“Funky Restaurant in a Tiny Town!”
Review of Cow Palace

Cow Palace
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Amado
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Cow Palace dates back to the 1920's and was once the old general store. Now a steak house and bar with lots of comfort food and cold drinks to choose from.
Cape Cod
“Funky Restaurant in a Tiny Town!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My wife an I spend winters in the community of Green Valley, just south of Tucson AZ. To our south is a very small town called Amado, just off Route 19. From time to time we've gone into the Cow Palace for everything from breakfast to dinner. Tonight we went for their roast beef buffet.

Well, the cow palace has been around since the early fifties. It's an unassuming place, a bit dark inside, with a bar at one end along with two restaurant rooms. The food is simple but good. The staff is friendly and helpful. Prices are quite reasonable.

The buffet this evening was surprisingly well done. There was roast beef (of course) along with roast chicken, a pork dish, salmon, lots of little odds and ends, plus a small salad selection along with fruit and shrimp. I had a micro brew beer that was very tasty.

This evening they had a live "band." Music was country-western and I thought it pretty good. Lots of folks came dressed "western" style, wearing cowboy boots and jeans. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves with quite a few people dancing.

The Cow Palace is just a nice, down-home place that tries very hard to please. Thus, I'm giving it four stars.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank RichCapeCod
Cathy R, Owner at Cow Palace, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for the positive review. The Cow Palace has been around since 1921. It has changed hands over the years. Most recently my husband and I took over the Cow Palace in March of 2012. We have spent alot of time perfecting our menu, getting the right service staff in place and especially cleaning the restaurant top to bottom. Our most recent health inspection as "Excellent" and we are very proud of bringing the Cow Palace up from "Good" to "Excellent". Our chef is a CIA graduate and works diligently to put out a great buffet every weekend. Thank you again for your positive review and hope to see you soon. Cathy

colorado springs
“Surprise! Happy New Year!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We have known that the Cow Palace changed hands, and last season (we're snow birds) we ate here twice after avoiding the place due to really mediocre food. Based on those last good visits we decided to give the Cow Palace another try, mainly because it's a short drive from Green Valley.

The menu offers a number of interesting appetizers, and we chose the in-house smoked salmon. This was atlantic salmon, very tasty and moist with delicious smoke flavor. The crostini served with the salmon were a little skimpy, but the salmon was great

Dinner specials for New Years were prime rib and rack of lamb (but the full menu was available). We both opted for lamb and were really pleased. The lamb was done medium rare (we were asked for our temp selection but opted for chef's choice). The lamb was served in a marmalade mint sauce that was delicious.

For dessert we chose house made tiramisu that was excellent. Traditional recipe with lady fingers and a wonderful custard.

Make no mistake. This is a country restaurant. Local cattle brands adorn the walls. But the chef ranks at the top of the list. Cow Palace deserves a visit.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank sheilaCO
Cathy R, Owner at Cow Palace, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you so much for the positive review! People are so quick to post negative reviews. I appreciate all feedback, but I especially appreciate someone who takes the time out to write a positive review. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again. Cathy
Nekoosa, Wisconsin
“Don't waste your money here.”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Terrible food, service and not clean. The Friday seafood buffet is a joke. The food tasted like it was freezer burned and they only had a few dushes . Price was $16.99! The "Black and Blue" salad was just a bowl of lettuce with leather steak over it and a few onions and cukes. I didn't taste the blue cheese. Don't bother wasting your money at this restaurant!

• Visited January 2014
Cathy R, Owner at Cow Palace, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
I appreciate all feedback but, your review is vague at best not to mention wrong. How was the service bad? We strive to give great service. What was not clean? The Cow Palace hasn't been cleaner than it is at the present time. The seafood buffet has Salmon, Cod, Catfish, Snapper, Seafood linguini, peel and eat shrimp, Blue point oysters on the half shell, fresh made bread with whipped butter, assorted fruit, and a full salad bar. I'm sorry that you feel there weren't enough dishes on the buffet and that $16.99 for all-you-can-eat is not a great value. All the seafood dishes were prepared on Friday afternoon and you are wrong about the freezer burn. The only real complaint I see on your post is the Black and Blue salad. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your meal. Did you say anything to the server? Did you ask to speak to a manager? We strive to provide great food and service. If you would have voiced your complaints that night we would have gladly taken care of any issues you might have had immediately. But we can't fix what we don't know is broken and venting on Trip Advisor doesn't solve your issues. Regards.
Rio Rico, Arizona
“1.5 hrs to get some water”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

there for an event, many people served and left prior to anyone coming over to the table, total time in the place 2 hrs. It also seems like the portions were smaller for our table. I only gave it a 1 because there was no 0 in the scoring. Staff was unconcerned and could care less. Will never go back, Will always tell others how bad the service was.

• Visited October 2013
Cathy R, Owner at Cow Palace, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
After speaking with you on the phone that night, I knew that you weren't satisfied with my answers and I figuered you would go straight to Trip Advisor. I apologized to you a few times and told you that we were short staffed. The truth is we had four servers scheduled for this event (plenty), but one called in sick and the other one died in a car accident on her way to work one 1/2 hour before your event. We had to put this horrible news aside and try to focus on your group. This left two servers to serve and try to please 130 people. As you may have noticed we were running to get drinks, salads and food out in a timely manner. Running. We did the best that we could considering the circumstances. It is extremely difficult to keep track of who came in at what time when people are arriving at different times, moving tables, and joining other tables already in the process of getting served.

You may have also noticed that Richard and his boss jumped up to help us because we were short staffed. Dispite being short staffed Richard was very happy with the service, food and venue. I had many compliments that night, but unfortunately negative comments on social
media speaks louder.

Again, I apologize for being short staffed and for you feeling neglected. I'm also sorry that you will never return and that you will tell everyone you know to never dine here. I'm sorry that you will make a decision based on one negative dining experience. We did the best that we could considering the circumstances. Regards, Cathy
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“You have to try these burgers!...and fries!!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were back in Amado for another vacation and ordered burgers to go from the new burger menu at the Cow Palace. We picked up the bag, asked about ketchup and were told it was in the bag. We expected to get your normal burger and fries and were happy to have what we ordered and expected. My wife wanted to try the Butter Burger and I wanted the Western Burger with fries, my son had the same. BTW...they ask you how you want it cooked...isn't it nice to be treated like an adult? We don't like burgers cooked to well done and dry.

Once we got back to our place, we were shocked at how big the burgers were and the fries had chives on them and a great flavor. We found our ketchup but none of us used it. The fries were really hot for take-out and crisp. We always eat our takeout fries 1st because they get cold fast...these did not.

My wife and I were looking at the size of the burgers and had to cut them for better management. I was really amazed at the lightness of the meat. It was not compacted or smashed like a lot of burgers you eat today. It was very thick but when you bite the massive bite, it was not heavy and the flavor was shockingly good. You can tell these aren't just frozen pucks or thinned out balls or beef. The toppings were great and better than I expected. Everything seemed really freshly made and we were full half way through of our burgers...usually we don't eat ALL the fries before we start the burgers but this was really good. My 18 year old had no problem with his entire meal and said this was the best burger he has every had. ...I can tell you that is from a lot of experience with burgers!
I forgot to add, the burgers came out exactly as we ordered...cooked just the way each of us likes our own level of doneness. That is very refreshing.

We can't wait to get back and run the full selection of 12...but at the size of these, it will take quite a few visits.

• Visited July 2013