“Southern Hospitality in Athens!”
Review of LawLers Barbecue and Catfish - CLOSED

LawLers Barbecue and Catfish
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Buffet, Takeout
Description: Located just across from Athens State University and only two blocks from downtown Athens.
Portland, Oregon
“Southern Hospitality in Athens!”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Lawler's Barbecue and Catfish is on Hobbs Street near Athens State College. From the outside Lawler's looks like a fast food drive in. However, despite the fast food appearance Lawler's Barbecue and Catfish actually sports a good sized dining room.

Lawler's system works like this: you order your food at the counter and if you're dining in then you proceed on into the adjacent dining room. Lawler's seating and tables are simple. The walls are a stark white. However, the hospitality of the staff brings the atmosphere to a high level.

On my visit one of the counter staff saw me go to my car to get my jacket. Concerned that I was cold she apologized and adjusted the air conditioning system. Would that happen in a large city? Well, it did in Athens, Alabama!

After dining at Lawler's I can see why they include catfish in their title. Had the best catfish of my life at Lawler's. The batter was so tasty and my catfish had been fried to perfection. The accompanying side dishes were also first rate.

Lawler's Barbecue and Catfish has deep frying down to a science. The chefs here know when to pull the food from the deep fryer before it becomes overcooked and over-browned. Would have to say that Lawler's hush puppies were the best I had ever had. If Lawler's says that a portion is large by golly they mean it. I was unable to finish my catfish dinner.

If Lawler's had been a little more comfortable I would easily have given them 5 stars. The food is definitely worth five stars. Lawler's Barbecue and Catfish should be on anyone's list of quality Alabama restaurants.

• Visited September 2013

Dothan, Alabama
“One Visit Only”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I recently visited Lawler's because I was curious. My opinion is that there are better barbeque restaurants available over this one. The cole slaw was too vinegary and the pork barbecue tasteless.

Visited June 2013
Bloomington, Illinois
“Always A Must Stop-Delicious”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This place is awesome if you are a BBQ lover. Pulled pork plate special is amazing. This is not a BBQ that is drowning in sauce or a slaw that is heaped with mayo. They let the meat shine as the star with sauces to compliment. Try the white sauce-excellent. Slaw is vinegar based and worth trying. Potato salad is best that I have ever had. Wish there was one in IL-hahaha.
We always stop on the way and on the way back from Florida. Service is always wonderful.

“not very good”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

we ate there lastnite it was 30 bucks n there coleslawtasted like nothing but vinegar n it was nasty we will never eat there again

Noblesville, Indiana
“Perfect stop for your Florida adventure!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The food was great, especially the pork nachos and hush puppies! The service was over the top...the waitress Chris was a real sweetie! If you have the opportunity to stop in, I would not pass it up!