“A great ride, just know it varies with the seasons”
Review of New River

New River
Ranked #278 of 652 things to do in West Virginia
More attraction details
Owner description: Excellent smallmouth bass streams for fishing.
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I've rafted the New River so many times that I've lost count. This is one of the oldest rivers in the world. As the seasons change so does the water level and current speed. If you are a first time rafter, wait until the late spring or early summer because it turns into a completely different river when the water is high. Rapids appear that are never there unless the water gets to a certain level. Class V rapids appear but only in the spring. I was nearly killed on one this past April and I didn't even go at the highest level of the water. Take the New River in the spring as serious as you would the Upper Gauley. If you don't know what you're doing you can be killed. In the summer and fall the water level is much lower and not as dangerous. There are various sections of the river to raft on depending on skill level and the company that you are rafting with. The Upper New is safe for those with children and the Lower New is for the more adventurous groups. It offers you a great opportunity to see the New River Gorge Bridge. If you go on Bridge Day you can get a different view of the jumpers. A must do! It's in 1001 Places to See Before you Die US & Canada and I would have to agree with the book.

2  Thank flowergirl3785

Reviewed June 26, 2011

The New River is the most advanced river I've done. With Class III and IV rapids, we navigated immense boulders and powerful eddies (currents opposite to the river's current). For context, Class V is the highest you can take people for recreation; beyond that you're professional. At times the raft felt like it was vertical, but surely it wasn't. We surfed in the river, with currents actually creating waves!

The New River is also the only one where I didn't fall out of the raft--in fact no one did. I asked a guide-in-training on our trip what was different about prior rivers that we fell in. She said it wasn't the river, but our guide. TJ at River Expeditions is spectacular! He kept us safe and taught us about mining along the New River Gorge. He's the kind of person who makes the difference between a fun trip one that's truly phenomenal.

1  Thank gc05282014f
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I recently went to West Virginia to raft on the whitewater rapids of the New River. It was an amazing experience. We went with a company called Songer which is also a campground. It is a great outdoorsy adventure to camp out and then explore the river in, and out of the boat! Yes you will fall out of the boat but don't be scared! Its all part of the "river experience" and with the expert wisdom from your river guide you will know exactly what to do and have a very fun and exciting time!

2  Thank djkorova

Been to New River? Share your experiences!