“OK experience - somewhat of a let down”

National Museum of Crime & Punishment
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Richmond, Virginia
“OK experience - somewhat of a let down”
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Had never heard of the museum until I saw the tickets on LivingSocial.com. After reviewing the website, which was enticing,I thought it would be a great day trip from Richmond, VA for my 12 year old son and I to visit the museum. We planned our trip and went to the museum 9/5/2010. Overall, the museum itself is interesting and well done. My son enjoyed it though there is was too much reading in each exhibit to keep him fully engaged in the experience of the museum - which will be the same for most kids his age. The day of our visit, the simulated FBI shooting range and one of the simulated cop cars were not working. This was one of the main appeals of the museum that my son was looking forward to experiencing while there. The kids fingerprinting/photo station was also closed that day. When I inquired about it, I was told that due to lack of staffing, that it was closed for the day. I was very disappointed in the experience we had. I felt it was a bit pricey and overrated - especially to not have the some of the main selling features of the museum operable.

CrimeMuseumStaff, Director of Sales at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Thank you for your thoughtful review. I'm sorry that your experience was not as wonderful as you had hoped. Having all of the interactives up and running is a priority for us. If you are ever back in the area with your son, we would like to extend complimentary tickets to the two of you. If you came on a weekend, your son might also enjoy doing our interactive CSI workshop :).

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sulphur, Louisiana
“One of the BEST experiences in D.C. Everyone should go!”
Reviewed September 8, 2010

This museum is well laid out and extremely interesting. If you enjoy NCIS or America's Most Wanted, you'll have a blast at the National Museum of Crime & Punishment. I spent 3 hours there and still felt like I could have enjoyed 2 or 3 more. From Ted Bundy's VW Bug to Bonnie & Clyde's Coupe and even back to Jesse James, the materials were acurate, interesting and amazing.

CrimeMuseumStaff, Director of Sales at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review! We really appreciate it! Come back soon to see our "Unabomber" exhibit!
Oregon, WI
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Kinda creepy but interesting...”
Reviewed August 3, 2010

My son, 12, wanted to see this (big CSI fan)....We bought the extra book for five dollars and that was good to keep focused on the different areas. Our 10 year old was bored at times, but this wasn't really his thing. Some of the items were bone chilling if you read what they were used for. But this definitely covered everything in the criminal world, past and present.

Thank you so much for your review! If your son is a big CSI fan, he should definitely participate in one of our interactive CSI workshops. These workshops are every Saturday at 1 and 2pm. Your son might also be interested in our new "Top Detective Challenge"; where you are the detective who must locate the hidden missing medallion. We hope to see you again soon!
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Eye opening experience how bad crime has been and the fight police have to stop it.”
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Awesome fact filled museum. It covers everything from early early forms of punishment to actual devices used in early days all the way up until today. You learn about past criminals from hundreds of years ago up to today. It enlightens you what life in prison is like, what police have to go to to solve crimes. It shows actual firearms used in crimes and firearms used to stop them. You get details of how forensics help solve crime and get to experience the set of Americas Most Wanted. A truly eye opening experience.

Thank you so much for your review! We are happy that you had such an enlightening experience, and hope to see you again!
Tampa, Florida
“Slightly Eerie…Fun…and Interactive!”
Reviewed July 24, 2010

I spent hours in the Museum of Crime & Punishment and just couldn’t get enough! It is interactive for kids and adults. It is very interesting to learn about the minds of serial killers and to see some current cases talked about! I really enjoyed seeing where John Walsh films his T.V. show too! They even have a green screen that you can pretend in front of. I definitely recommend making this museum one of the stops on your trip to D.C.!

Thank you so much for your review! If you liked all of our interactives, you would LOVE doing one of our CSI workshops. They are interactive and fun :). Hope you'll visit us again!