“Not what I expected but still nice”

Little River State Forest
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Atmore
Reviewed May 27, 2008

The lake is absolutely beautiful! I could fish this lake all day. There is a playground, numerous shaded picnic tables, bath house (it's clean), boat launch, full campground with a cabin, and pavilions. The lady in the office is great - she was both helpful and nice. This park would be great for a family wanting to picnic, swim, and fish.

Now having said that... I went to Little River State Park for the hiking trails - CCC/Bell Trail and Gazebo Trail - I was VERY disappointed! I purchased A Falcon Guides book – Hiking Alabama – the book gave a wonderful description so I just had to go to these trails! (I guess the author isn’t a hiker) The trails are nothing more than old logging roads. The forest that surrounds the lake is being harvested! I am originally from Tennessee and the land at this park reminded me of how Westvaco mines the land. There are very few hard woods left and no hurricane did this type of damage.

Overall, the man-made lake is beautiful and worth the trip but don’t bother going for the hiking…

(Things have changed since the 2006 review)

Reviewed April 4, 2006

This park, formerly known as Claude D Kelley State Park, is a nice weekend getaway in the piney woods of south Alabama. You can arrive any time you want, they don't have a gate. Tent camping is cheap,$12 a nite for 5 of us with 2 tents. The park has a nice lake with a spillway you can drive across, there's fishing and swimming, and you can rent a boat, canoe, or paddleboat. If you want to strech your legs, there are hiking trails, but they are not that scenic.
I didn't see the inside of the cabin that they rent, but from what I saw outside, I wouldn't want to stay there (verrry rustic). The building that has the office also contains the restrooms and showers, and are repulsive. The constant roaring that you hear is a nearby natural gas well.

5  Thank Wolfbayplayer