“Pleasantly Surprised”

More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I recently came here with my friends. We bought our tickets through Groupon, so they were significantly cheaper. I'm not sure I'd want to pay much more to visit a museum in DC, considering so many other ones are free. But once we got there we realized the museum is huge. We spent the better part of the day visiting the museum and only leaving to grab lunch. If you're interested in crime or CSI type shows, you should definitely consider visiting this museum.

1  Thank Kelly5575
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear that you spent the day with us and had a great time exploring our museum. It is definitely a lot larger than it appears! :-)

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This museum is a lot of fun. Besides cars and paraphenalia from well known criminals there are articles and stories on all the well known older as well as recent serial killers. Bonnie and Clyde's "car" that is there is actually the one in the movie, not the original car they drove, that to me was a disappointment. But they did have Dormer's car and various articles from many other well known people. There is an area of police instruction for shooting and driving various scenarios. "most wanted" films there occasionally. It's worth a visit and kids would love it.

1  Thank Sharon C
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you so much for your review and for your feedback! We are happy that you had fun at the museum!!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Went in on a goof and was very pleasantly surprised. Well, it wasn't pleasant -- it was a crime and punishment museum after all! But it was very interesting, interactive displays and loads of info and pictures. Best of all were the simulators and the sheer number of artifacts. I wouldn't think it was for kids.

1  Thank CathyinNY_8

We are happy to hear that you were " very pleasantly surprised". It is great that you found the information interesting and enjoyed the various interactives, especially the firearms and driving simulators! We hope to see you again! :-)

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Well, I have always been infatuated with law enforcement, crime shows, serial killers, forensics,etc. This museum has it all. As much as it will shock you, it provides good information. I spent nearly 3.5hrs during a day trip to DC from New York. The cost for the museum is around $21.00USD for adults, $15.00USD if you purchase ticket online.

Can you imagine walking in and the first thing you see is the actual VW Beetle that infamous serial killer Ted Bundy owned?

So if your into true crime, ID addict, you will lose yourself inside this museum like I did. Definitely something worth seeing besides the usual DC area attractions

1  Thank SkyManagerNYC

Thank you so much for your kind review and for visiting us! We are thrilled that you loved the Crime Museum!! The museum definitely offers something different than the typical DC attractions. :-) We hope you will come see us again, and maybe try one of our forensics workshops!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I almost didnt go because I was so tired and worn out by the time I was supposed to go this museum. I forced myself to get off my butt (because I had already purchased tix online) and I am glad I got off my lazy tail and went!

This is such a cool museum for anyone! The reason shows like NCIS, First 48, Americas Most Wanted and all the other cops shows are popular is because we as a society are curious about crime and punishment. This museum puts it within your reach. It is well laid out (until the end), well thought out and full of information about everything from the days of the Wild West, to prohibition and the glory days of the Mob and gangs to more modern crimes. There are electric chairs, lethal injection consoles and other items of punishment that were actually used at one time or another.

Relics and personal items from the most famous criminals in history are creepy at times and if you know about some of the stories, the personal stuff will send chills down your back. John Wayne Gacy, the Unabomber, The Boston Strangler, The Night Stalker, Tim McVeigh and others all await you!

There are very interesting interactive displays all throughout the museum including video screens for trivia and other info, kids tips from McGruff the Crime Dog and a jail cell complete with hole in the wall for escape! Not to mention the Amercias Most Wanted set on the bottom floor. Thats where the "end" gets confusing. It is a little difficult to find the exit, which is back upstairs from the AMC set. That was the only draw back and not near enough to ruin your trip.

I encountered a couple of the staff members and they were very pleasant and smiling. All in all, I would recommend that you not sit on your lazy butt and chance missing this one. It is one of the more interesting museums in the DC area.

Thank you for your review! We are happy that you found energy and were able to come visit us! And every happier to hear that it was "well worth the visit!" I agree that our society is curious about crime and punishment, and the museum does a great job at allowing you to grasp it through information, artifacts, and interactive displays! We hope to see you again soon! :-)