“Great find”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alpine
Hannagan Meadow Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Alpine
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is one fantastic place. The rooms (we had guests from Spain) were cozy, clean and lovely. Old furniture, but nice mattress and bathroom. The setting is perfect for anyone wanting to ride motorcycles on US 191 (a premier motorcycle road), which is what we were there for.

But, the best part was Charlene (checkin clerk, maid, server in dining room) and Charlie (cook, maintenance man, janitor). These two made the stay wonderful. Charlene is a very pleasant lady who is a local. Charlie, a cowboy from Tucson, is a really great cook (I loved his chicken fried steak) and everyone was happy with their dinner and breakfast.

This is a special place. We stayed in the main building, so we can't speak for the cabins. But, we plan to return. And, we plan to highly recommend this place for our friends.

I want to thank the owner for making our wedding anniversary and our friend's stay so nice. But, with Charlene and Charlie, it was extra nice.

Room Tip: If you are a motorcyclist, this would be a great place to stay 2 nights. Stay... ride 191 both ways...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Six of us, riding our favorite motorcycles on the renowned Coronado Trail, spent the night in two of Hannagan Meadows' cabins. What a sublime experience! Peace, serenity, nature's beauty... these were the reasons for going, but the excellent service by Brenna, Carlene, Wild Bill and a couple of others were an unexpected bonus. Great spot to leave the world behind. We'll be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I were so excited to travel to the White Mountains and to spend 2 nights at Hannigan's Meadow. However, we soon found out that the write up on Hannigan's Meadow was not what we were expecting. We reserved the most expensive room, Honeymoon Suite, thinking the view of the meadow would be very special, however the view was through a small window. When we went to the restaurant for dinner that night was very disappointing. We ordered the roasted chicken, it was roasted but not that day, the frozen vegetables were so mushy as not to be eatable, the fresh corn so over cooked it was tough. I told the waitress that the food was cold and not very good. The next morning we went down to a $10.00 per person buffet, which again was disappointing the food was cold. We thought we could pick up some food stuff at the store they report to have, it was not there. So if you want some other choices for dining you have to drive 20+ miles to the closest restaurant.

We had to leave a day early due to an emergency at home. They refused to give to credit us that night, but told us we would receive a gift certificate we could use for up to a year. We have never received that promise of a certificate, even after 2 emails to the Hannigan's Meadow Lodge.

The Lodge states that they have B&B rooms, this is not true, they have the beds, but not the breakfast included.

The 2 gals running this place were very helpful, but terribly overworked, they were running the lodge, waiting tables and everything else inside the lodge.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank neveready
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at the inn for our honeymoon because the area is so beautiful. We found the main lodge to be quaint but not lacking in quality or cleanliness, and the staff were friendly, able and knowledgeable about the area. The food was always good. They delighted in telling tales about fun-loving characters that lived in Hannagan Meadow and bear encounters/dangers -- so much so that while we were hiking one day in a particularly isolated area, we thought we had a hair-raising bear encounter of our own -- only to find out (after tossing our lunch away) that the breaking branches behind us in the deep woods turned out to be a family of squirrels jumping from tree to tree. The staff had a good laugh at our expense and I'm sure added a new tale to entertain other guests. We plan to go back to this charming lodge for our anniversary next year and hope that we'll have another "bear encounter." Note that during the "monsoon" season (late summer), brief, thrilling afternoon showers with lots of thunder and lightning are not uncommon, and the power can go out for short periods, but this just adds to the ambiance.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2013

If you like a hotel with a lot of amenities this place is not for you. If you want a place that is in the heart of the wilderness where you truly feel like you are away from it all, I do not think you can find a better place in all the White Mountains. What it lacks in creature comforts (such as TVs in every room) makes up for in just sure locational beauty. I could sit on their patio and look at the meadow all day and watch elk or deer come in. There is also access to all kinds of trails and fishing within minutes from the lodge. The lodge itself is quaint being built almost a hundred years ago with sitting areas to kick back and read.
This place is more set up for the outdoor enthusiast and not the resort crowd. It wasn't until recently they added a TV in the rec room and Wi-Fi in the lodge, which I liked being isolated from all that. Also expect no cell phone service either, which I like being isolated from that even more.
They do have wonderful meals (I liked the breakfast buffet most) and beer and wine on premises.
I have been up there three years in a row now with my lady celebrating our anniversary and we are already planning on going back, including an extra trip this winter to do some cross country skiing. I highly recommend this place if you like these kind of locales.

Room Tip: In the lodge, the Cosper, Greenlee, and the Ah-Chin have the bigger beds. I prefer at least having...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and my self stayed at the Lodge for 2 nights in October. At first without TV we were wondering how we would survive for 2 nights! But this forced us to plays some games together and the staff were really wonderful and friendly. We took a hike and did some short trips on gravel roads and enjoyed the beauty of this location.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2013

After booking the honeymoon suite and thinking it may be a nice place to stay. I quickly realized that this place has been run down by terrible customer service. I think the reputation of the area and the nice man in the back...who may be Wild Bill will keep it running a few more years but the restaraunt is pricey and honestly I even heard one of the staff telling a customer it may be best to go to Alpine. WAY TO SELL IT!!
This place gets 2 stars but only because of location.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank dsteck09

Been to Hannagan Meadow Lodge? Share your experiences!