“I would not recommend this place to a mutt.”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Auburn
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
“I would not recommend this place to a mutt.”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

A whole group of people stayed here for a football weekend and reunion. One of the employees, a young woman who appears college age, was VERY nice and helpful. She is the ONLY reason for the one star I gave them. They over charged us by $522.70, so WATCH YOUR ACCOUNT! It doesn't appear to matter what amount is on your receipt, because that amount has NEVER shown up on our account! Mr. Patel has NOT handled this issue well and hung up on me. He waited a day to get back to me and his excuse was the previous day was not his work hours so therefore he would not handle this situation then. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. The accommodations were smelly and we had bugs, many bugs.... The mirror at the vanity was filthy, there was water all over the vanity, and the room smelled of smoke. It was a non-smoking room. Stay somewhere else or drive home after the game. Except for the one very nice girl at the front desk, this place is a zero.

Room Tip: If you wish to sleep, DON'T stay on the side by the Supper Club.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 94Elle94
Vic P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
I apologize for any inconvenience our hotel may have caused to you. You made your reservation using your debit card and upon check in we authorized full amount for 2 nights of stay on it. Upon check out you decided to split the payment with another card. Debit cards usually take upto 48-72 hours for authorization to release. It is beyond our control for this hold to be released. If this hold stays on your account after 72 hours please feel free to contact me and I will personally contact your bank.

Vic Patel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Buyer Beware...Terrible customer service! You better hope that everything goes 100% according to plan because if not, they will give you no sympathy. I was quoted one cancellation policy at the time of booking and when I called to cancel my reservation, I was told the policy was different, I had missed the window and there was nothing they were going to do about it. Don't bother askign to speak to a manager....They are all independently owned which allows the GM to have no accountability and because of this I will NEVER book at another 'Choice Hotel' location AGAIN.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Wanderlust205
Vic P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Customer,

I apologize for the inconvenience that you may have inquired from our hotel. Our cancellation policy for all Football Weekends have been set for 30 Days prior to arrival. If we are able to sell your room, we will gladly sell it, and cancel your reservation with no charges. Currently, your reservation is number one on our cancellation list.

If you have any further questions feel free to call the hotel back, and speak with me directly.

Vic Patel
GM

Travelers are raving about these Auburn hotels

Boaz, Alabama
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

It's an Econo lodge, dated musty smelling basic lodging. Cheap basic. Stayed here several times. If you get on the side of the war eagle supper club it can be loud on the weekends . Instead of a cheap continual breakfast they do give you coupons to the waffel house

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank roninboaz
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This place has gotten a lot of bad reviews, but our experience was just fine. It's a cheap-ish place, wasn't the most comfortable bed... But it was clean, no bugs, mostly quiet, and very friendly staff. MILES better than the Days Inn down the street. I'd be okay staying here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LMM1983
Daphne, AL
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Look, I know Auburn is in the Deep South and I did stay at this Econolodge in late July so one roach wouldn't really raise my eyebrow, but when you see a couple more within a few hours and see even more on the outside of the building, I have to draw the line somewhere.

This Econolodge has been ridden hard and is showing the wear. Carpet worn, not very clean, dirty caulking, some peeling on the ceiling in the bathroom---you get the picture. I was on the end away from the lobby on the first floor. There was a complimentary couch on the end of the building outside my room! Sit on at your own risk.

They do have a complimentary breakfast but it's next door. You get a voucher for a waffle at the Waffle House next door.

It's rundown on the inside and needs a good cleaning and face lift. Our room with two doubles was $60/night and that was the only bright spot. It's cheap but if you've got a thing about bugs, you might want to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Bring you own can of Raid.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Infrequent_Tourist
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This place was absolutely disgusting! I DO NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. It was so gross that we couldn't even bare to stay there, we would have slept in our cars before this place. The door stuck and you literally have to shove the door hard to open it. It smelled gross
and musty and the AC didn't work. There were brown stains all over the shower and on the door. The paint was peeling and huge blood colored stains on the carpet. There were food crumbs and dirt in the bed and black burn looking marks. And worst of all there were dead spiders and bugs in cracks and such and I even had to kill a cockroach!! I didn't want to sit down or touch anything! THIS PLACE IS SO GROSS!! DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank 123abc45
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Parking was very bad, had to park on far side, not even close to room. Room service left our door open enough to just push it open and thank god nothing got stolen. The room was not very clean at all. Will never stay here again and we cut our stay here early

• Stayed June 2012