“Fun Fun Fun! Allow lots of time!”

National Museum of Crime & Punishment
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My family (hubby & 2 teenagers) had the best time here! We packed as much into our 2 night DC stay as possible (the Capitol, Newseum,War Memorials, paddle boats, Frederick Douglas house, all the Smithsonians we could fit into the schedule, etc.) and this quirky place was the highlight of it all! We were there for close to 3 hours (and left only because they were closing for the night :-). It has the perfect blend of museum artifacts and information, and action! Kept everyone interested, with plenty to read and learn and also lots of opportunities to interact (crime scene simulators, prison break outs, target practice...).

I just really, i mean really, enjoy leaving a place feeling like I totally got my money's worth... plus more! I just cant recommend it highly enough. Families with smaller children (maybe under 7 or 8) may want to evaluate how their kids handle dark or unfamiliar exhibits before going, but the place is soo big and so varied (brightly lit in places as well) that it seems you could easily bypass any areas that kids may be hesitant about. Overall, the museum does not go overboard with any gory nonsense anyway. It's just a solid, educational museum experience that just happens to have a lot of extra zip to keep everyone engaged! Go!

1  Thank ellbeetee
CrimeMuseumStaff, Director of Sales at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write this review. I am so glad to hear you had such an amazing time at our museum. I hope you also had a good time in DC! Our museum is filled with so much interesting information. I can understand why you spent almost three hours here! :) We do offer public CSI labs in Saturday’s. When you come back to DC, you should definitely try one with your family. If you loved the museum, you would absolutely love the labs. Thank you again!

Reviewed October 12, 2011

I took my 14 year old son to the museum for the afternoon. We both really enjoyed what it had to offer. We learned a lot about past, and not so distant past, criminals. We found the displays of the mass murderers especially interesting. We saw the stage and crime lab where "America's Most Wanted" was filmed. We were sorry to hear that the show was cut by the networks.

Afterwards, we enjoyed lunch at Au Bon Pain. It was located around the block from the museum. All in all, it was a wonderful afternoon shared with my son.

Thank you so much for this amazing review. I am so glad to hear that you had such a great time with your son. On your next visit try one of our public CSI labs on Saturdays. They are very interactive and fun! It would be great activity on your next outing with your son. :) Thank you again!

Reviewed September 29, 2011

I found this museum very intriguing. You got to experience every era of crime and punishment from the Victorian days up to present day. We went here on a Groupon special so definitely worth the money. The gun and police car stimulation at the end was so much fun...definitely try it out and its free. I would not waste your money on the gun game in the Cowboy section...just not that interesting as I learned the hard way.
I think this is a must see by all who find this kind of thing interesting...but be prepared to read A LOT!

CrimeMuseumStaff, Director of Sales at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this great review! The Gun and police car stimulator are so much fun! I’m glad you enjoyed them. Next time you come, participate in one of our CSI labs. They are very interactive and fun! Thank you again and we appreciate your business.

Reviewed September 20, 2011

This museum was fascinating and well worth visiting. The exhibits are very interesting, you can take photos, and it is fun. Would go again!

CrimeMuseumStaff, Director of Sales at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Thank you so much for the awesome review! I am so glad to hear you had a good time. There are definitely many photo opportunitues in the museum. We hope that you come back very soon! We do have public CSI workshops on Saturdays. They are so much fun! Try it out next time you visit! Thank you again!

Reviewed September 16, 2011

I went with my 3 kids as a surprise 14th birthday treat for the middle son. All of us had a great time. I can honestly say that this is the first time that my kids took the time to read all the information that was posted at each exhibit in a museum. The staff that were available at the driving and shooting simulations were wonderful. They seemed to enjoy working with the guests & that made a real impression on me because most times you get employees who look like they can't wait to leave. I was also impressed by the exhibits devoted to law enforcement personnel, especially those that dealt with the officers who gave their lives in the line of duty.
We can't wait for out-of-towners to visit so we can go back a few more times (we only live 30 minutes away)

CrimeMuseumStaff, Sales Coordinator at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this great review. I'm glad that you all had a good time and your kids had fun! All of us here love our job and we try to show our guest that. We hope that you come back very soon with your visitors or with just your family again. We do have public CSI labs on Saturdays that are very interactive and fun. The whole family would love it! Thank you again for coming. We appreciate your business.