“Great college bar/restaurant”
Review of The Hound

The Hound
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hound is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 229 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stumbled upon this place after seeing several people enter a tunnel that leads to a parking area from College street. I followed them wanting to know what was back there and assumed since it was lunch time that there must be something good. Boy, was I right!

Pros
I got the pork rinds at the suggestion of the bartender and while they were slightly on the salty side, when they came out they were still popping from being cooked and otherwise tasty. The hand pattied burger came out with the cheese and sliced peppers I ordered. It was outstanding. I had good interaction with both the bartender and another gentleman who I assume was either the owner or the manager.

Cons
I'd send out the pork rinds with a shaker of the salt mixture to let customers salt it to their own taste. The burger that I had ordered medium came out on the rarer side of medium rare, which is ok by me, but I'd bet a lot of people would send it back. Just keep an eye on that.

Overall
I loved this place. Great food, great service, all in a unique atmosphere.

1  Thank Harry R

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Make a reservation if you can. We had a long wait without one on a busy Saturday night. Enjoyed our visit and meal despite the long wait. Don't miss the bacon wrapped dates! I had the gem salad and it was really good. Lettuce tasted very tender and fresh. Kids enjoyed the place too, ages 6 & 9. No published kids menu but they split a regular burger and fries and had plenty. Good family meal experience overall.

1  Thank Angie0077
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I ate here during a weekend business and pleasure trip. The drink/beer/wine menus are extensive and very good. Beer lovers will not be disappointed as their are some unique choices! There at a lot of cocktail/liquor choices but I did not imbibe so I cannot comment. The food was good. I had veggie lasagna which was good but not great. My husband had a steak and it looked outstanding. The service was very good, also. I did feel some of the prices were a little high.

1  Thank lindsjanem
Reviewed March 15, 2014

From the moment you walk in it's like being in an old hunting lodge! This place is so damn cool! The alcohol menu is second-to-none, and when I say that I mean it. It is a whisky drinker's paradise, with over a hundred different whiskies to include bourbon, Irish, and Scotch. I can't say enough about the food, Scotch eggs are exceptionally made with a spicy southern twist on a traditional classic. Great steaks, and wonderful service. It's earned a spot as one of the more high-end eateries in Auburn, and certainly lives up to it. Origionally called 'Bloodhounds', it is now just 'The Hound'. I would recommend eating their during the day, as night time it is converted into a live music kind of bar/club...not my scenery of choice. During the daytime they lace this blugrassy old-school twangy country music that just makes you feel like you're eating a feast after a day's hunting wild game. I really like this place! Kudos to the owners and staff!

1  Thank TinoNacho
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Auburn is a great college town with an surprising number of good restaurants. Whenever I visit my son he wants to go to The Hound. I love this place. It's casual enough for sleepy students but nice enough for the whole family to feel comfortable here. They get everything right. The staff is so friendly and the service is well paced. The food is imaginative and delicious. They have all of the southern favorites with modern touches. Foodies will not be disappointed.