“Fascinating 3 hours”

70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Fascinating 3 hours”
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

To find the museum, take the metro and exit at Archives stop. Then take 7th Street up. Once you cross E Street the museum is located on your right hand side. It takes about 5 minutes to walk from metro.

Tour starts with medieval ages crime and contraptions to punish criminals such as funnel for water torture, French iron, hand irons, etc.

You will then learn about America's first criminals whose crimes were often as simple as swearing, being caught drunk on public or not attending church services.

Proceeding further a chapter on piracy will be taught. Piracy was a man's pursuit but did you know there were several famous pirates as well?

Few steps further you will learn about the Legends of the West, both on the side of law and against it.

Crime thrived during the Great Depression and you will have a chance to learn about it while walking through the next exhibit followed by crime scene during the Prohibition and the rise of the mafia, and finally you will be shown some of the crimes of more recent history, robberies, heists, scams, hoaxes, murders, assassinations, identity theft, and computer crimes.

The last part of your excursion is devoted to the methods of investigating crimes and punishment of criminals through the US history. Due to my interest in forensic science this was my favorite part.

The museum offers great amount of reading material, many items to be viewed, and a variety of interactive activities for both adults and children. I spent 3.5 hours and if I wasn't pressed for time, I can see myself staying at least an hour longer.

I learned many fascinated facts about the history of Crime in America and recommend it to those interested in the subject.

Well worth the $23.27 adult admission.

1 Thank Gabigabs
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit! Since you are interested in forensic science, I think you would really like our forensic workshops! We hope that you will come see us again! :-)

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ok to visit once”
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Expected a little more for this money. Not a lot of stuff to see, but a lot to read... It is ok to go there once.

We are sorry to hear that you found your visit just "ok", but we are truly appreciative of your feedback. :-/
Silver Spring, Maryland
“You'll be consumed!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I paid my first visit to the Crime and Punishment Museum over Thanksgiving break and I had a great time! I had no idea what to expect, but I was completely consumed. There was so much to do and see. Plus, I spent so much time on the interactive sections, that I ended up quizzing myself most of the time. I had a great time and would truly recommend this for anybody....tourist or not!

Visited November 2012
Thank you for your review! We are so happy that you had a great time at the museum. There are tons of artifacts and interactives, as well as information, so there is definitely a lot to see and do! We are glad you enjoyed it all! We hope to see you again soon! :-)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 attraction reviews
“Wierdly awesome and disturbing”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

They had some good stuff in the this museum. Im a big true crime book reader and this is one of the things I had to do on my trip to DC and it did not disappoint. When you walk in right at the front door is Ted Bundy's car. It was interactive and my husband loved that. He got to drive a simulated car chase and do a simulated house arrest thingy. The CSI lab was pretty cool too.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Thank you for your review! We are happy that you and your husband had a great time at our museum and were able to enjoy so many different aspects - such as the CSI lab and the simulators!
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great for crime buffs”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was surprised at how large this museum actually was, deceiving on the outside. A lot of photos and collections from over the years of various crimes. Very interesting for those in law enforcement or crime buffs. America's Most Wanted is filmed here as well.

Visited November 2012
Thank you for your review and for visiting us! The building is definitely deceiving from the outside, but with 3 floors and 25,000sqft. it is full of exciting and informative exhibits! We are so happy that you had an enjoyable visit! :-)