“Convenience at a very good price”

Motel 6 Apache Junction
Motel 6 Apache Junction
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Apache Junction
Long Buckby, United Kingdom
“Convenience at a very good price”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We arrived after a long day flying from the UK and were very happy with this hotel. The reception staff were most helpful on arrival, offering a variety of rooms, and next morning when we needed a pharmacy. Our ground floor room (130) was clean, spacious and quiet. No, it isn't 5 star but for $140 total for two nights for 2 of us with breakfasts we were content, comfortable and would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
dallas
Reviewed April 5, 2014

They totally overcharge for what they have to offer. We rented several rooms for a family event with several out of state travelers for several days. They show aIl reasonable fee on the door of the rooms but charged much higher and gave no discount for AAA, or AArp or for the fact that I paid for several rooms. I could give a list of negative issues, but cleaning staff while not very thorough with their cleaning, they were accommodating with extra pillows when asked.

2 Thank Azflygirl
Avon, Ohio
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I had booked this hotel before reading any reviews, as it looked adequate for our needs. After reading many comments on trip advisor, I was worried I had made a huge mistake. As it turned out, upon arriving we were pleasantly surprised. While this is by no means a 5 star hotel, we had no problem with the staff, our room was clean, the beds, (at least ours , in 129 were comfortable. I detected no "bad smells", as was reported by many. Requested extra pillows and received them. The breakfast was a disappointment tho, as it consisted of only scramled eggs, toast, pancakes and cereals. Some fresh fruit would have been nice, and maybe some muffins or sweet rolls. The pool was clean, but not heated during our stay, March 25th to April 2, 2014, so that was disappointing as well. Other than that, our stay was pleasant. Somewhat overpriced for a "budget hotel", but its location is central to many attractions. We are planning to return to Apache Junction next year and will stay here again.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has "smoking rooms", so if this offends you stay on 1st floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Frannie P
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Came in 03/21 and stayed in room 211. Although the place is not exactly the cleanest, the staff was more than friendly, even bringing us extra hangars (we had a wedding) immediately. Every morning, the cleaning crew was working and even stopped to chat with us for a second. Every evening when we returned, the room was cleaned. The front staff said hello on every entrance and exit. This is a "budget" hotel at a bit more than budget prices (due to time of year etc.). I would definitely stay again. Apache Junction is a different kind of place and I'm lloking forward to more time there.

Room Tip: No elevator..
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pete S
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed at the Superstition Inn and Suites from 14-16 March, 2014 (two nights).

Executive Summary: I was overcharged for the stay, the staff was dishonest, the hotel is overpriced, the room was dirty, the breakfast was poor, and the “exercise room” consists of three non-functional pieces or cardio equipment located OUTSIDE nest to the pool.

1. Overcharged. When I booked my reservation I received a digital receipt for the rooms (I booked two rooms). The amount billed to my card exceeded the amount on my receipt by $31.40. I took over a week to get the hotel to admit the error and refund the money. (NOTE: The hotel’s website is operated by Magnuson Hotels. Booking must be completed through the Magnuson-run site. The credit card is supposed to be a place-holder for the reservation, as is standard. Superstition billed my card immediately – 7 March 2014 - rather than waiting for my arrival.)

2. Dishonest Staff. When we arrived our intent had been to pay for one room while a group of friends accompanying us would pay for the other. We then discovered that our card had already been billed. The lady working the front desk said it was standard policy to bill immediately. When I realized that I had been overcharged I approached the front desk and spoke to the same person. First, she blamed the overcharge on Magnuson, describing them as a third-party booking agency akin to Orbitz or Expedia. She then stated that as a matter of policy their hotel would not bill cards until the guests arrive. I pointed out that this was contrary to what she had stated previously, after which she became defensive and abrasive. She said there was nothing they could do and that I would have to take it up with Magunson. I did, and Magnuson explained that, while they don’t own Superstition, the hotel is an affiliate and Magnuson operates the hotel’s website. Magnuson DOES NOT bill the customer; the hotel does. The hotel staff misrepresented their affiliation with Magnuson, lied about their billing policies, lied about which organization actually bills the customer, and then refused to provide a refund based on this lie.

3. The discounted rate for a room at the Superstition was $110/night; that was the lowest available price on the website (labeled the Manager’s Special). The accommodations were small and cramped, and there were no actual suites at Superstition Inn and Suites as far as anyone could tell. (It was a comment circulating amongst all the guests; “where are the suites?”) The air conditioner was so noisy as to interrupt our sleep when it activated during the night. The room reminded me of what I might expect at a discount, no frills, hotel, only I paid a much higher rate.

4. Dirty Room. I requested a non-smoking room, and I received one; however, it was located directly across from a smoking room. Our room smelled faintly of cigarette smoke. The floor was disgusting, and one of the two provided chairs looked like it had never been cleaned after having who knows how many beverages or other substances spilled on it. The general uncleanliness of the room was problematic for my asthmatic child, though all issues cleared up immediately upon leaving the hotel each day.

5. Breakfast. The hotel offers a “partial hot breakfast.” The hot part consisted of overcooked scrambled eggs and pancakes; except there weren’t any pancakes because the staff hadn’t prepared any. The remainder of breakfast was bread and cereal. Again, not what I would expect from a place that charges a discounted rate of $110/night. (NOTE: The second morning we visited a restaurant called the Feed Bag. It is about 4-5 minutes away and provides excellent meals at reasonable prices.)

6. Spa. The hotel advertises a “spa” on its website. I had hoped this might mean an exercise facility. When we arrived we asked about an exercise room, and we were referred outside. Their “spa” apparently is three rusted, inoperable machines located OUTSIDE, near the pool and immediately adjacent to their designated smoking area. I thought it was a joke, but it was not.

In summary, this is quite possibly the worst place I have ever paid to stay. I will never stay at this hotel again. Consider carefully other nearby hotels before booking at the Superstition Inn and Suites.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
2 Thank Nturfrnd
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Checked into the hotel around 11:00 p.m. on Friday March 14, 2014. While checking in I was looking around at the lobby, it was outdated and had a funny smell to it. I figured lets give it a chance as we had booked late and it was spring break/training. Got the room keys and lugged our luggage up to the 2nd floor, at the top of the stairs the ceiling looked as if it was ready to cave in. Proceeded to room 227 and when I opened the door the smell was not pleasant. I immediately began checking out the room, it was filthy. The chairs had stains of who knows what on them, someone had spit in the sink and it was all dried up. In the bathroom there was long dark hair in the tub and looked like it had never been cleaned. Went out to check on the bedding and pulled back the covers, guess what? More hair and what ever else was on the sheets! I could also see down behind the bed because headboard is attached to the wall. More filth, I dare to bet it hadn't been vacuumed in months. (lint just thick along the wall, rubberbands, dried up food, and I don't want to know what else!) My advice is turn around and run as fast as you can! I wouldn't give them 2 cents let alone the $170.00 they were trying to rip me off!

1 Thank Tls908
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I wish I knew about these reviews before I suffered through a stay at this hotel. Believe them all. This is a terrible hotel. It looks nice on the outside, but is a hideous experience.
- small, scratchy towels
- the free internet is NOT high speed. It's as slow as dialup. Cannot watch Netflix or stream video.
- The place smells bad.
- the breakfast was inedible (and I'm not a picky eater).
- noisy air conditioner
- paper thin walls. Casual conversation and low-volume TV can easily be heard in adjacent rooms.
- leaky faucet.
- Hot, smelly hallway and lobby.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mesa
La Quinta Inn & Suites Mesa Superstition Springs
Sleep Inn Superstition Springs Center
Best Western Plus Mesa

Been to Motel 6 Apache Junction? Share your experiences!