“Excellent New Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Excellent New Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2007

This hotel is newly opened, and a Homewood Suites is right out the front door is set to open on the 24th of October.

The only drawback of the hotel is that it is on the otherside of the highway and away from all the restaurants etc.

However, the shuttle service is more than happy to bring you there.

The shuttle brought me from the hotel to the Glendale Arena (7 miles away and got me to the right entrance without a problem)

The rooms are very comfortable and the beds are the best i've seen in my life.

Internet service is excellent and the restaurant here is open for breakfast, lunch & dinner (which is the only one i've seen at a Hilton Garden Inn) to be open for all three meals, usually is only open for breakfast and dinner.

Front desk was great and was great with setting up sedan service to airport.

Note: From Hotel to Airport is 20 to 30 mins depending on day and time.

• Liked — Room Comfort
  • Disliked — Have to get cab or shuttle to shopping area.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

Driving from Tucson to Fresno I stopped at this property at about 10:00 PM on a Friday. I was very pleased with the quality of the lobby and its furnishings. The staff at check-in was pleasant. The room was impressive. This was my first stay at a Hilton Garden Inn and I have decided to choose them much more often.

The most impressive part of this brand new hotel was the bed. Simply put the bed was amazing. I thought the A/C worked well for the Arizona heat, and unlike the previous reviewer I enjoy the "white noise" from the A/C...it actually helps me sleep.

The furnishings were new, nice and comfortable. All in all I felt the quality was excellent for the price. I do not plan to drive this route again but I will be staying at another Hilton Garden Inn in Livermore, CA because I was impressed with the quality of this property.

• Liked — The Bed
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
Sacramento California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2007

This is a relatively new property, but it has a major problem. When the A/C units in the rooms kick on, they sound like a jet engine starting up. I lost count of the number of times the AC woke me up during the night. You can't shut it off because it's Arizona and you need air-conditioning. I was at the hotel as part of a conference. Everyone attending had the same complaint about the rooms.

• Liked — New, clean property
  • Disliked — Air-Conditioning Units in Room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Seats42
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2007

I thought I would take a chance and try out a Hilton Garden Inn for the first time with this newly-opened property. After less than an hour, I'm convinced that Adrian Kurre (the head of HGI) should march down here and put this franchisee on notice immediately.

The hotel is new, and room size is good, with new furnishings. That's about as far as I can go with compliments.

At check-in, I witnessed a classic front desk clerk dividing his time between me and a personal phone call. He then did something I haven't heard, at any kind of property, in at least ten years: He verbally disclosed my room number with other people present at the front desk. This is a red flag for me - an indicator of complete lack of training at this new property.

Upon arrival at the room, I observed two beds, when my HHonors reservation clearly requested a king. Now, it was 7 PM at check-in - not late by any stretch; and to assume that all kings were already taken by HHonors blue/gold/plat would be unrealistic. However, when I returned to the front desk, I got "we're full, there are no kings" with no hint of hospitality, apology, or service mentality at all.

To top it off, the GM at this property includes a "little note" with the key packet that essentially solicits you to give the hotel a 10 rating on the email comment card to follow. She also left her phone number, so I left her a message, detailed my issues, let her know that she'd score quite far from 10 in almost all categories, and that this would be my first and last stay at HGI.

There is absolutely no reason to put up with surly and incorrect service when there are Courtyards, HI Expresses, and even Radissons where one will be treated with welcome and warmth.

Back to the room: You may think that the inclusion of HDTV channels is cool, and they would be, if only they rendered properly on screen. There's more pixelation and freeze-frame here than a dial-up video conference. The HDTV channels are virtually unwatchable.

The PTAC units in the rooms are as noisy as any from 1980. For new construction, the noise level is appalling.

But boy, it sure is pretty and new.

• Liked — It's new and the rooms are large
  • Disliked — Surly service "we don't care, we don't have to because we're full"
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank DenverBrian
Troy, Montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2007

We made a reservation to stay here four months out based on a group rate for an event that we were attending in the area. We were told that the property was to open in January - as we were set to arrive in March, no problem, or so I thought.
I was following up when I did not see the promised email confirmation and was told that things had been pushed back, but we would be fine for our arrival date. I waited and when we were a week out and still had not heard, I emailed again - no response, so I booked at another brand. I hear back from them and I let them know that I had moved on and to please cancel my reservation. They apologize and I think that we are all out of their system as I had cancelled the reservation with them.

72 hours before our arrival in Phoenix, I receive an email from another hotel confirmation our reservation. I NEVER CONTACTED THEM. This Hilton had decided, despite the fact that I told them I had made other plans that they would share my name, address, unlisted home phone number and credit card information with another hotel. I contacted the other hotel to cancel the reservation that I did not make - no response. I called my credit card company to place a fraud alert on my card to protect myself from authorized charges - a major issue when I am leaving on a two week long business trip.

I have been travelling for well over 20 years and this is the worst experience that I have ever had - if this is how they behave BEFORE they open, I can only imagine how fouled up things will be when they do actually get the property up and running.

I would understand a delay in opening and I was fine with it until they decided to share my information without my consent.

• Stayed March 2007
4 Thank Jeanie W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avondale
Homewood Suites Phoenix-Avondale
Quality Inn & Suites Goodyear
Hampton Inn & Suites Goodyear
Courtyard Phoenix West/Avondale
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Goodyear-West Phoenix Area
Comfort Suites Goodyear
Comfort Suites Goodyear
#2 of 9 in Goodyear

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix/Avondale? Share your experiences!