“Older motel style, but ok for price.”

Best Western Athens Inn
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Athens
Gainesville, Georgia
“Older motel style, but ok for price.”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed here one night during my weekly trip. This location is right off I-65, with other hotels and plenty of places to eat. The is a gravel lot across the street( behind Hardees) where big rigs can park. The staff was really nice and helpful. I was in room 221, and the a/c was barely working. They immediately moved me to another room after calling, and the a/c there was a little better. The room was nicely appointed, but a little small. The mattress was really thin and worn, really could use replacement. good water pressure. The breakfast was really good, and was busy with lots of guests. The lady working the breakfast area did a great job keeping everything full. Older location, just needs a few upgrades.

Room Tip: pretty quiet for the location.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Best Western Athens Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for going online and giving us a review, we will address your issues, and we appreciate your business, hope to see you soon. Thanks GM.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I got a pretty good rate on my room at this hotel from bestwestern.com. No complaints about my stay. The staff was friendly. The room was clean. And the breakfast was okay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Best Western Athens Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
We appreciate you going on line and giving us a good review and we appreciate your business, i apologise about the blanket but we were sold out, and they were probably all given out, and we appreciate you working with us, hope to see you soon. Thanks. GM
michigan
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We were traveling all day and it was time to stop and we were looking for a hotel near the TN and AL border. We have a rule about not staying at hotels where you enter your hotel room from the outside. But everything in the area was booked and they had a vacancy so we took it. The room was reasonably priced. We got a room with a king size bed and a sofa sleeper. The room was very clean - a tad dated - but clean and the bed was comfortable and it was quiet. The only down side was we needed to have my teenager sleep on the sofa sleeper and they had sheets but no blankets. With the AC on next to the sofa sleeper she got a little chilled at night. We ended up giving her the blanket off our bed. They had a great continental breakfast in the morning. The room was spacious, clean, comfortable and quiet and we all had a good nights sleep - can't ask for more. We would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
WESTERN B, Front Office Manager at Best Western Athens Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 256-233-4030.

South Dakota
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We were in the area for business but didn't make a reservation at any hotel. When we arrived in town, we found that most of the hotels in about a 50 mile radius were booked already. We were a little unsure about the Best Western since from the outside it didn't look like it was "up to our standards" (especially with the outside entrance doors). We needed a room and figured "how bad could it be?". We were pleasantly surprised...it seemed like an older hotel but nicely remodeled and kept up. One of the washcloths still had the inspection number sticker on it. The bedding looked nice and updated. Everything was also very clean. Fridge and mic in the room. Breakfast and pool were good. Ruby Tuesday, Applebees, and Logans Roadhouse were nearby. Only downside was that we had a connecting door to the next room and could hear noise. Overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Best Western Athens Inn, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thank you for the great comment, we appreciate the business, hope to see you again in the near future. Thanks.
Schaumburg, Illinois
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Stayed on our way to Barber Motorsports Museum and Florida. It was OK. The highest nightly price we paid all trip and my least favorite. Supply and demand I guess. Our particular room smelled to me heavily of bug spray or something, but the rest of the family didn't think it was a big deal, we were very tired. Internet worked fine so the kids were happy. Cleanliness o.k. There was a noisy crowd outside about midnight, possibly from the Appleby's that was very near to our side. I thought the breakfast bar was pretty good compared to some of the other hotels we were at. I am always happy to have scrambled eggs. If I had to do it again I think I would pay extra to stay at the newer hotel next door, but I don't remember the price difference. However, we were able to park our car right outside our door, which made this a nice quick road stop.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Illinois
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My family stayed in night on the way to the Huntsville Rocket museum.

The pros:
Less expensive, safe alternative to Huntsville locations.
Lots of restaurants a a grocery nearby.
Clean room w/fridge and microwave.
Friendly, helpful front desk staff.
small, but new equipment, towels and water in fitness room.
Breakfast was the standard fare for this type of hotel. No problems there.
Was given a ground floor room, very convenient for a family.

Minor cons: cracked sink (small crack)
Outdoor pool-not heated. It was raining but swam anyway. The kids needed it after the long drive.
Maintenance started early. One threw something from the second floor into the pickup in the parking lot. Desk very apologetic and said they would talk to them.
Outdoor access is not my favorite, but seems standard in warmer climates.
Carpet appeared to have not been stretched properly whe installed and was bunched near the walls-potential trip hazard for small kids or those with unsteady gait, was not in walkway, only near walls.
Overall: for a one night stay on the road w/ kids I was pleased With the location, value and cleanliness.

• Stayed June 2012
WESTERN B, Front Office Manager at Best Western Athens Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2012

Daphne, Alabama
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We arrived around 11:00 pm without a reservation and were greeted with a smile. The room was quiet and comfortable. Free Breakfast was a plus. There is a Starbucks right down the street. Good value and great place to rest while on the road.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
WESTERN B, Manager at Best Western Athens Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Thanks for the great response our aim is please and to make sure you are pleased and given value for your money, and I hope we did that. Thanks, Mgmt and Staff. Hope to see you again in the near future.