“Awesome, fun, and creepy...”

National Museum of Crime & Punishment
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I study old-time crime...Dillinger, Bonnie & Clyde, etc., and finding out that Bonnie & Clyde's shot up vehicle was on display at this museum made it a "must see" for my husband and I. We were so surprised at the awesomeness of this museum. Everything is well-done and tasteful; when you're dealing with a distasteful subject like serial killers, this is not easy to do. I wasn't prepared, however, for the actual creepiness I felt at seeing Ted Bundy's car and artifacts, as well as John Wayne Gacy's clown costumes and paintings. Truly creepy. Everything from the soundtrack playing overhead, to the photos of criminals, modes of punishment from medieval times to today - it's all here - and informative. We dug this place. Lots of photo opportunities, as well, my husband got to "escape" from a replica jail cell, we both got to stand in a line-up, we were featured on "America's Most Wanted". It's a cool and neat place. Definitely one to check out when you've been "Smithsonian'ed" out. Enjoy!

2  Thank BillieGirl20
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Hi BillieGirl20!
Thank you for your comprehensive review! We are thrilled that you and your husband “dug” our museum!! As you said, the museum is very informative and interactive! I am so happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed the unique activities and photo opportunities throughout the museum! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 5, 2014

This had to be one of our favorite museums. It's so well done and informative. Starts off with crime and punishment from the medieval times right up into current times. Fun interactive sights for kids and just overall fantastic.

1  Thank Phoebebigelow

Hi Phoebebigelow!
We are so happy that you and your kids had a great time at our museum and that we are one of your favorite museums!! Thank you for your review; we hope to see you all again soon!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

This was a great stop - my 11 yr old loved it! Great exhibits and some interaction too. We got our tickets free with our 48 hour bus ticket but it is worth buying tickets.

CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Hi RikkiLeeFishers!

Thank you for your review! We are thrilled that you and your 11-year old loved our museum! We hope that you will visit us again on your next trip to DC!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Upon going up to the cashier to pay, the attendant was still counting money from the previous customer, she didn't even look up and welcome me. After about a minute she looked up, we gave her our Groupon (she didn't say anything), she took the money, entered something in the computer and all she said to us was "no eating, drinking or smoking or flash photography", didn't even say hope you enjoy your visit.

The museum is pretty cool, we spent almost 3 hours there and could have spent more but we had to leave for a previous commitment.

2  Thank Dave_D22015
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This was a great choice for me on a recent visit to DC. It was well worth the price of admission. I find crime, punishment, forensics, etc. very interesting. I opted for the audio for $4 more. That would be the only negative for me about this museum. The audio gives such a brief overview that I stopped using it pretty much within the first 10 minutes. It just became a distraction. We spent 3-1/2 hours there and only left because it was closing. I felt very rushed the last 1/2 hour, trying to skim everything. Given another two hours, I could have taken a more leisurely stroll through and seen everything that I wanted to see. My husband on the other hand, who enjoys this stuff but not to the extent that I do, probably could have gone through in a couple of hours. He was a real sport, but I know he was glad the museum was closing because he was basically waiting for me to make my way through. I was surprised to see so much stuff through the ages up to the present. It's a private museum so it is not free. The price was worth it for me, but I felt "ripped off" on the audio fee.

1  Thank Timeshare V

Hi TimeshareV!

We are so happy that you and your husband came to visit us on your trip to DC! I am glad that you are very interested in the subject of our museum and spent hours enjoying the material. We hope to see you next time you are in town. Thank you for your review and for your feedback!