“Not What I Expected”

More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I wanted to visit a museum that I had not been to before. I have been to the Smithsonian many times. I was a little leery when I arrived because I thought the admission price was a little steep, but it was well worth the money. The museum is a lot bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside. I was fascinated by all the exhibits, but especially the CSI exhibit. Some of the exhibits can be on the macabre side, but that adds to the atmosphere. I would recommend this museum for older children through adults. I would not recommend for young children. If you visit DC often, I suggest placing this one on the list of places to visit. If you don't visit often, visit the Smithsonian first.

1  Thank westtown_mom
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

Hi westtown_mom!
Thank you for visiting us! We are so glad that our exhibits fascinated you and you especially enjoyed the CSI level- you should try one of our CSI workshops! We appreciate your review – thank you!

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Cool place to visit, highlights are Ted Bundy's car and Bonnie and Clyde's bullet ridden car. Plenty to see, a great section on serial killers, with many original artefacts from criminals over the years.

1  Thank Joshua E

Hi Joshua E.!
Thank you so much for your review! With over 600 artifacts, there is definitely a lot to see and a lot to learn about. We are so glad that you enjoyed our museum and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Worth the ticket price, for sure! Great fun for teens and adults. Do not bring kids under 11 or 12 - pretty gruesome at times and scary stories. Littler kids will just ruin it it for you and other visitors. The crime lab/forensics classes are really fun and worth the the extra fee - at least let your teens take one! Allow for about 3-4 hours- or more, if you read everything in every display, which you very well may wants to do here!

2  Thank VickyD2travel

Hi VickyD2travel!
Thank you for naming us a “must do”! We are thrilled that you all participated in one of our CSI workshops; I agree- they are really fun and are definitely worth doing while you are here! Thank you for your review! Come see us again soon!

Reviewed May 12, 2014

This is a cool museum to visit. There are a lot of interesting facts to learn about crime and punishment. Had a lot of fun.

Hi awils58!
We are excited that you had a lot of fun and found the information interesting! Thank you so much for your review! We hope to see you on your next trip to DC!

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Much to see and learn about our and others jaded past. Interesting history of progress in efforts to solve crime and how it is dealt with.

Hi Kit B!
Thank you for your review! I agree – there is so much to see and learn regarding crime and punishment throughout history. We are so glad that you enjoyed the material and hope to see you again soon!