“THE WIND CREEK CASINO & HOTEL IS #1 IN MY BOOK!!”

Wind Creek Casino & Hotel, Atmore
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Atmore
Reviewed February 24, 2010

I think the service in the grill and both buffets were great! The hotel staff were very friendly and helpfull to us. MY wife is wheel chair bound they were very helpfull assisting us and made sure are viset was a pleasent one. Even tho we left not winning we both had a great time thanks to the friendly staff. Love the food also. I think the location in atmore is great one.! It give me a relaxed feeling away from the crowded city. We will be returning for sure! Prefer winncreek over bolixi miss anytime! The last thing i want to say is the employees do make you feel welcome. Plan to go again very soon.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 23, 2010

We were curious about this shiny new casino in the middle of nowhere and decided to give it a go on a Friday night.

We were initially tickled by the huge (real) dirigible circling the casino, which was visible for miles away when we drove up. It made for some neat pics against the sunset. If you can ignore the tacky advertising on the blimp, it's a fun thing to watch. We found out the morning when we were leaving, when the blimp was moored, that you can buy rides on it, though the employee who told us that didn't know how much rides were.

Inside the hotel, our room was clean and orderly, and the two-person shower was huge. Decor was modest, nothing extraordinary.

One minor annoyance was that a main bulb was burned out in the room. Housekeeping should check that each visit. The main annoyance though was the key cards, both of which stopped working and required a long hike from the 12th floor to the lobby. And they blamed it on user error, of course - politely asking (scolding) us, did you put it near your cell phones? No, and each of us carried one separately, so they are not being correctly programmed at the desk.

We were given $20 in free slot play (they initially told us $20 each, then rescinded that when we went to collect) for being first-time guests, and 2 free buffets. We figured by going to dinner later, we'd avoid the rush. That was a mistake.

We went around 8 p.m. and were told it would be at least an hour and a half wait for just two of us. People lined the casino perimeter, waiting for the buffet. We thought that surely the wait couldn't be that long. Well, it was every minute of that, and then some. If you need to eat at certain times (diabetic, etc.) plan well in advance for this wait. For such a huge casino, the buffet seating area is comparatively small.

The buffet maitre'd gave us one of those restaurant-type buzzers for seating call but told us we couldn't leave the main floor or it wouldn't work. We wandered the casino while waiting (as I'm sure they intended), but I can only play slots for so long before I get bored.

Also, it was so crowded that hardly any machines were available for play. People circled like sharks in a crowded parking lot. Even if you found an available machine, somebody would be impatiently waiting for it, standing behind you and blowing smoke on your head. That isn't my idea of fun.

Everyone there was a smoker but us, I think. Yes, casinos and smokers are like Ozzy and Harriet, but I've been in casinos where it's not quite so overwhelming. The air is not well-circulated. By the time we finally got into the buffet, I almost didn't have any appetite left from inhaling heavy, concentrated smoke for hours. Anyone who is asthmatic or sensitive to smoke will be miserable in this place.

Most disappointing I think was the lack of any real "glitz" or interesting decor that one often finds in casinos. There was a small, overpriced gift shop and nothing else for the non-gamblers to see or do.

In the end, for the money spent I'd rather have gone to a nice hotel minus the smoke, and had a better meal to boot. Because despite the agonizing wait, the buffet was only average, and they were already shutting it down by the time we got in, so we felt rushed and a little cheated.

We wanted to leave some comments about these issues right then and there at the end of our visit, but there were no comment cards in the rooms.

We were told at the front desk that we could email so-and-so @ such-and-such, which of course is not worth the hassle and they know it. So, that final irritant sealed the deal, and I don't think we will return.

3  Thank Blue_Morpho_Flyer
Reviewed February 22, 2010

The casino is not bad at all. The rewards are much better than in Biloxi. I just wish they had more than one floor of machines. They attract more people than they have the space to hold. My last visit we were literally lined up waiting for a machine to come available. The rooms are specatacular!!! No complaints there. The buffet is cool. But the Grill is terrible when it comes to service. They never have enough workers. For the Grill to be available 24/7, the should have enough staff available. They don't!!!! Service is terrible!!! You have to wait forever to get seated! Then wait forever to get greeted at the table, and when you are finall ready to pay, you have to wait again!! Forget talking to a manager, there are none available.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank LovinLifeEternity
Reviewed February 21, 2010

The Wind Creek Casino and Hotel seems oddly out of place, as it rises close to 20 stories out of the fields in rural Alabama. There's really nothing much else around, except for the small town of Atmore a few miles away. The high rise design means everyone is right on top of the casino, and you have to go by it to get to your room. The architecture rewards guests with sweeping views of the landscape -- the kind of view you're unlikely to find from most high rises. And the hotel itself is really, really nice! Great rooms, friendly and helpful staff, and a really fine restaurant (Fire Steakhouse).

ROOMS: These are nice, comfortable and spotless, with an especially good bathroom. The shower has a double shower head (how did I live without that?). They don't put the soap and bath amenities in your room. Instead, they give you a very complete amenity kit at check-in -- your choice from three scents. The bed was super comfortable, with plenty of pillows. Our king room also had two comfortable chairs and a 42" flat screen TV. Don't get excited about the TV, though. Like a lot of hotels, they are still giving you stretched analog pictures on a digital screen, at least for the regular free TV channels. In-room movies are available, too.

STAFF: Everyone we've had contact with has been friendly and helpful It's a small town, and the staff has that welcoming vibe that you'll often find in small places. From the maid to the front desk to our servers, everyone was great.

RESTAURANTS: There are three of them and a small coffee shop. The Taste buffet is most popular and serves good food, but nothing special. It's a pretty good value overall. The Grill is quick, inexpensive, and serves comfort food like burgers and Alabama catfish. Then there's the Fire Steakhouse -- it's a dining experience that will rival any upscale steakhouse, and we had a truly memorable meal there. The filet was as good or better than any I've had before, and we were treated to plenty of extras and attentive service.

PARKING: They have valet and plenty of self-parking close to the entrance. No garage, just a big lot. But there were big swaths of close-up parking even on a Saturday night. You need to turn before you reach the hotel's main driveway to get the best self-parking spaces. Not too many people see that lot and go to the more crowded lot just past the main hotel entrance.

INTERNET ACCESS: It's free, but signal connectivity was low in our room and web pages loaded very slowly. They use a basic unsecured wireless network, so I didn't want to use it much.

ADDITIONAL AMENITIES: The complex has an outdoor pool, a full-service spa, an amphitheater with occasional live shows from name acts; and it boasts a cooking school. The hotel regularly brings in top chefs for cooking lessons. They have a blimp (!) too, which is used for marketing and flies around Mobile a lot.

VALUE: It's usually easy to grab rooms for about $99 - $119 a night, depending on the day of the week, making this hotel a great place to stay even if you're just passing through the area. Atmore isn't really a destination, and at more than 50 miles from Mobile, Wind Creek really isn't a practical place to base yourself if that's where you want to be. But the hotel complex is its own destination, and even if you don't gamble, there's enough going on for a weekend of fun.

Reviewed February 12, 2010

Despite being a beautifully designed hotel casino with modern appointments, this was my first and last visit to the Wind Creek. It seemed a relative bargain at $119 for a Saturday night, but I was sadly mistaken. Upon arrival, I was aggravated to find the nearly empty parking lot adjacent to the hotel reserved for the ‘platinum’ casino members. Other hotel guests were forced to valet, circle for the few decent spots, hoof it from the back forty, or bust through the gate arm (which some did). No garage for anyone. I was checked-in by a pleasant front desk staffer who provided friendly, albeit incorrect information. I arrived at my room to find the contemporary and fashionable features they advertise- top notch bed, 42” HDTV, free internet, and an incredible bathroom, however, the modern flush toilet would jettison its contents up and outward, before down, so use caution. Off to the casino- I pressed the elevator button, and when the doors opened there were three Poarch Creek policemen and a couple security guards wrestling a man to the floor. Everyone including the assailant stopped and stared at me wide-eyed for a few seconds until the doors closed. “No problem, I’ll catch the next one.” After arriving at the casino I immediately noticed the depressing atmosphere due to the sketchy people hovering around, poor smoke filtration, few waitresses, weak machines with little variety, and the local clientele feeding the slots with their public assistance money. I played a while, broke even, and went over to the 24 hour Grill Café for a hamburger. I experienced shockingly slow service. I thought management would want to get you fed and back out on the casino floor instead of wasting an hour and ten minutes for a hamburger. I’d seen enough and went back to the room for sleep. At 4:46 am, I was abruptly awoken by the gentlemen (I use the term with reckless abandon) next door who were having a heated argument over who’s turn it was to pay for the crack they had purchased. After an hour, I was considering mediating the dispute before the inevitable gunshots tore through the paper-thin walls, but fortunately they settled the argument on their own accord. I have never smelled crack before, so I can only speculate if the acrid stench (a combination of burning rubber, floor cleaner, citrus, sugar, and vomit) that began wafting in through the door we shared was indeed crack, but I was able to rapidly fall asleep. Anyway, I woke up on time via the high-tech alarm clock, quickly showered under the dual heads using the signature line of bath products, and packed up. As I left the Atmore, I was greeted by a courteous valet who asked me “how was your stay.” Great, thank you! I hope my experience was unique.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
8  Thank rporatario
Reviewed February 6, 2010

This was our first trip to Wind Creek Hotel and Casino. Everything was excellent! Every staff member was extremely courteous. The room was so comfortable and CLEAN! We had lunch at the buffet and breakfast at the
Grill (huge portions) The food was excellent at both. One thing I would definitely advise everyone to do is go to the cooking school! Chef Ben was great! We prepared a gourmet meal and throughly enjoyed eating our masterpiece along with the wine they served. It was so much fun! The kitchen facilities were "chef quality". Can't wait to go back in warmer weather and enjoy the pool facilities and outdoor area.

1  Thank knoxtenntraveler
Reviewed February 1, 2010

The nite my husband I stayed, he had the best time. My husband stated that the food was better than any other casino restaurant we've been to. The site was clean the employees very friendly. My husband enjoyed so much, we have just planned a nother trip for Valentine weekn.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank keithsweat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atmore
Fairfield Inn & Suites Atmore
#1 of 2 in Bay Minette
M Star Hotel Atmore
M Star Hotel Atmore
#5 of 5 in Atmore

Been to Wind Creek Casino & Hotel, Atmore? Share your experiences!