“Great View-Overpriced”

Kowaliga restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Titus, Alabama
“Great View-Overpriced”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Stopped by for Sunday lunch. Sat inside restaurant-Big Mistake. Sort of like eating at the playground at MacDonalds. Noisy kids running amok. Inattentive parents. Plus wait staff continually dumped tubs of ice in a stainless steel cooler. Sort of like dining in a thunderstorm. Limited menu. We had two catfish fillet dinners and a hamburger steak. No alcohol. One iced-tea- $2.50. Total bill was almost $48. Food was average at best. Hush puppies tasteless. There is, however, a nice place to park your boat and the view is nice.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Mrwayneray

“Just disappointed”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We ate there Sunday night and the overall experence was terrble. The salad was wilted and soggy. The baked potatoe, that was left off my order by mistake, tasted like it came out of the trash can.
I don't get it! All the money that was invested in the building and to have such second rate food and service.
When we left not one, of the three girls, said goodbye, kiss my a-- or anything.
We will not return until they get a manager that can get it right.

Sorry

2 Thank RollTide358
“So close.”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

A great venue and atmosphere. Execution of menu and food quality was off. My cheeseburger was good and I would order it again but my side salad which they called a Murphy salad was awful. It was iceberg and tomatoes with a vinaigrette. My wife's catfish's breading kept falling off. My kids grilled cheese was done with a baguette which is hard for a 2 yr old to eat. The food was overpriced and just not good tasting. I did absolutely love my lemon icebox pie. Keep trying and I will go back once more. Hoping it will be better.

Montgomery, Alabama
“Kowaliga has same great view, but better food”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

After many years, we were at first sorry to see Sinclairs close, but Ben Russell's new Kowaliga Restaurant is a great improvement in both appearance and menu. My wife and I usually have seafood and it has been fine. She loves onion rings and I sometimes take a couple of hers. In our most recent visit I thought the onion rings were the best we have ever had anywhere, and I am someone who has dined in over a hundred countries. Will order them myself in the future.

Ben, the largest landowner and marina owner on Lake Martin, built several years ago the beautiful Catherine's Market and the excellent Springhouse. We are told he moved a chef from Springhouse to Kowaliga to make his new restaurant more up scale. He succeeded admirably. Several reviews complain about higher prices. That is true, but it is still in line with many restaurants of this caliber, and less than Springhouse.

You can sit and watch all of the boats go by the southern end of the Kowaliga Bridge. By the way, the name is in one of Hank Williams' most famous songs about "Poor ole Kowaliga." For those who don't know, it is pronounced Cah-lie'-juh. Hope you enjoy it.

1 Thank Thornton C
montgomery alabama
“Disappointing”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Have tried the refurbished kowaliga restaurant twice. Was expecting a vast improvement from the old sinclairs restaurant since the staff from springhouse was now running the place.
The interior is much improved.
The menu is limited and very overpriced. 15 dollars for a poorboy sandwich, 2.50 for tea. The food is tasteless. Their signature salad, the Murphy salad has a paprika based dressing, which makes the lettuce look like it is very old, which is not appetizing. French fries were soggy and greasy.
This is very disappointing, as the location is superb and accessible by boat. I used to eat at sinclairs at least twice a week, but doubt I will return.

• Visited May 2013