the Winerys, and boy what a gem it is. And the mountain overlook has to be one of the best views in all of the Ozarks.
The church is beautiful, much more ornate than my parish in Houston. It reminds me of St. Patrick's in New Orleans, except much brighter. The organ and choir were very good, I'd rank their music with some of the best I have ever heard. I'd like to have a CD of their works.
You must make a visit, if not for mass & view the church, then especially for the magnificent view of the river valley from the parking lot overlook, and at sunset.

A TripAdvisor Member
Missouri
Reviewed June 3, 2005

We attended Mass at St. Mary's in Altus on May 29th, 2005. Besides them being very, very pre-vatican ll, they were not friendly at all. Noone spoke to us. They had a Corpus Christi Procession and I had left my purse in the pew knowing we'd come back. Upon arriving back in church, a family had taken the pew my purse was in. So I reached in to pick it up and after getting a "look" from a woman in the pew she chuckled and said, "Oops! Sorry." It was a very half hearted sorry. After Mass I figured the priest would walk outside and talk with the parishoners. No sign of him either. At our parish in O'Fallon, MO> Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we offer a word of greeting to those around us prior to Mass. Noone is left out or treated so rudely. Our motto at Assumption is this, "May you find Christ in our every gathering". St. Mary's needs to adopt this motto. They may be old, the parish is 101 years old, but they could be much friendlier and welcome visitors. I'm glad we were not a new family moving in or I'd probably not go to church at all with that kind at attitude. We did not find Christ in this gathering. I would not recommend them for Mass. Find another Catholic Church.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member