“Could have been better”

Huggin' Molly's
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Abbeville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: You’ll almost wonder if you’ve stepped through a time machine when you visit this special place in the heart of downtown Abbeville, Alabama. Huggin’ Molly’s® Restaurant hearkens back to those days when life seemed simpler. Our loyal fans and newest friends always find something to enjoy here —whether it’s sweet treats from an authentic soda fountain or a trip down memory lane thanks to an incredible collection of antiques. The atmosphere buzzes with helpful servers and happy customers, plus delightful favorites from 1950s music. Folks from all over can’t get enough of the tantalizing aroma of delicious meals, served up with a slice of history and a heapin’ helping of down-home Southern hospitality. Stop in and see for yourself. Huggin’ Molly’s® Restaurant not only takes you back in time, but is sure to bring you back again soon.
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

We were surprised the place was empty when we walked in but understood why after our meal. The 50's soda fountain brought back memories that could have been enjoyable but we we were seated in another room by ourselves in a corner. The onion rings and fried green tomatoes were great but the sandwiches were less than average. The service, as reviewed earlier, was disappointingly poor in spite of the fact we were the ONLY people in the restaurant. Nice displays although most looked like replicas. We were directed to pay our bill to a woman sitting at the counter who wouldn't pay any attention to us. Our waitress finally came over to collect our bill and dumped the change in my hands. The nearby fast food restaurant would have been a better choice.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stopped in while traveling. Sandwiches were okay but nothing special. Onion rings were great. Waitress completely ignored us. No refills, no checking back with us, no bringing of our ticket. Not that busy.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Huggin Molly's is locally owned by Abbeville's own Yella Fella. The lunch menu offers a great variety of sandwiches, salads, etc all named after local residents. Their dinner menu has a good variety from chicken kabobs, too steaks, crab cakes, etc.

Desserts are a blast from the past made to order from the vintage soda fountain. You will find sodas, malts, floats, sundaes, banana splits, pies, brownies and blondes to name just a few. Service is great.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

$72 for three entrees two appetizers and three desserts. Not bad for the quality of food.

Enjoyed fried mushrooms and fried pickles. Fried pickles are the best around. Very tasty and not too greasy.

Enjoyed screamin chicken supreme (two small fried chicken breasts with a creamy mushroom sauce) and chicken fried steak (one order was enough for two) and sweet potato as an entree (that thing was huge).

Dessert was milk shakes. Watched them being made at the old time soda fountain.

A wonderful dinner after a long day at beach.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have heard about this place for a long time and never took the time to go until today. When you walk in, the decor is a timeless throwback to years gone by, down to every detail. I ordered a roast beef sandwhich and was informed they did not have roastbeef, although disappointed I decided on the hamburger instead.
The food was great, reminded me of my mothers own cooking and I truly enjoyed it.
Sadly, the waitress was obviously not interested in even remotely trying to keep us satisfied, empty tea glass the majority of the time. Once my friends glass was filled and the other glass sat bone dry.
I think there should be a no cell phone policy, because as I sat there and watched the waitress play on Facebook and cohort with the other help as if it were a party, I grew increasingly disappointed, I originally was looking forward to the sweet treat from the soda fountain but decided I had, had enough, I think with some closely supervised staff this could have been a wonderful experience.
Very disappointed...