“Very nice pet friendly hotel”

The Hotel at Auburn University
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Auburn
New Orleans, LA
“Very nice pet friendly hotel”
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I found this hotel due to the fact we were traveling to Auburn, Alabama for a funeral but needed a pet friendly hotel. I'll try to break up this review in sections. We stayed for 1 night.

Location/parking
The hotel has plenty of free parking and finding it was fairly easy, just get off the interstate and head down the main highway, hotel is on the right once you get to the campus. Location wise the hotel is in a great location as it's basically on Auburn University campus, with very attractive park like areas surrounding the hotel and nice wide sidewalks (perfect for walking your dog). This was a major plus.

Check-in
Lobby is very nice and staff greeted us promptly and check in was a breeze. Every staff member we saw in the lobby always greeted us with a smile and a greeting. They also seemed very knowledgeable. We had reserved a deluxe king room and a double bed room, each for $120/night.

Rooms
One of the rooms we had was a deluxe king room which had a nice large tub, modern furniture, and dark hardwood/tile type floors. The other room we reserved was a double bed room which had 2 twin size beds (note, these are not queen size beds), a walk-in shower and carpet/tile type floors. We really enjoyed our room, beds did have slightly scratchy sheets but honestly it didn't really affect me.

We didn't order room service or eat lunch or dinner in the restaurant downstairs so I cannot comment on that but we did eat breakfast there. It was a buffet style breakfast, with everything from made-to-order omelettes to lemon poppy-seed cake. Very nice selection and the staff was very quick to pour freshly squeezed orange juice or fresh coffee. The breakfast was $11.50 per person, so keep this in mind. You can also charge it to the room which is always nice.

Fitness Center
Although I didn't use the fitness center during our stay I did pass by it several times and they had several nice modern machines and it looked really clean with fresh towels laid out.

Check-out
Check-out was a breeze just like check-in and I thought this was important note that you can ask them to check-out late, up to 2pm without getting charged extra. If you check-out between 2pm-4pm you'll get charged half a day extra, and if you check-out after 4pm you'll get charged a full day.

Pet Fee
They don't charge a pet fee but they do charge a refundable deposit upon check-in and refunded back to you after you check-out and the room is cleaned by housekeeping and they find no damage done by your pet.

Overall
I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone traveling to the Auburn, Alabama area. We really enjoyed our stay there and would stay again if our travels bring us to Auburn in the future.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Phowell23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
alabama
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Employees at the desk are rude. Sheets must be at least 140 thread count, they were horribly scratchy. As ritsy as this place claims to be, the sheets could be a LOT better. There were bugs in the bathroom. This is a very expensive place to stay. Housekeeper never came in to give me new towels or make the bed. As much as I paid to stay here, they could have come in to replace the towels. Food in the restaurant is very good, but expensive. There isn't free breakfast bar like all other hotels. The best part of staying here is that it is right across the street from Auburn University and there is free parking.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
ohio
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I have stayed here a couple of times in the past and the upgrades are very surprising. It's easy to forget that this is a "lab" for people learning about hotel and resturant management...they do a really nice job with the hotel. All of the staff were really nice, including front desk staff and housekeeping. Some of the staff need a little better instruction in how to answer questions...not that they weren't helpful but just didn't know the information. Resturant was also surprisingly good. Would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the Auburn area.

• Liked — Beds were nice and room was recently updated
  • Disliked — Could hear noise from the halls and other rooms...such as the alarm that went off in a room near mine at 4:20 AM
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Alabama
Reviewed January 24, 2008

We visited this hotel numerous times in 2007 as we were preparing to send our oldest daughter off to college. We initially selected this hotel for its location directly across from campus and were not really concerned about amenities or anything other than having a place to crash at the end of the day. However, to our pleasant surprise this is an absolutely terrific hotel that greatly exceeded our expectations!

Our initial check-in (and subsequent ones) were always a delight. The staff there is incredibly friendly and go above and beyond welcoming guests. We're big pet lovers and it was not unusual to see guests with their pets coming and going through the beautifully appointed lobby.

In the evenings my husband and I greatly enjoyed relaxing in the bar and sharing some really fabulous appetizers. They have an extensive wine list and very friendly bartenders who are all Auburn students. The bar is really beautiful and has an adjoining area with sofas and a fireplace that is a terrific way to just sit back and end the day.

We also decided to try dinner there one evening. The weather was perfect so we sat outside on their patio and had a superb dinner from their restaurant, Ariccia. Once again, the service was fantastic and the food really exceeded our expectations. Our server was another Auburn student who explained that the majority of the staff there are students studying hospitality.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Auburn! We will definitely be back many times over the next few years.

• Liked — The super friendly staff.
  • Disliked — We liked everything.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Gainesville, Fl
Reviewed November 12, 2007

We stayed here for 2 nights on a non football weekend. If you want to get the true Auburn experience you have to stay here. Campus and downtown Auburn are just outside the hotel's front door. Our room was nice and quiet. The free high speed internet worked well. We ate at the hotel restaurant for dinner and did not feel it was worth the cost. Our $16 pasta entree was good but should have only cost $10-$11. Will definetly stay here again when visiting Auburn.

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank AU-GNV-FL
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 26, 2007

Unfortunately, I had to title this review "MAYBE recommend" as opposed to my last one for this hotel which I titled "DEFINITELY recommend". My husband and I just returned from a two night stay during our daughter's trip to "Camp War Eagle", Auburn's college orientation session. I once again chose this hotel mainly because of it's location on campus and the fact that some of the parent's meetings we wanted to attend were to be held in their conference rooms.
As before, we experienced a very friendly staff, including the front desk. We arrived early for the meetings and were allowed to go ahead and check in prior to their "official" check in time of 3:00 pm. All they had available was a standard room with two doubles (I requested a king) but I wanted to secure our room so I took it. (On our last stay we received a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe king).
This is where the "maybe recommend" comes in. We found that the room was on the back side of the hotel overlooking the pool, and was nothing like the last room we stayed in. It had a musty smell upon entering and was in serious need of updating. The walls had stains on them and the furniture was worn. The toilet in the bathroom had what we finally decided were stains and not mildew but it was very unsightly. The shower was clean for the most part but there were a few small mildew stains on the walls of that as well. The daily housekeeping was adequate...they just need to do some "heavy cleaning" in this room and perhaps replace the toilet. On a positive note, I'd like to mention, I always leave a tip for housekeeping on a daily basis, and in all my travels, this is the first time I ever received a thank you note! Very nice!
As I said, all the staff we've encountered are friendly and helpful. We visited the bar in the hotel's one restaurant and both the bartenders on duty were great! I asked for a particular martini they hadn't heard of and with a smile, one of them said "you tell us what goes in it...we'll make it for you!"
We didn't eat in the restaurant so I can't comment on that but it appears to be upscale and had a nice outdoor dining area. I did get coffee and a muffin at the small "kiosk" outside the restaurant and the muffin was fresh and delicious...ditto the coffee.
Be aware that parking at the hotel is limited right now because they are repaving it. It was very hard to find a parking space...and this doesn't appear to be on the verge of completetion any time soon.
We didn't visit the pool, but we could see it easily from our room on the third floor. It was small, but appeared clean. However, from what we could see...it too could use some updating.
This is the third time we've stayed at this hotel and I would stay here again, although I would definitely pay a little more and book a deluxe king, hoping the room would be similar to the far superior one we stayed in last time.

• Liked — Location/friendly staff
  • Disliked — Standard room in need of renovation
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank phw0923
Kentucky
Reviewed March 10, 2007

Very disappointed. When we arrived we were waiting in line at the check out desk and they didn't even acknowledge our presence, instead another person just walked right up and checked in. Our room was fairly nice, but nothing in theme with the beautiful lobby; don't be too excited when checking in... our toilet wouldn't flush, the phone wouldn't dial out, the bathtub drain was broken and wouldn't close, and the TV was so fuzzy we couldn't watch the movie that was on TV. Needless to say I won't be staying here again. I tried to call the front desk to chec out and was given the operator who told me to wait 10-15 minutes and call back because the front desk was so busy! I walked down there and there was nobody there. While I checked out I very politely told the receptionist of all of the problems in the room and she simply wrote them down and said sorry about that and handed me my reciept. Next time I'm staying at Holiday Inn Express down the road or staying at the Hampton Inn at East Chase and driving for 40 minutes, that way I know my $150 for a one night stay is getting me what I PAYED for.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple