““Delicious Brunch in Local atmosphere ””
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hound

The Hound
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hound is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 214 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Birmingham, Alabama
““Delicious Brunch in Local atmosphere ””
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

My son and I had brunch on a Sunday morning on our way out of town. We both tried the mocha indulgences - Iced Crack strong and good but the Mocha Dark Chocolate was delish! Our meal was just as indulgent and tasty. The Green Tomato Bennie was light and flavorful. I am not a big fan of pork belly but the few small bites I had made the dish complete. My son had the Granola French Toast. For those who love Disney's Polynesian Tonga Toast, he said this French Toast was better. We will come back.

• Visited July 2014

Lanett, Alabama
“Expensive Bad Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

This restaurant looks pretty good, but the menu is limited and the food isn't any good. We had the wild game sausage and the figs for appetizers. The sausage was chewy and strong. The two guys at our table ate it all. The girls didn't like it. The girls ate the figs which were pretty tasty. For our entrees, the two guys had the burgers and seemed to like them okay. One gal had the chicken which she did not like. I ordered the beet salad topped with the snapper special. The salad was good, but the snapper was the worst I've ever had! It was tough and chewy, not at all light and flaky like snapper should be. The waitress was concerned that I didn't eat the fish and offered to take off the up charge for it. I agreed that she should do that. So my dinner consisted of one fig and a small beet salad. I left the restaurant hungry which a diner should never have to do. In my opinion, they should have offered something to replace the snapper. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank KatEagle
Auburn, Alabama
“Our favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I absolutely love The Hound. I'd say we visit about once a week, sometimes just for drinks, sometimes for a meal. Their Sunday brunch is outstanding - great selection of quality food, $1 mimosas, and their house-cured bacon is just incredible.

Great beer selection with drafts that change regularly, and they have a very strong cocktail menu as well.

Try going on Thursday right at 5:00 for their 50/50 burger (half ground pork belly, half beef). Out of this world. But they only make 30 of them so get there early. All of their food is pretty great - I recommend the meatloaf. If you're a local, it will be a regular favorite; if you're in town for a short time, it's somewhere you've got to hit up before you leave.

1 Thank WTWDE
“Beer and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

The bacon grilled cheese was awesome and they have a great beer selection. We all had a great time but the dinner menu is a little high priced.

Nashville, Tennessee
“Five "Woofs" @ Five Paws Up”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

Talk about an out of the way hidden gem. This place is it!

Found out about The Hound online and would have never found it on my own. I even had trouble finding it with Google Maps. Luckily I did find it because what I found was great. It doesn't look like much from the outside until you open the door using the antler door handles. Once in I was greeted by a friendly hostess and was escorted to the rustic dining room. As I was seated I was told my server's name and as I was about to be seated I spied a bucket-o-porkrinds being delivered to my neighbors. I knew I was in the right spot.

My server Mickey promptly arrived and took my drink order as I paroused the menu. Lots to choose from and a wide selection. I initially had the turkey, bacon avocado sandwich selected but after Mickey informed me of the daily lunch special I was sold. Grouper Po Boy. I also opted for the side salad instead of fries. A boy has to watch his figure. :P

The food arrived in about 15 minutes and was presented on a small metal plate with wax paper on it. It looked very appetizing. Shortly after that Mickey offered me three hot sauces to try. Two locals and a bottle of tobasco. I complied and agreed to sample the locals. One was a California Pepper sauce and the other a Smokey Habeñero. After trying them both I felt the Pepper sauce worked best with fish.

The overall experience here was excellent. The food was hot, fresh and very tasty. The only minor complaint was with the side salad. I selected the house vinaigrette and it was just a little too acidic for my tastes.

I highly recommend this restaurant and give it five Woofs and five paws on the hound dog scale. :-) Enjoy!

1 Thank audart