“very interesting and informative”

National Museum of Crime & Punishment
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
New York City, New York
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“very interesting and informative”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

If you are into museums or crime facts and history this is definitely the place to go. There are tons of museums in DC, but I think this one is on the top of must sees and things to do while walking around town.

Visited June 2013
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Hi Beachfest!
Thank you for naming us a top “must see”! We are so happy that you came to visit us and found the museum very interesting and informative. We appreciate your review and hope to see you again soon!

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, New Hampshire
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Stop here after the major museums/monuments”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

This was a pretty solid museum with a fair number of artifacts, although I think the price of admission is too high. I could justify spending about $12pp versus the $20+. I would not have gone here if not for my mother who is a big fan of tv shows like CSI, Law&Order, Cold Case, etc. She knows an awful lot about serial killers, and even this mean-world lady learned something new about some of her favorite killers. The third floor is where I think most people will spend the majority of their time because it is so packed with history of crime and punishment. The other two floors contain less and are more directed to those who are interested in modern CSI detective work - probably great for kids too. Bathrooms were super clean! This museum is off the beaten path a bit, and takes you away from the Mall area and into a hip neighborhood. Lots of dining/drinking options nearby.

**We would have spent more time here but there really weren't enough places for my mom to sit on each floor.**

Visited May 2014
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Hi travelgirlNH123!

We are glad that you and your mom came to visit us! Did you participate in one of our public CSI workshops? I think your mom would enjoy our Forensic Lab! Thank you for your review and for your feedback!
Raleigh, North Carolina
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Had a fantastic time in this museum”
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

We got free tickets for this museum and because we are true crime buffs, it was a must-do. I was amazed with all the cool artifacts they had, including ted bundys vw, Bonnie and Clyde's shot up car, Andover, much more. They had lots of hands on and interactive stuff. We paid for the kids to do a code cracking case solve. My son loved it. Shame the prizes weren't anything good.
all in all it was a great museum with loads of history.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank HamptonInnQueen
Hi HamptonInnQueen!
We are thrilled that you were amazed by all of our cool artifacts and enjoyed our interactives! We are so happy that your son loved the Top Detective Challenge! Thank you for your review – we hope to see you again soon!
Tatamy, Pennsylvania
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Can I just live here?”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We spent about 4 hours in the museum and I loved just about every part of it! There's only one part that I'd change, but I don't want to give it away and ruin it for anyone who hasn't been there yet! I was 99.9% happy about going and had such a great time. Great exhibits. I love the interactive ones the most.
I loved the details. Even outside the museum, they're piping out music like "Bad Boys". Loved it, loved it, loved it.
Everything is in sections...old west crimes, gangsters, cyber crimes...
It was crowded when we went, otherwise I might have lingered there for longer, but I felt I was holding up exhibits.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Starwoodinpa
Hi Starwoodinpa!
Thank you for your enthusiastic review! We are so happy that you loved our museum and had a great time! We hope that you come to see us again soon!
West Chester, PA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Not What I Expected”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I wanted to visit a museum that I had not been to before. I have been to the Smithsonian many times. I was a little leery when I arrived because I thought the admission price was a little steep, but it was well worth the money. The museum is a lot bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside. I was fascinated by all the exhibits, but especially the CSI exhibit. Some of the exhibits can be on the macabre side, but that adds to the atmosphere. I would recommend this museum for older children through adults. I would not recommend for young children. If you visit DC often, I suggest placing this one on the list of places to visit. If you don't visit often, visit the Smithsonian first.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank westtown_mom
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Hi westtown_mom!
Thank you for visiting us! We are so glad that our exhibits fascinated you and you especially enjoyed the CSI level- you should try one of our CSI workshops! We appreciate your review – thank you!