See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 29, 2017 via mobile

This hostel was just okay but you get what you pay for, for the D.C. Prices. I booked last minute so it was all I found for the price I wanted to pay for a hostel. The area that it's in (Shaw) is really nice. I had a nice walk around, such beautiful brownstones, houses etc and if you keep walking towards DuPont there are lots of stores, boutiques and shops. Also lots of places to eat, bars, very cute vibe. Now for the hostel I had a good stay. When I booked on booking.com it said I would be in a mixed 8 bed room but when I got there I was placed in a 6 bed room. Not that I'm complaining but it's just not what I booked. What if I paid for less beds in a room and I got placed in one with more? Anyway it was just me and one other girl in my room so that was great. It was quiet for us except that our room was on the side of the main street(entrance) so we did hear outside noises and I kept waking up. The beds were okay but made a lot of noise every time you move. Check out is by 12 pm so that's great. I had no problems with my key as other people did in reviews. Also there was just one guy in the front at check in and no one else. I think he's there till 10 pm. This hostel is quieter than other hostels I've been to so if you like that this may be for you. It has more of a house vibe and not a hostel which is cool. The only thing I did not like was the bathroom issue. There is only one bathroom on each FLOOR with several rooms on each floor. So if you have to shower or use the toilet you have to wait or try another floor. It was an issue because a guy used it before me and when I went in to shower after him there was pee all over the toilet and what looked like fecal matter on the shower floor. Gross! So the bathroom wasn't cleaned enough while I was there... I had to go to another floor! There was still pee marks on the toilet seat the next day....There are sinks outside of the bathrooms so that's good. There is not much to do in the hostel. I saw no one hang out. It was just to sleep and thats it. Other hostels have fun stuff going on, fun entertainment rooms. So all in all it was an okay stay, not bad but not great.

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2017

This hostel is ok. You will get what you pay for and nothing more. Fine if you're only looking for a (not very comfortable) bed to sleep in. There are only two working toilets for the entire hostel, and there is never any toilet paper, so take your own. The first floor shower didn't really work - the water kept running hot and cold - but the second floor shower was fine. The place was very clean.

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2017

Not only was this hostel extremely dirty, but the customer service was abysmal. The bathroom on our floor was unusable: the glass shower door was off its tracks and leaned against the wall and the toilet did not flush- there was just a tiny turd floating around for hours left by another hostel-goer.

Deplorable conditions aside, I am not a picky traveler (believe it or not), so I was going to give it a try. Unfortunately, we were locked out of the hostel at around midnight and after trying to call for an hour or so and banging on the door to no avail, we were forced to walk a mile and pay for a new hostel. Upon returning to DC International Hostel in the morning, there was no one at the front desk- AGAIN- and according to other guests, there is not normally someone at the desk until after 12 noon. Awful customer service. I have requested a refund due to the unsafe position we were put in- it was cold and walking through DC after midnight alone is not advisable, but we had no other option.

Do yourself a favor and stay with Hostelling International. It may cost a bit more, but the facilities are top notch and they ALWAYS have someone at their front desk.

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2016

This hostel is somewhat clean. There is no elevator. There is a huge microwave that internationals have used to cook pasta and eggs because there is no working stove. There are a few mugs and plates and when the dishwashing liquid and sponges are sometimes gone you are out of luck. The staff do not care about hospitality in the least. I asked the desk person to recommend a place for breakfast and asked him where to have inexpensive quality brunch and his answer was, "I don't know" Why didn't he say, "I don't care." There are not desks for business people. There is not privacy. The Shaw library is nearby. There is a tv and some sofas. There was a stable internet connection but I do feel my privacy is violated. The cleaning staff arrive in the morning and use the washer and dryer so you must do your laundry in the evening. The desk person was only there between the hours of ten and ten so if you would ask for a printer, it might not be available. It doesn't feel intellectually well being there and it does feel like an abominable scam to give these people money. I don't feel that I paid that much but I didn't feel that I got much. One group of international visitors there were totally out of sorts from unhealthy living by the time they left. Most of the travelers there try to keep the boat afloat on their own anyway. If you want breakfast, there is a GIANT supermarket that sells croissants/coffee and has a seating area ( O near 7th Street) and a Compass Coffee on 7th street that serves a clean and carbonated cup of coffee.

Room tip: large staircase. no elevators.
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2016 via mobile

I had a shared bedroom of ten.Even though the space was pretty small, the room was clean with confy beds.I loved the idea of the multilangual "good morning" at breakfast time.Same thoughts about the night tours!

Date of stay: October 2015