“Very cool!”

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Very cool!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My daughter (22) and I spent March 17th, 2013 at this museum in DC. We got there around 1:00. The next time we looked it was 6:15! We literally read every description in front of every display.

As others have pointed out, the spelling and grammar are atrocious! I knew this from having read reviews prior to going. My daughter couldn't believe that there were so many misspellings and poor grammar. She asked "did a public school kid write these displays"! (Sorry if that is snarky, that is what she said).

We paid extra for the CSI experience. This was a little hokey - o.k., a lot hokey, but, it was kinda cute. Worth $8.00 extra each - I'm not so sure.

We got to the museum about 45 min before our CSI experience started. When it was time to go down to it, we just went on. There were no announcements, so keep tabs on the time.

The experience was held on the floor with the old set of America's Most Wanted. The premise of the experience is we are to solve a murder. We are given a 'file', which is supplemented with photo's of bullet exit wounds, stab wounds - while it sounds gruesome, it totally wasn't. But then, I'm an ex-surgery nurse practitioner, so there isn't much that rattles me. I love this kind of stuff. There was a little girl about 8 years old at our table. When they said they were going to run a film on an autopsy, I was concerned about the little girl. Believe me, you see more 'autopsy' on CSI Miami than during this video!

Then we got to inspect 6 fetal pigs - 2 with 'severed spines', 2 with gun-shot wounds, and 2 with stab wounds. I could determine the severed spine pigs, but not the other two. I've seen real GSW's and stabbings - these pigs did not have the same injuries! As the lady said, they are fetal pig sized gsw's and stabbings!

After this 45 min add-on, we returned to where we left off in the museum. There are several interactive exhibits. I kept trying and failing to 'crack the code' on a safe.

There is an auto driving simulator where you get to flip on the lights and sirens and take off after the bad guys. The vertigo this machine caused was unbelievable. My daughter was still complaining of feeling nauseous 2 hours later.

Then we got to the shooting simulator. What fun! I've shot a 9 mm hand-gun many times at the range. She had never picked up a gun. The video shows you (as a police officer) going into a crack house. You have to know when to shoot and when not to. The 'bad guy' jumps up with a gun, and dang if my daughter didn't plug him with two right in the chest, out of 3 shots fired!! My four shots didn't even come close to him! This was probably the best exhibit. No line, we just walked right up to the display.

But wait, there's more. There is an apartment scene where a 'murder' has been taken place. This several room exhibit then goes through what the CSI people do, there is an autopsy table with a 'body' on it. Then lots of info regarding ballistics and drug testing.

Moving on, you pass through a jail cell, and learn about various jails and some of the infamous people who lived in them.

All in all, a very nice way to spend a wet, cold, dreary day and be totally entertained.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank norcrossmom
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback; we definitely appreciate it! We are so happy that you and your daughter spent the day with us and decided to participate in many of the interactives throughout! We hope that you will visit us again soon! :-)

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Virginia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Favorite Museum in DC! So Cool!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

When museums that charged an admission fee in DC began opening up, I gave none of them a chance for surviving. Afterall, who would pay to go to a museum, when you could visit some of the best museums in the world for free? That being said, this museum is definitely worth the price of admission (especially if you can find discount admission tickets, which is pretty easy to do through sites such as Goldstar). It is so incredibly cool! It gives you a great appreciation of what it takes to solve a crime! This museum doesn't hold back, so it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea (and certainly not appropriate for very young children). What can you say about a museum that greets you with Ted Bundy's car? It's creepy, disturbing, educational, full and chilling at the same time! I have referred this museum to many family and friends, and they all came back to me saying they loved it! Definitely should be on everyone's list of things to see in DC. Great for both locals and visitors alike!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank MominVirginia
Thank you so much for your review and for naming us your "favorite museum in DC!" We understand that there are several museums in the area, most of which are free, so we are super appreciative of your kind words and referrals! We hope you will visit us again! :-)
Orlando, Florida
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Very interesting site”
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Very interesting place to visit, especially when you are into those type of series. Lots details about American history of crime and polices. Staff members are very friendly to answer questions. Definitely recommended to people above 13!!

2 Thank BetiFeng
CrimeMuseumStaff, Director of Sales at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear BetiFeng – Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to write a review on our behalf! We truly appreciate your comments and hope you can visit us again. Susan
Waterford, Virginia, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Must Experience After Hours”
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We decided on the half price Groupon Saturday night 7pm. Parked at the 600 Block "F" Street garage, P2 level... Exits right onto F Street, one block to the right.

The museum is three floors, LOTS to read. We spent 2.5 hours and cracked a safe, learned how to fingerprint and got to keep our prints, received prison tattoos then learned their meaning, swung differing types of murder weapons dipped in paint and analyzed spatter, drove a 3D police car experience, trained with Glock pistols in a police shooting drill, walked the line with 'drunk goggles', and tested our knowledge of real CSI work. That was just the hands on portion. The museum is FULL of background details, artifacts and 'murderabilia'.

Recommended!

2 Thank David A
Dear David A – Wasn’t After Hours fun! We even have fun working the event and love all the enthusiastic people that come to tour the Museum. I am glad you participated in all the extras, that is what they are there for! Your review was great. Thank you so much. Susan
Encino, CA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Do not miss visiting Crime and Punishment Museum”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We spent over 4 hours at this fascinating historical museum.( I would not bring young children.)
We rented audio guides and it provided interesting information along our way. We also signed up for the CSI experience. We and about 15 others were given the opportunity to solve a "crime" We were given a packet of information about a murder, possible suspects, witnesses, DNA evidence, blood spatters and fingerprints, and with the help of real forensic expert we tried to discover who murdered the victim. in about one hour. We were also given the opportunity to learn how to do our own fingerprints and also how to interpret fingerprints.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank watergalEncino_CA
Dear watergalEncino_CA – Thank you so much for your great review! I am glad you spent so much time here! That is the way to do it! The Forensic Lab you participated in is our signature lab and a favorite amongst most guests. We just added a Firearms & Ballistics lab. If you are ever in town again your next lab is on us! Susan