“Great place!”

The Hotel at Auburn University
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Auburn
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed here the night of our wedding, before we set off for our honeymoon. It was a nice hotel with a fantastic Sunday brunch! Very clean with friendly staff (that upgraded our room once they found out we'd just gotten married!). We'd recommend it to all our friends.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
David_Merryman, Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear Treblehop:

Congratulations on your wedding, and thank you for spending your wedding night with us here at The Hotel at Auburn University.

Our reception staff loves to surprise our guests with unexpected touches that turns an ordinary stay into a memorable experience; it's great to hear that you enjoyed the upgrade that they provided for you! As our guests and locals know, our Sunday Jazz Brunch is a fantastic way to start the day, so I'm happy that you had a chance to join us for that prior to your departure.

Thank you again for your review of your experience, and I hope you had a wonderful Honeymoon; we hope to welcome you back to The Hotel at Auburn University in the future!

Executive Assistant Manger - Rooms Division

Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

As Auburn newbies we've come to fall in love with this hotel. Great staff. Lotsa history. Incredibly handy location for instant campus and downtown Auburn access. Highly recommend and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2012
David_Merryman, Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear RCTALLEY:

Thank you so much for your recent stay at The Hotel at Auburn University, and making us your home away from home in Auburn.

While our location on the doorstep of Auburn University makes us a popular choice for those visiting the area, I like to think that it is our staff that keeps our guests coming back year after year. We are truly lucky to have a fantastic team of hospitality students and professionals who work tirelessly to ensure our guests have an experience at the hotel that is second to none.

Thank you again for your kind words; we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Auburn!

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as it was the choice of the people organizing the wedding we were attending in Auburn. The staff were very friendly and attentive. The upgraded king bed room size was adequate but not much larger than the regular king. The room was clean and furnishings average. The worst part of our stay was the noise you could hear from every door in the hallways and the noise we heard in our room. They defiantly need to do something about the insulation between rooms and replace or enhance the room doors. The hotel was quite pricey but I understand that the prices are higher on a graduation weeded, which was when we were there. The hotel is pet friendly which is great - a big plus in my book.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
David_Merryman, Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Dear Novice276:

Thank you so much for your recent stay and review of your experience at The Hotel at Auburn University.

Please accept my apologies for the trouble you experience with hallway noise. We are always looking for ways to reduce outside noise in our guest rooms and will certainly look to see if there are any other options available to us to try. Please don't ever hesitate to contact our Reception Desk if you are being disturbed by noise; all of our employees are empowered to fix any guest issues so that you have an enjoyable and relaxing visit with us.

We are definitely a pet friendly hotel, so if you find yourself back in Auburn, we would love to have you (and any four legged friends) as our guest once again!

Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed here for one night and were impressed with the service, cleanliness and value. We did not have reservations because we made a last minute decision to visit Auburn University while on vacation. To our surprise, there was availability and a summer discount. This hotel was very comfortable, very clean, and convenient to Auburn University. The shower was big, the rooms were more than ample size and the staff was friendly. It was the best hotel of our vacation!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
David_Merryman, Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Dear MaryEllen B:

Thank you so much for staying with us and for providing such a positive review of your experience.

Our staff of hospitality professionals and students in training take great pride in the hotel and strive to provide our guests with a Five Star experience every day. I am so pleased that you found us to be the best hotel of your trip; I have shared your comments with our team and they truly appreciate your complements!

I hope that we get the chance to welcome you back to The Hotel at Auburn University should your travels bring you back to the Auburn area.

With Regards,

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed here for five nights for a conference at the hotel.

The service at the reception area was great. They helped me out small inquiries and were always so welcoming and friendly.

The room was good. Spacious, clean and nicely decorated. I especially liked that there was lots of storage so that I could unpack my entire luggage. That’s especially nice if you are staying there for a longer time. The air-con was a bit noisy so I often turned it off a night..

The hotel worked great as a conference venue and the food for lunch and tea/coffee breaks was really great.

I also enjoyed the small (but modern) gym and the nice pool area.

The breakfast was good, but sometime the service was a bit slow. I normally went for the continental but had the full breakfast the last day. Pancakes, omelets etc. are ordered from you waiter. My pancake was OK but nothing spectacular.

Cocktails at the bar was awesome.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
David_Merryman, Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Dear MsBellarosa:

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of your experience at The Hotel at Auburn University and Dixon Conference Center.

We have a fantastic team of hospitality professionals and students who intend to make a life long career in the hospitality profession. They work tirelessly to meet and exceed the expectation of our guests, and it is so rewarding to share reviews such as yours with them; they truly appreciate your praise and recognition of a job well done.

We are continually looking to improve and upgrade our facilities and offerings for our guests, and through the end of the year, there are many new and exciting changes coming to the hotel, especially with the unveiling of the beautifully re-designed Ariccia dining room; we hope that should your travels bring you back to Auburn, you will be able to experience these new upgrades in person!

Thank you again for your stay and your review; we look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel at Auburn University!

Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel at Auburn University for 4 nights while moving into town.
The fact that they allowed pets was our number one factor for choosing the hotel.
While they allowed pets, they had no area to walk the dog. We had to cross the busy street to use the University Library.
While parking and internet were free, there were no other perks at this hotel.
The hotel resturant was expensive so I can't speak to the quality of the food.
Overall I was dissapointed in this hotel for the price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
David_Merryman, Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Dear HemmesFamily:

Thank you for your recent stay with us while you were moving into Auburn. I'm happy to see that you enjoyed our central location across the street from Auburn University, and that you found the service to be good.

As a dog owner, I certainly understand your disappointment regarding our lack of a dog walking area directly on our property. Unfortunately, due to the central location of the hotel and the scarcity of parking in this area, no green areas were left to provide an area to exercise pets when the hotel was built many years ago. We feel that it is important to our guests that we allow them to bring along their pets when they travel to Auburn, so we will continue to welcome our four legged friends to the hotel and continue to use our guest feedback to refine our pet policy so that it is as convenient and helpful as possible despite the fact that we lack an on property pet exercise area.

Thank you again for your patronage and your feedback; I do hope that you might consider us again should you need future accommodations in Auburn.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

This hotel is really beautiful and in a fantastic location if you are attending Camp War Eagle or in town for a game. It's right across the street from the campus library, one block from the famous Toomer's corner, there is a Five Guys just a block and a half away, and lots of little shops close by. I cannot however, give it 5 stars for the following reasons:

PETS. This hotel may be pet friendly but it is NOT pet convenient. There are no grassy areas to walk your dog on the hotel property. NONE! You must walk to the end of the block and cross at the crosswalk and you can walk your pet near the library or to Samford Hall. You MUST use the crosswalk and you MUST pick up after your pet. Neither did I have a problem with but on rainy days, this was a total pain to do several times a day. On non-rainy days, it was so hot I thought I would pass out waiting for the light to cross the street. Also, twice we almost got hit by cars turning right that did not stop for pedestrians, even though the "WALK" sign was clearly displayed. This hotel has plenty of parking; they need to put in a small, grassy "Pet Walk" area.

A/C. Our room was located on the 6th floor. Great room with a large bathroom, tile shower, etc. The A/C is a wall unit under the window and VERY loud. Also, the room never got cooler than 71 degrees. We thought it might just be our room but after speaking with someone in housekeeping, we were told that most of the sixth floor rooms stay warmer than the others during the summer. We were out most of the day but the nights were awful! We had to sleep under sheets only.

BREAKFAST. Okay, this is where I got really upset. This hotel advertises a "wonderful, full breakfast buffet". That is a joke! They do offer a breakfast buffet but it's the same crappy breakfast you can get for FREE at Holiday Inn Express. The eggs are powdered, the grits are like glue, the biscuits are hard and dry, the sausage has no real meat, the bacon is microwaved and soggy, the yogurt is cheap, and the bread items are just as generic as Holiday Inn. They have one kind of cereal, bran. They had cold boiled eggs, bland white gravy, watery OJ and old coffee. They do have an omelet bar with a cook but it's quite limited. I was so angry when they brought the bill! It was 13.50 per person (there were 4 of us) and they have the nerve to ask for a tip when all the "server" did was bring coffee to my husband! It's a low-end hotel breakfast served in a fancy dining room with white linens and the servers all wear fancy clothes. DON'T BE FOOLED!!!! There is a Waffle House about 3 blocks up the street, as well as a McDonald's and a Burger King.

The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful. The pool is large and the pool area is quite beautiful. The elevators are fast, the fitness area is very nice and parking is abundant.

I would stay here again although I would not bring my dog, I would not eat the breakfast buffet and I would request a room on a lower floor.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 6th floor during the summer.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
David_Merryman, Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Dear Treadburners 67:

Thank you so much for your recent stay at The Hotel at Auburn University, and for offering your fair and balanced review of your visit. We appreciate and welcome all feedback, both positive and negative, as we realize that the true test of a great hotel is how they respond and fix any service inconsistencies that may arise.

I was thrilled to read that you found our hotel to be beautiful and in a perfect location, and was also happy to hear that you found our staff to be very friendly and extremely helpful. As a great majority of our employees are enrolled in the Hospitality Management program at Auburn University, they are eager to learn and please, as they train for a lifetime career in the hospitality industry.

I would like to sincerely apologize to you for your experience with our Breakfast Buffet. The Buffet has become an Auburn institution over the years, and has been very popular with our guests, students, and faculty from the University. In this instance, however, it appears that we did not provide an experience on any level that you would expect or deserve from us. I would like to assure you that we take your comments very seriously and our restaurant management and culinary team will be working to ensure that your experience will not be repeated for you or any of our future guests.

As a dog owner myself, I realize how difficult traveling with a pet can be. Unfortunately, we have limited options regarding grassy areas at the hotel proper, due to the configuration of the hotel when it was built and its location. We are currently re-working our Pet Program in order to make it easier for our four legged guests and their owners to find the best places to get out and around, in a safe and convenient fashion.

Thank you again for your recent stay and review of The Hotel at Auburn University and I hope that your future visits with us will be memorable for all the right reasons.

With Regards,