“Just "OK"”

Mikata Japanese Steak House
Ranked #64 of 226 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Reviewed January 8, 2012

The "Chef" appeared to be a trainee. While the food was reasonably tasty, it appeared that he was not capable preparing more than one item at a time.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

New Sushi Chef!!!!! On a recent visit to Auburn, I was pleasantly surprised to find out a new sushi chef was behind the sushi bar. New rolls and great tasting sushi. We had sushi three nights in a row. My favorite rolls are the Spicy Girls, Tsunami Roll, and the Flame Roll. Flame Roll might be one of the spiciest rolls I've ever tasted. I've been to Juliana and won't go back, Fuji is ok but now Mikata is the place to go for sushi in Auburn. My only complaint is the sushi seating. You can eat the drinking bar, the sushi bar,sit on couches but there really aren't many tables set up for sushi. This would be a big add to the place. '

Reviewed February 2, 2011

Ok let me start with please read this whole review! You will save money! First of all i do want to say the food was good.
When they ask you if you want steamed or fried rice they dont tell you it costs 2.00 extra for fried rice. (which is not listed on the menu) And please tell them that if there is 6 people in your party and the other two are going to be seperate because they are going to sit at the same table anyway. They will charge you a 17% gratuity. We ended up paying 17.00 for a tip for 4 people! Ridiculous! Also if you have a child and get them a small child cup, they will charge you for an adult drink and they dont tell you this until you get the bill. They tell you they put it in a child cup so they wont spill it. Also It was my sons birthday, and they dont tell you they are going to charge you for the pineapple they bring them. None of these were listed on the menu or told to you before you order. Absolutely RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! Iif you dont belive me then go there and look at your bill and you will see. Also the waitress was very very rude about it when i asked her. I will not ever ever go there again!!!!!!!!

4  Thank coinman09
Reviewed May 22, 2010

We did not sit at the hibachi tables, but opted for the sushi. If you enjoy mayo on sushi this place may be for you. The nigiri presentation was poor, instead of a bed of rice with a piece of sashimi it was a ball of rice with a piece of fish thrown over the top. Every sushi roll we ordered seemed to be a california roll with something different on top. Even rolls that were supposed to be something more inside were still just california rolls. I've had better sushi from Juliano Tokyo(downtown) and Fuji(S College). Overall the sushi was very dissapointing, especially with the mayo in all the sauces. Take a look at the menu online, the special sauce and spicy sauce are mayo based, nasty. Service was good and again we did not experience the hibachi grill. I am only speaking of the sushi bar. We will probably never go back to try the hibachi.

Reviewed April 27, 2010

We really enjoy going to Mikata. Our young son loves the entertainment the enthusiastic chefs provide and I personally believe the Sushi prepared here is probably the best anywhere in the area. The chef who prepares it is a elderly Japanese gentlemen who you can tell definitely takes pride in his craft and has had extensive training in delivering top quality prepared cuisine.

In addition to your entree you will also recieve a savory soup, house salad, additional grilled vegtables, and ice cream dessert should you desire. You also may find yourselves instantly wrapped in pleasant conversation with other nice patrons seated beside you at the large, open Hibatchi tables.

We definitely feel that Mikata is Auburn's #1 choice for delicious Japanese-style Steak, Seafood, and Sushi. I wouldn't imagine it being better or giving anywhere else a try. Mikata has just won our hearts.

1  Thank bethoc