“Very interesting museum”

More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The details and amount of information are incredible. It is very interesting, especially for those who are enthused by this kind of knowledge. There are lots of interactive sections like a cop car simulator, police shootout simulator, etc. It's great for kids who are thinking of forensics/law enforcement, even adults!

2  Thank c0untrygirl87
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Hi c0untrygirl87 - Thank you for visiting the Crime Museum! We are happy that you found the information to be very interesting and enjoyed our simulators! I agree - it is especially a great place for people interested in forensic science or law enforcement! We appreciate your review! Have a wonderful New Year! :-)

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We spent almost all day in this Museum. The details and interaction for the kids was fabulous! Both the grandson and I enjoyed this museum most of all and was well worth the visit.

2  Thank merrysunshine21
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Hi Merrysunshine21! We are thrilled that our museum was your favorite during your trip to DC! We are even happier to hear that you and your grandson had a great day here and were able to enjoy the interactives and the information! We hope you will visit us again :-)

Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

This museum is huge. Expect to spend at least 2 hours here. Lots of things to see. I would recommend the ear phones for an extra 5 bucks so you won't have to read all the exhibits stories.

3  Thank kidd3rd1
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Hi kidd3rd1 - Thank you for your review! The outside of the museum can be deceiving, because as you said," the museum is huge!" I agree that the audio tour is a great way to tour the museum as it provides extra information and eliminates some of the reading! We are so happy that you had lots of fun at the Crime Museum and hope to see you again soon! :-)

Reviewed November 29, 2013

My son and I were in DC and had spent a bit of time on the National Mall. We were tired and looking for something different so we found this museum online and decided to hunt it down. As a word of advice, don't let the downstairs put you off from going. It looks kind of kitschy as you go in. Also, unless you are with a pack of children the additional money for the little booklet where you find clues through out the exhibit so that you can locate the "stolen necklace" is really a waste of money. (We won three pencils reminding us to call 911 in an emergency once we located the stolen item.)
That was really the only downside to the day, our three pencils for about $10. The museum starts out with early forms of punishment including some horrific looking devices for punishing women who back-talked their husbands or husbands who kissed their wives in public. It had some interesting information on pirates, Bonnie and Clyde's car, information of serial killers, and then more modern prison information including famous mug shots. I still get giggles thinking about Bill Gates' mug shot (I think it was a traffic ticket in Albuquerque) where he was smiling like it was the best day of his life. My son and I went on to not only find the hidden loot, but we also we took out the shooter in the police simulator and passed our lie detector test.
We only made it through part of the museum so if you go plan more than a few hours, especially if you are the type who reads everything.

1  Thank RestlessCindi

Hi RestlessCindi! I am glad that you and your son came to visit us at the Crime Museum had a great experience! I am sorry that you felt that the Top Detective Challenge was a waste; we look at it as an interactive way to absorb and connect to the information throughout the museum and in the process you are solving a crime. Aside from that, I am happy that you all enjoyed the police simulator and passed the lie detector test! We thank you for your review, and hope you will visit us again :-)

Reviewed November 20, 2013

i love anything that is related to crime so I was basically in heaven in this place! three floors full of stuff related to crime. you could have the option of even solving your own crime, there are clues all over the three floors.

1  Thank Pierina R
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Hi Pierina R.! I am thrilled that you were in heaven at our museum! The Top Detective Challenge is a great way to explore the museum as it allows you to answer clues to solve a crime! We hope that you will come see us again - maybe you would like to participate in one of our labs!?! Thank you for your review :-)