“Felt unsafe”

Country Hearth Inn Athens
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We picked this hotel from the "Hotel Saver" coupon book we picked up at the rest stop. Since we had been driving 18 hours we made a poor decision to stay here. I'm pretty sure I witnessed a drug deal near the pool. There were a lot of unsavory characters hanging around this place. When my husband saw me getting ready to go to bed and pushing the table in front of the door for protection, we left even though we had already paid. Again, we used our coupon book and stayed at the awesome Super 8 down the street for the same $50.00 price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
amitpatel72373, Manager at Country Hearth Inn Athens, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

iam really sorry for the stay but our hotel is clean comfortable affordable hotel to stay we have safe clean enviormental to stay at hotel we accomdate to seniors travelers and corporate guest thank you for staying with us please give another chance to serve u better thank you for staying country hearth inn athens alabama

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

This place beyond gross!! We thought because of the name, location and price this would be a good place to stay 4 a night. Boy was I wrong!!! 1st off they don't honor the price shown on the sign outside! It was $20 more than what they are advertising! We got to the room that's suppose to be nonsmoking. The smell along w/ the 500 burns on the floor & sheets made it clear they allowed lots of people to smoke in all their rooms. The AC barely worked and was falling off the wall. The walls looked like they hadn't been paint nor cleaned in YEARS. They also had holes and "patches" all over. The lamp shades had holes and were stained from smoke. The toilet was broken(wouldn't flush right, missing parts and lid wouldn't fit on the back), burns on the sit and mold all around the bottom. The shower curtain rod had be moved down w/out patching the holes along w/ the rod being bent, like someone was swinging on the curtain. The chairs were SO stained to the point IDK how anyone would think its ok to sit on. The reason I say it's a crack hotel is because there were tons of people outside until the wee hours of the morning along w/ my husband finding what he thought was a crack pipe in a drawer. They people outside where drinking, slamming doors, screaming and very loud. They even had folding chairs sitting right outside our door. I called the front desk about the problem but they were unable to do anything. That was the room we 2nd one we went in. And after finding out we couldn't get our money back and 13 hours on the road we stayed. Thankfully I carry lysol!!!! DO NOT even stop to check it out!! We saw were they said they remodeled in several reviews, after having stayed, but trust me when I say they haven't done anything to "remodeled"!!!! Oh and the quilt looked to be at least 5 years old or more due to the little fuzz balls, u know the fuzz balls fabric gets after being washed countless times, all on the under side! You know the saying u get what you pay for? Well I would say I got ripped off!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank travelers0111

iam sorry but this guest never stayed in our hotel system also we do not accomadate to drug dealer also we have police drive around in hotel to keep hotel safe in 3 different times a day also they drive around another area as well thank you

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Unfortunately, we did not check these reviews before we traveled. We were looking for a cheap hotel, and had we any other option, we would not have stayed. The shower curtain looked like it had blood stains, the bed felt like it was going to crash to the ground, and there was a stink in the air that was undescribable. The manager was very nice and showed me the room before I paid, because he said it was non-refundable, so I knew what I was getting into. I simply didn't really have any other choice, and was stuck with it. I felt dirty the whole time I was there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kerry G

we are sorry for the past visit stay but we did renovated this rooms and it is clean comfortable accomadating rooms to guest our housekeeper clean rooms change curtains in rooms same day also clean room just like home for the guest please give another chance to serve u better thank you for staying with country hearth inn athens alabama we looking foward to stay with us

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I booked this room through expedia and it showed the price to be $45.00 which was cheaper than the next room up at $72.00 . the problem is that on top of the $45.00 they added $27.77 in taxes and fees which made them as high as another hotel in the area which is much nicer. How I identify this for the future? If expedia shows the booking page with the prices before the visa page comes up you know what the charges are. If the visa page comes first before you see the final price....run,,,,run,,,run.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank bettybar1005
amitpatel72373, Manager at Country Hearth Inn Athens, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

dear guest sorry for the reseravation u made with expidia hotels 3rd net party but they charged to guest different rate book reseravations also they pay hotels we do not collect payment from guest if u did called hotels they provide u hotels special rate available to u on that day once again thank you for staying with country hearth inn athens alabama we are thanks tou choose to stay at country hearth inn athens alabama but next visit traveling u can call us we can gladely take care of u thank u so much for your stay.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

You get what you pay for! Clean sheets was the only ok part of the room, but they were thread-barren. The towel bar was hanging by one screw. The floors needed a massive scrubbing, better yet they should be replaced! I don't recommend this hotel!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Anita1948

dear guest we are soory for the stay but if u informed we could gladly take care of u on your past visit stay but please give us another chance to serve u better we will give u the best and good service and clean accomadation for u please just informed during your stay we can take of you once again thank you for choosing country hearth inn athens alabama we looking foward to seeing u again we will give u upgrade suite for u for rack rate of regular room thank u so much for your chance u serve u again

Reviewed October 12, 2012

There is nothing remotely deluxe about this hotel. It is beyond unacceptable. I booked two rooms on behalf of my mother for our trip to Athens this past weekend. Having stayed at a CHI&S before I had good expectations for these reservations. Unfortunately upon arrival, payment of the room and then a trip to the rooms provided a whole different experience. Not only is the building and grounds in need of much repair, the rooms were absolutely disgusting. My parents room (207) was horrific. The sheets and blankets had holes all in them, the floor had not been vacuumed evidenced by used tissues in the floor by the bed, the border around the walls was literally falling off the wall, not peeling up a little, a whole section was falling off the wall!! And then the bathroom-yuck! It looked like someone took a rag and just smeared feces in the shower tub instead of cleaning, the toilet was dirty and the sink and mirror were obviously not cleaned either. After seeing this, I went to check my room (231-I believe), the floors has not been vacuumed and there were spots on the mirror but the bathroom appeared to be somewhat clean, even though there were no towels or bath clothes (only 2 hand towels on the rack). My sheets were also well used with holes and many spots where someone had mended the linen. Well obviously no one should be allowed to stay in a room like 207 so I went to the front desk to get a new room for my parents. The poor girl working the front desk was being bombarded, the manager was no where in site and not even on property because all the little girl could say was 'You will have to call my manager" to the 3 people in front of me who were demanding a refund on their rooms (because the rooms were dirty and they found multiple spiders in the sheets when they pulled back the covers!!!). After some time, she took me to another room to review it and although it too was not the standard that I have come to expect from CHI&S, it was tons better than 207 and as we were told time and time again after we complained about the state of the rooms that we could not get a refund, this was our only option. However, at this point we are all wondering about the sanitary conditions of the whole hotel, between bugs, spiders, bed bugs, clean linens etc. In the end after complaining multiple times we did not even stay--we had to pay to get rooms somewhere else! We didn't even unpack our bags and the longest we spent in any room was less that 5 min--we didn't use the towels, toilets or beds. After securing another hotel, I returned the keys to the front desk and told the girl that we were checking out and not staying there due to the conditions. And you better believe I called the Athens Department of Health and they are investigating. My mom also called and spoke to the manager on Monday to discuss this and to request a refund. His response? Housekeeping says the beds were used and the trash cans were full. Unbelievable! That is crap! When I requested to change rooms for my parents the girl working the front desk walked up to 207 to review the room, she remade the beds (that we pulled back to check the sheets) as I stood there. The beds were fine and there was nothing in the trash cans! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! I only wish I would have taken pictures to prove this disgusting state of this place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Marie C

dear guest thank you for staying with country hearth inn athens alabama we are sorry for the past visit stay but we did renovated this hotel rooms we are giving best service as possible for u next visit stay also please give us another chance to serve u better and clean accomadation and our hotel staff has been working hard to u serve u best performance for the guest to serve we will give u clean and comfortable room for the accomadation for u once again thank you for choosing country hearth inn athens alabama.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was on a tight budget and stayed here because I had to. What an unholy nightmare! The carpet was filthy and covered with clothes iron scorch marks. The heater/AC cover was broken, the shower head plumbing extended out of a gaping hole in the wall, the door was seriously patched and the fabric on the chair was stained disgustingly. Never again.

Room Tip: Anywhere but this hotel. A ditch in the woods would be better.