“Not worth the money”

More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Was extremely disappointed. was mostly writings and stories on a board on wall. way overpriced..something like 25.00 dollars...my friends I brought with me were so turned off they went to the end and sat there and waited for my husband and I to finish tour....not what I expected at all. the Spy Museum was so much better...was there on October 16, 2012

4  Thank PeggyMinnesota
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you for your review and for your feedback. We are always disappointed when someone does not enjoy their visit. While there is a lot of reading, we do our best to provide artifacts, interactives, and an audio option so that hopefully there is something that everyone will enjoy. We understand that the museum is not for everyone, and we are always working to improve based on visitor feedback. Thank you!

There are newer reviews for National Museum of Crime & Punishment

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We went to the International Spy Museum first and then to the National Museum of Crime and Punishment. They are both within walking distance of each other and since the National Museum of Crime and Punishment was open until 7 p.m. we did it second. It was fantastic! Our eleven year old loved this interactive museum. It was his favorite museum in DC! A few of the favorite exhibits were the history of major criminals exhibit, hands on replicas of stocks and pillories and other forms of punishment throughout the years. and crime scene investigations. Throughout the museum there were interactive computer screens. I think older children (maybe 9 and up), teens and adults that love history, forensics and/or "cops and robbers" would love this museum.

The admission staff and gift shop staff were exceptional! They were friendly and happy to answer questions or help in any way. The museum is located very close to many great restaraunts and a very short walk from the Chinatown/Gallery Place Metro stop. (closer to the Gallery Place Exit)

1  Thank fiftystateswithkids

Thank you so much for your review and for visiting us! We are thrilled that your family had a great experience!! That is exciting that your son loved our interactives and that we are his favorite museum in DC!! We hope to see you on your next trip to DC! :-)

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We went here on our last day to kill time before our train out of Union Station. They allowed us to check our bags which was very convenient. This museum was better than we expected, very informative and fun with lots of interactive exhibits. Actually lost track of time and then had to rush to make our train!!

1  Thank RDD57
CrimeMuseumStaff, Director of Sales at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear RDD57 - I am so glad you made your train! Thank you so much for your positive review. We may look small on the outside, but we are big on the inside! I am glad you stopped in, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have always had a fascination with true crime, majored in criminal justice in college and my favorite class was "The History of Crime and Punishment". This museum was a semester of that class all laid out beautifully with well organized displays filled with interesting written facts along with pictures, real weapons, artifacts, and even a recreation of Al Capone's prison cell. My kids, ages 8 and 11, enjoyed the many interactive features especially "breaking out" of the mock jail cell, driving the simulator police car and the "shooting" simulator. I am sure that this museum is not as fascinating to some people, but for people like me who find crime and punishment interesting, this was wonderful. It is a bit pricey, I would definitely research coupons or discounts before going.

1  Thank disneylover98

Dear DisneyLover98 - The History of Crime & Punishment Rocks! We really appreciate this review. We try hard to appeal to all people. Crime Buffs and Lovers of Justice find a home at the Crime Museum. Next time you are in town you have to try a Forensic Science Workshop. TV is shaping how the public views Forensic Science and TV has got most of it wrong. We are here to set the record straight. The workshop is on us, so we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had Groupon discount tickets and it was a great deal! If you are interested in crime - its history, implements, and the like, this is a fascinating museum. As an example, Bonnie & Clyde's car is an exhibit. Another section of the museum focuses on crime in the old West. This museum fascinated my husband and I, less so our teens. So, after spending a long time, we left before seeing the top floor which I understand is more forensics-oriented. I want to go back by myself to see the rest of it!

1  Thank DCLizzy

Dear DCLizzy - Thank you so much for your great review. We really appreciate it. If you are bringing kids you have to let them do the Top Detective Challenge. It is really fun. We actually have a Medallion in the Museum that they have to find and if they do, they get a prize. Again, we are so happy you took the time to give us this review. We hope to see you again soon!