“food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of 306 Bbq

306 Bbq
Ranked #3 of 92 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Knoxville, Tennessee
“food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I prefer mustard based BBQ, but this place is very good. They have a choice of ketchup based or mayonnaise based. The ribs are also good.

Visited May 2013

Athens, Alabama
“306 is the BEST BBQ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

If you are even wanting some BBQ or fresh sides, you have to go to 306! Everything is made fresh and the meats are awesome! I have eaten at SEVERAL BBQ places in Athens and Huntsville (even the big name chain ones) and none of them measure up! For football season, it is also the best place to go and pick up your tailgating food before going to a get together or cookout! They also have a large room in the back you can book for parties. We used it for a large family dinner the week of our wedding and everyone loved the food!

• Visited May 2013
Athens, Alabama
“Awesome service and juicy bbq!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Was greeted as soon as I came in. Was easy to navigate their menu. Their ribs are the best, and their Ham Plate was good as well. Is a place I will frequent regularly!! The staff cleaned our table before we had the chance to get up and do it, when they saw we were done and just having conversation...great experience!!

Athens, AL
“Dry and bland.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Let me start out by saying I am not a sauce person. I like a good rub or marinade over sauce any day. If you are someone like me don't eat here. Tried the ribs, chicken, and pork. The meat has no flavor (spices or smoke) unless you put sauce on it. All of the meat was dried out like it had been held warm all day (ate in the late afternoon.) The sides were better than the BBQ.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank WheresTheBBQ
Huntsville, Alabama
“So many BBQ places in the region, the quality will have to improve to compete”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I’m so happy that local people have taken the big step to open their own restaurant, parlaying a history of backyard bbq-ing into a full service restaurant. Kudos for that! This is a step many people would dream of taking, but don’t. So, I wish 306 bbq the best of luck! It has been over 30 years since I’ve been in the location where 306 bbq resides. I think it was a catfish restaurant “back in the day.”

THE PLACE: The décor was OK. I liked the bright red wall on the east side of the main dining area, with a vibrant “306” cut out attached to the wall. In the entry dining area, there is an electic mixture of relatively new looking “leather-esque” booths mixed with standard cafeteria-ish 4-tops and raised bar tables. There is a wall-mounted TV in the corner and I noticed in addition to tea and cokes, 306 offers beer and I think it was, Sutter Home wine, in the little bottles reminiscent of airplane wine. While waiting for my “to go” order, I noticed a large meeting/banquet room to the left of the main counter and an additional dining area, too. The front porch area, is covered with an awning and houses several picnic tables.

THE FOOD: I opted for the brisket which comes with two side orders. Since other’s have praised their mac and cheese, I opted for two sides of mac and cheese. The order came with a pack of hamburger buns and was ~ $20.00.

Unfortunately, the slicked brisket was dry and lacked smokiness. It actually lacked flavor overall. There was no “bark” on the brisket, which ..."occurs when the exterior of the meat caramelizes, producing intensely flavorful crust or, as they say in BBQ circles, “bark.”" (bark description courtesy of bbq.wetpaint.com)

The red bbq sauce was unremarkable and bland. It could have been a bottled variety. It was fairly bright red in color--maybe vinegar based. Were the sauce more flavorful, I could have doused the meat in it and probably enjoyed the brisket more.

The mac and cheese, as described by my husband, tasted like a little Velveeta tossed in with some macaroni noodles. Period. No seasoning at all. It also lacked the element of a little bit of crunch. It would have benefitted from some salt and white (or black) pepper, maybe a pinch of red pepper flakes and a panko topping.

Maybe their focus is on the large selection of proteins and not so much on the sides.

Despite the rain and the tornado warnings earlier in the afternoon, there were a lot of patrons there, and a line formed after I arrived, with many placing “take out” orders. So, apparently, 306 has a good following. Maybe it was an “off” day for the brisket, as I believe they only offer it 3 days a week.

Give 306 a try and let us know what you think.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank jewel10430620

Been to 306 Bbq? Share your experiences!