“Do not stay here. I repeat, do not stay here.”
Review of Travel Inn

Travel Inn
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed February 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed here recently when we had to rest from a long drive home from Florida. This place looks like something out of the 1970's. The big security monitor on the front desk should have been our first clue. Towels that used to be white, a bathroon that reeked of smoke (we asked for non-smoking.) Broken furniture, pillows I was afraid to put my head on . . . the list goes on. Just an overall feeling that this is a very seedy place - we got up at five in the morning to make our stay as short as possible. Keep driving or go the the Hampton Inn next door and pay extra - what we should have done.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank k r

Reviewed July 5, 2011

We arrived late at night on our way up north. We checked in and found a dirty towel hanging in the bathroom and the towels in the room looked dirty. The sink was horrible and the shower head was in need of repair. Bugs were flying around in the room. The breakfast bar consisted of Little Debbie Snack cakes....Do not stay here....

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank randalwest
Reviewed April 9, 2009

This is an old motel that's been given a slight face lift. Once you get inside the room you can tell the age of the motel. It was clean but the pipes in the bathroom made banging noises all night long.

The free breakfast bar was extremely disappointing so we went next door to the Cracker Barrel. No yogurt, no oatmeal only crappy food and very little of that.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank potteryone
Reviewed September 18, 2008

We love the location of this motel because it is right off the highway and very convenient to gas stations and you can walk to the Cracker Barrel for meals but the room was dirty and smelled and the breakfast area was absolutely filthy! The state should send an inspector; I am certain it would not pass inspection! It's really too bad because it is in a wonderful location. We have stayed there on our way to Florida in April and again on our way home in September for the last three years but have noticed that it has been going down hill each year a little bit more. I do not think I can stay another year unless there is some major renovations and cleaning up of the place! Also our room had little bugs flying around and I just read in one of the other reviews that their room was infested with fleas. I don't know if that is what was in our room or not, but I certainly hope not. I thought perhaps they were knats. I will call management tomorrow but would prefer to call corporate if I knew how to do so.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank bailey1936
Reviewed July 25, 2008

Recently, I blew a tire on I-65 on the way to Gulf Shores. My wife and I stayed at the Comfort in off exit 351 (I-65.)

We checked in, and dropped off our bags, and put our dog (in its kennel) in the room. We left for about one hour to go eat.

When we got back to the room, we noticed small black bugs all over our luggage and the floor. Upon further inspection, we found that the room was completely infested with fleas. We had to wash our dog in anto-flea shampoo 5 times over the next few days to rid her of the hundreds that attacked her in this one hour. We checked out immediately upon noticing. The manager later told us that we brought the fleas with us.

This is a disgusting hotel, and you wouldbe better off sleeping in your car!

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank mrwilkes
Reviewed May 21, 2008

Almost brand-new looking and nicely-appointed with lots of tile, granite and modern details. Enjoyed the indoor pool and whirlpool and exercise fitness room. Room spacious, clean and quiet with comfortable towels, comfy bed and problem-free wireless access. Really no complaints - didn't have any problems like your other reviewers.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Traveleralathens, Front Office Manager at Travel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thanks very much. We appreciate you staying with us.

Reviewed July 8, 2007

We stayed at this Comfort Inn on the way to Florida for vacation. The rooms were booked online at choicehotels.com. The rooms were dirty. The carpet was wet and dirty. The room had a "funny" smell and I don't mean ha ha funny either. There was mold growing in the coffee pot. Our room was shorted towels. There was a large spider living in the bathroom. The bath mat (towel) was already wet upon arrival. Also, the GFCI switch in the bathroom kept getting triggered everytime we turned on the bathroom light. All items were reported to hotel staff with little or no concern on their part. I have stayed at Comfort Inns before and never seen anything like this.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family