“Avoid the cafe unless you like being victimized!”
Review of Politics and Prose

Politics and Prose
Ranked #8 of 71 Shopping in Washington DC
Reviewed April 19, 2014

My purse was stolen during a crowded Sunday brunch at the cafe. I was with my husband, son, his wife and my 2 year-old granddaughter. Our table was apparently left unguarded for the minute it took me to pick up food at the counter. The thieves stole my purse and also my granddaughter's jacket on a cold March day. They likely took the jacket to cover and hide the purse. Within 15 minutes, multiple charges had been made to my credit cards.

When I told the servers at the counter what had happened, their response was "that happens all the time". That's it - no "I'm sorry", "that's too bad", or other expressions of concern or offers of help. Thinking I might get a more satisfactory response from the cafe manager, I called Monday and ask to speak to her. She was similarly unsympathetic and said vaguely that they might be getting some security cameras in perhaps 3 months. She was annoyed that I didn't seem to think they were doing enough. Well, I don't! If it happens "all the time", why hadn't they instituted security measures already?? I have spent the last month trying to deal with the theft - e.g. stopping credit cards, replacing cards and cell phone, looking for a new wallet and purse. I'm still not done.

Just today I received notice from a credit card company that they had received a letter from me(!!) saying my request to cancel the previous credit card was in error and the card should be re-instated! Apparently, the thieves are not done trying to use the cards.

If you'd like to avoid such problems, I suggest avoiding a cafe where they occur "all the time". Don't risk eating at the Cafe of the Politics and Prose Bookstore.

4  Thank emme532

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Cramped, full cover price on almost everything. Staff complains if you call ahead to order a book for pick up on your visit -- too busy with more important things like fancy classes and store-organized field trips to Europe and California wine country. Not a good choice for the ordinary person

4  Thank Brian B
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Upon entering the store, you are hit with this incredible energy. Friendly faces greet you and ask if they can help you find anything, and if not, they've got great recommendations. The downstairs cafe is a must. It's the kind of place Malcolm Gladwell would pen his next book and it's the best coffee and tea staff in all of DC. Treat yourself to what it my favorite writing spot in the city.

1  Thank Hemmie S
Reviewed December 21, 2013

What a great place to visit for book lovers! We had a great time browsing through the book selection and the various gifts and stationery available, especially our daughter who is an avid reader. A little out of the way as far as touristy places go, but easily accessible by bus. We only wish we had more time to spend there.

1  Thank poonkf
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Politics and Prose is epic. It is THE independent book store. The staff is helpful, generous and passionate about what they do. The store is chock full of books and creative gifts. If you love books you will never leave Politics and Pose.

1  Thank nancy w