“Kayak Panfish Fishing Heaven”

Stonewall Jackson Lake State Park
A TripAdvisor Member
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed April 13, 2005

As an avid kayak fishermen who has fished on many lakes, I have to say my best kayak fishing experience ever was on Stonewall Jackson Lake Resort last fall. My type of fishing is using live bait (minnows & crawlers) and fishing for panfish. What an experience! In 2 days I caught several jumbo perch and dozens of crappie & bluegill. The largest jumbo perch were 14" and 13" respectively. I caught the perch mostly off sand bars in 6 to 10 feet of water. The crappie were abundent but not real large (9 to 10 inches mostly) caught around downed trees in 10 to 15 feet of water. The bluegill were the most enjoyable. I caught large quantities suspended 20 feet down in 30 to 40 feet of water.

Besides the fishing, the scenery was wonderful along the majestic long snakelike lake. Fish or no fish it was a relaxing once in a lifetime experience I will not forget anytime soon. If you have never experienced kayak fishing, this is the place to start. I can't wait to go back.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member