“Good Choice”

cave spring
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Choice”
Reviewed November 10, 2009

Have been eating here for about 7 years. Food is always consistent and service is good. Quite frankly I believe the Catfish is overated. About average for any seafood place. Every order comes with cole slaw, pickled onions and jalapeno cornbread. Several time I have had these as my meal.

1 Thank stevenvCaveSpring

Germany
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great catfish”
Reviewed September 26, 2009

Visited the top o the river restaurent in Sept, 2009. We were served cornbread,onions, and coleslaw as an apertizer. Then came the catfish!! Almost more than you can eat!
The waitress brought more cornbread and more coleslaw. We were very satisfied with our dinner and it was in our opinion very good. I would recommend this restaurant to our friends.They have almost only domestic beer.

Plymouth
“I've had better”
Reviewed July 18, 2009

I had high hopes for this place after reading some great reviews, but it was not meant to be. I love fresh catfish, but it turned out to be some frozen chain restaurant piece of fish. There used to be a little diner place down the main drag from Summerall Gate that had the best catfish dinners. Now THAT was fresh fish!

1 Thank stormshadow7464
Anniston, AL
“Best Catfish”
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I have been coming to Top O' The River for 5 years now. I'm a repeat customer. The food is a great value for the money. You get a ton of free starters. Cornbread, pickled onions, and cole slaw just to start. Make sure you get the "bucket o' greens". They are to DIE FOR!

Also, sometimes, when it's really busy, the food tends to be a little bit more hastily prepared and sometimes ends up dry. I would suggest going a little bit earlier to beat the rush.

Michigan
“Great Onion Rings, EP sized cornbread, and decent cat too.”
Reviewed November 28, 2008

Where do you begin, when most everything is so yummy? (they failed miserably on one side dish)

I ordered a 35.00 carryout (for 2 people) consisting of the following.

1 Riverboat special (fried cat)
1 broiled sea kitten (catfish)
1 Onion ring fried pickle combo appetizer.
1 order of greens.

The riverboat comes with sides of slaw and your choice of tater or beans...I opted for northern beans.

the broiled cat comes with yer choice o' tater (baked) and slaw.

I picked it up around 6 after calling it in 10 minutes b4.
I got the food back to the hotel it was still hot.
I started with the onion rings and pickles...um....word's fail me on the Onion rings they were that good!....HUGE almost the size of a coffee cup. The fried pickles were as good as I've had but it's an acquired taste.

The Cornbread which came in aluminum foil was the size of a small bundt/pound cake....it had some seasoning built in different and good... but the onion rings and pickles filled my my stomach ...so I didn't have too much room for the cornbread.

I went for the fish....the fried cat...was maybe a bit dry ..but certainly among the best fried I've had. The hush puppies were good, but I'm not a real fan of hush puppies...

The Broiled cat was seasoned as blackened...so if you're not into spicy don't order it. But other wise it was good.

The cole slaw is the creamy kind...and very good for it's type.
Now the baked potato I didn't even touch ...I was on the edge of exploding.

And the great northern (white) beans...were bad.. simple as that...they actually tasted like they had been prepared with lighter fluid, maybe kerosene...I'm no connisour of my combustibles.. but it was in the Rosinol family of flame making material... so I ditched those.

The Greens were good, not good enough to keep eating for fear o' hurlin' but good as far as greens go (6 bucks).

OH , and don't forget your pickled onions...acquired taste but good nonetheless.

Absolutely...a repeat run to alabama is in order.