“Monongahela-Fall is in the Air”

Ranked #196 of 629 things to do in West Virginia
More attraction details
Owner description: An 830,000-acre preserve with campsites and hiking trails.
Reviewed September 29, 2015

Monongahela forest was a huge surprise. If you're driving to Cass or Snowshoe at this time of the year-you're in for a surprise. Right after you pass George Washington National Forest, i.e. Seneca Rocks, you veer westwards on 28 south. that's when it all changes. You start climbing the mountains in the Monongahela forest.
It is a very pretty sight. See my photos. Then all down 28/92, the scenery is just fantastic. I loved the drive.

2  Thank hemantphd

Reviewed September 28, 2015

this is a completely different experience from the other parts of wv. forested area,big rocks and cliffs.we still found a lot of green,we went to spruce knob and senecca rocks areas of the forest,through a lot of small towns, we saw a lot of hikers and bicycle riders, we were able to go to blackwater falls st. park. i was able to walk to these falls also.it was great.a lot water. a lot of greenery.this is a great forest area, so diverse in different parts of it. we had been wanting to do this trip trying to go to as many of the different outdoor things offered in wv. it all exceeded out hopes of what we would see.

3  Thank catherine b
Reviewed September 1, 2015

I and my family have been camping at Lake Sherwood for decades. The sites are very well spaced apart, not stacked upon each other as many modern campgrounds are. You have a superb sense of privacy and the campground hosts and park rangers make very sure the rules are observed including quite time. The sites are well maintained. The public bathrooms and showers are cleaned everyday and are very clean. A campground that is what camping should be. It will be a disappointment to those wanting electric, water and sewage hookups. This is part of this campgrounds beauty. Great camp sites, beautiful lake, great fishing, hiking and wonderful people.

3  Thank Randy C
Reviewed June 17, 2015

My family and I spent a wonderful day at the "Kids Fishing Event" at the WVDNR fish hatchery. They hold the event every year and highly suggest it for families. My 9 year old son won a new fishing pole, tee shirt, and certificate with length and weight of fish he caught. Each child is allowed to catch 2 fish and afterwards experts quickly clean and fillet the fish and place over ice to take home for dinner. This is an amazing event and EVERYTHING is FREE with memories that are priceless!
We enjoyed the day so much we decided we were not ready to head home we wanted to continue being outdoors! My dad knows the area well from trout fishing and took us to Monongahela National Forest. We ended at Bear Heaven campground where we stayed the night. The camp is clean,quiet and beautiful. It was only $5.00 a night to stay at this hidden little gem tucked away in the mountains! I would have never known about this camp without my father leading the way and I am glad he took us all to enjoy this campground! We made dinner having fish the kids caught at the hatchery. Cooking them over the open fire.
We enjoyed the peace and quiet along with the beauty of the mountains. Yet the most beautiful thing from this camping trip wasn't just the view of the mountains it was the view of seeing my family together enjoying the day,night and most of all each other!

3  Thank Mindy316
See more reviews
Reviewed March 25, 2015

This trail, 4 miles out, 4 miles back, gently climbs up slope crossing streams along the way. 2 or 3 excellent-condition wood bridges keep you out of the creek, but some slogging through rock beds may get your feet wet if you're not careful even though the trail is well-maintained. Nothing extraordinary to see in March, but a nice view of Snowshoe near turnaround if the skies are clear. This trail is a nice change of pace from skiing in Snowshoe and is only 13 miles from the Snowshoe Depot. A little farther down the road is another shorter, flatter trail.

2  Thank masstester