“Great experience with few "glitches"”

National Museum of Crime & Punishment
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Wauwatosa, WI
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great experience with few "glitches"”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Overall, I would highly recommend this museum. I was a bit leery because their website looks a little "sketchy" compared to other museums, but thought it was worth a shot and I'm glad I did! Purchasing tickets on their website saves you a couple bucks; I did see that our hotel had some coupons, as well.
I got tickets for my date and I to do the Forensic Lab experience (these tickets include museum admission) which was really cool! You have a crime to solve and in a small group you learn different techniques that help you (i.e. blood spatter station to determine the weapon used, fingerprinting station, checking alibis vs. phone records). The folks working the Forensic Lab appeared to really like their "CSI-like" jobs, which always helps.
The museum itself has tons of stuff to look at and interact with...stuff about serial killers, history over time of punishment techniques, prison breaks, famous criminals, weapons, etc. As others have commented, this place is much larger than it appears.

Glitches:
There was a really long line and "check-in" and an employee who seemed more concerned with checking his cell phone than helping the guy at the desk move the line along.
Lots of spelling errors in the displays. I am a freak for spelling, but I found too many to count! I am not the only one who noticed because when I pointed it out, a lady nearby commented as well.
The museum has a chronological flow to it and because we started in the Forensic Lab, which is downstairs, there was no easy way to get back to the starting point, so we basically did the museum backwards which made it illogical for some parts.

Parenting note: I am a pretty liberal parent of a 9 year old boy, but I do remember thinking that I would hold off on bringing him here until he's a bit older.

1 Thank WanderJunkie
CrimeMuseumStaff, Director of Sales at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear WanderJunkie – Great Name! Thank you so much for your review! I wanted to address the employee on their cell phone first as that is a big problem. I will address this review with my staff. I am so glad, aside from that, your experience overall was great. I also chuckled a little when you mentioned the “folks who teach the lab like their jobs”. I would hope so! That is their real job or soon will be! They are all Master Students at George Washington University in Forensic Science. Thank you again for the review! Susan

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I recently came here with my friends. We bought our tickets through Groupon, so they were significantly cheaper. I'm not sure I'd want to pay much more to visit a museum in DC, considering so many other ones are free. But once we got there we realized the museum is huge. We spent the better part of the day visiting the museum and only leaving to grab lunch. If you're interested in crime or CSI type shows, you should definitely consider visiting this museum.

1 Thank Kelly5575
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear that you spent the day with us and had a great time exploring our museum. It is definitely a lot larger than it appears! :-)
Crestview, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Mueum of Crime and Punishment”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This museum is a lot of fun. Besides cars and paraphenalia from well known criminals there are articles and stories on all the well known older as well as recent serial killers. Bonnie and Clyde's "car" that is there is actually the one in the movie, not the original car they drove, that to me was a disappointment. But they did have Dormer's car and various articles from many other well known people. There is an area of police instruction for shooting and driving various scenarios. "most wanted" films there occasionally. It's worth a visit and kids would love it.

1 Thank Sharon C
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and for your feedback! We are happy that you had fun at the museum!!
NY
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Exceeded my expectations by far”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Went in on a goof and was very pleasantly surprised. Well, it wasn't pleasant -- it was a crime and punishment museum after all! But it was very interesting, interactive displays and loads of info and pictures. Best of all were the simulators and the sheer number of artifacts. I wouldn't think it was for kids.

1 Thank CathyinNY_8
We are happy to hear that you were " very pleasantly surprised". It is great that you found the information interesting and enjoyed the various interactives, especially the firearms and driving simulators! We hope to see you again! :-)
Queens, New York
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Love it!!! Anyone visiting DC should see this museum”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Well, I have always been infatuated with law enforcement, crime shows, serial killers, forensics,etc. This museum has it all. As much as it will shock you, it provides good information. I spent nearly 3.5hrs during a day trip to DC from New York. The cost for the museum is around $21.00USD for adults, $15.00USD if you purchase ticket online.

Can you imagine walking in and the first thing you see is the actual VW Beetle that infamous serial killer Ted Bundy owned?

So if your into true crime, ID addict, you will lose yourself inside this museum like I did. Definitely something worth seeing besides the usual DC area attractions

Visited January 2013
1 Thank SkyManagerNYC
Thank you so much for your kind review and for visiting us! We are thrilled that you loved the Crime Museum!! The museum definitely offers something different than the typical DC attractions. :-) We hope you will come see us again, and maybe try one of our forensics workshops!