“Great for HS Students (And Chaperones!!)”

National Museum of Crime & Punishment
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed May 24, 2010

We made a visit to the museum a part of a school trip to DC and were blown away. The museum is huge and has exhibits covering all facets of crime and punishment. We were able to book a CSI lab for our group, as well, and the kids were very engaged. One of the best qualities of this museum is that it is very hand-on, from the police simulators to the CSI section to the replica prison cell.
I give it my highest recommendation.
(FYI - Plan to spend around two hours inside.)

CrimeMuseumStaff, Director of Sales at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

We are so glad that your group had a wonderful time! Students love our interactive workshops! We recommend the Full Forensics Lab, if you haven't taken part in it already. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 25, 2010

This was our first attraction visit upon reaching DC on a Saturday evening. Though I hesitated to visit a pay museum with all the free ones available, we decided to do this one, especially because of its hours open, until 9pm vs. 5:30pm for free ones, and all the good reviews read here, and plus I am a huge America's Most Wanted fan. Tickets were around $20 each plus a few extra dollars for the audio tour we decided to do too. Museum does a great job walking you through the history of criminal punishment, all the different methods of punishing criminals down through time, as well as all the different types of crimes committed, whether it be pirates, mafia, bank robbers, computer criminals, etc.. Highlighted are such criminals as Jesse James, Bonnie & Clyde, John Dillinger, Blackbeard, FBI's 10 Most Wanted (including Osama), serial killers, etc.. During our walk through, we got to see such things as Dillingers heavily bullet-stricken car, as well as Bonnie and Clyde's, various guns and weapons used by those such as Pretty Boy Floyd, exhibit on various prisons such as Rikers and Alcatraz, an electric chair, etc... I also got do a line up, experience a replica jail cell, and sit on a police bike. Because we got there a little before closing and spent so much time on the top floors, we unfortunately didn't get to spend much time in the CSI portion which included much reading and explanation as to what all goes on in the lab. As we left, we walked past the America's Most Wanted set as they appeared to be preparing for a show and was somewhat disappointed to find out that John Walsh would be in the museum to do a show, but unable to see it. Oh well, it was still a very neat experience definitely worth the time and yes even the money.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with everyone! We are glad that you had such a great time :). Please come and see us again soon!

Reviewed April 20, 2010

What an interesting place! The displays are neatly placed and the things that I read simply blew my mind. The interactive cop car simulator and shoot out simulator were awesome. I shot a few bad guys! lol.
I wish I had a chance to do the CSI lab but I had to be at my next event at the embassy.
Thanks JBM and Susan!
Risma

CrimeMuseumStaff, Director of Sales at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Thank you for your great review! We are so glad that you had a blast! Please visit us again to check out our brand new "Unabomber" exhibit.

Reviewed April 5, 2010

Even though the museums in DC are free, most places are pushing the Spy Museum. The National Museum of Crime & Punishment is so cool!! My husband and kids loved it, me too! It starts with various forms of torture, to famous crimes, the mob, serial killers, famous police/cases, forensic science to solve the cases and finishing up with John Walsh's America's Most Wanted. We extended our stay by 2 hours so that we could see it all. Coupons are floating around town for $1.50 off, or you can go to their website and get web discounts which were significant!!

1  Thank mom23kidsNewJersey

I'm so happy that your family had a wonderful time here! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review :). We hope that you'll visit us again to take part in one of our CSI interactive workshops, available on Saturday afternoons!

Reviewed March 29, 2010

We have a ten year old and we took him to multiple museums and this was our favorite museum! The interactive cop car simulator and shoot out simulator were awesome and you can play over and over for no extra cost. We learned lots of interesting CSI tips and the staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. We would definitely return to DC and visit the CRIME MUSEUM!!

2  Thank wood43
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

We are so happy that we are your family's favorite museum!! I agree- the police driving and firearms simulators are awesome!! We hope that you do come see us again during your next trip to DC! :-) Thank you for your review!!