“Sight Seeing in DC” 2 of 5 bubbles

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Sight Seeing in DC”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Wanted to try something different. My daughter is a fan of all of the NCIS type shows so we gave this a try. I'm glad I had a 50% off coupon from Groupon; otherwise, i would have been really upset. More "mob" type things. Would skip. Lots of stairs.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Stacy J
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback; we truly appreciate it. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at our museum. We do have an elevator as an option to avoid the stairs, but I do apologize for any inconvenience that you encountered during your tour. :-(

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Antonio
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Expensive but worth it...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were a little bit leary about the cost of entry for this museum, having been burned more than once but- this one is worth the outlay.

It's very well organized- you start out in medievel times (where the emphasis was clearly on punishment!) and work your way through to the spies and bad guys (and gals) of today. There's a booklet you can get with clues for the kids to find which definitely helped us steer the 8 year old to the more kid-friendly exhibits. Some of the stuff is pretty gruesome so we avoided bits. I think his favorite section was the section about the gunslinging times- there's a rifle exhibit with targets that costs one dollar for the two tokens needed. The pirates section was also a hit.

I thought it was really well done and truth be told, my son found this more engaging than the Spy Museum. I don't know if it's because he's a little older than when we went to the Spy Museum or if it's the layout but he definitely enjoyed it.

The gift shop didn't have anything that yelled out 'buy me' for anyone, which is a plus for my wallet but not for their bottom line. (although the entrance fees more than cover my lack of purchasing anything!)

Visited January 2013
We are happy to hear that you had a great visit at our museum and participated in several of our interactives. Especially pleased to find out that your 8 year-old enjoyed the treasure hunt!! Maybe when he is a bit older he would enjoy one of our forensic workshops! We hope you come see us again! :-) Thank you for your feedback!
Hyde, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“A great museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We spent a really fun afternoon here. We were there for nearly four hours and it was time that passed so quickly. It covers crime throughout history and takes in every aspect of crime from commission to detection. There is the largest amount of interactive opportunities - more than any other museum I've ever been in. They provide enough for kids as well. A great visit and worth at least one more look next time we're the.

1 Thank SteveB99
Thank you so much for your kind review! We are thrilled that you had a fun afternoon with us and enjoyed our interactives! We are always working on adding new information, artifacts and exhibits, so definitely come back and see us next time you visit DC!! :-)
Clayton, Georgia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“A little more cliche' than expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

It's starts off in historic, midevil times to torture of criminals. Some interesting things about the "Mob", famous criminals, etc- but the cost was about $25 each and something I could have skipped. Oh well- live and learn.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank KimberlyR734
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time at our museum, but we do appreciate your feedback.
Washington, DC
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Extremely Cool!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Finally took a moment to check this off my to-do list. Reserved discount tickets online which allowed me to skip the line and go right in to start my tour. Put on your walking shoes for this tour. Not only are there various stairs, but the museum is vast and every space is filled with interesting data; original documents from courts, newspapers and criminals themselves; and real-life artifacts (e.g., Ted Bundy's VW is in the lobby!). It took friend and I about 3 hours to see most of it. We only scanned a few exhibits because we started to get tired of standing (it was a bit crowded which is understandable as a holiday visitor's mecca). There are great picture-taking props strategically placed that made for great memory making as well. The interactive and hands-on exhibits were fun and educational.

I really liked the attention to detail for each time period from pirates to prohibition to current day executions; there was a lot of history on exhibit. The descriptions of punishment in the early Americas was extremely enlightening - some of the disciplinary actions used then might be helpful in some cases now - LOL! I learned so much going through this exhibit about our criminal justice system, which I must have skipped or tuned out in law school. Ha! Don't forget to check out the America's Most Wanted studio before you leave. Highly recommended visit for ages 8+ because it's a fun learning experience.

Visited December 2012
4 Thank Crecia
Thank you so much for your kind review! We are so happy that you had a great experience visiting us and enjoyed the interactive exhibits! I agree, there are a lot of picture-taking props which allow you to create some fun memories! :-)