“Outstanding Pizza”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night
Chevy Chase, MD
“Outstanding Pizza”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great little restaurant in a strip mall in Northwest DC. Pizzas are made in a wood-fired oven and they are great. The "ping pong" in the name reflects the fact that there are several ping pong tables for customer use (no charge). Excellent venue for kids, birthday parties, etc. Comet also does a brisk take-out business. Pizzas run about $12-$15/pie, and you get 4-6 slices from each.

“Fun Place Great Pizza”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We loved Comet Pizza. The restaurant is full of energy. The ping pong theme is fun and great for kids. It was quite busy, so expect a wait at prime times. I loved my pizza and the beer choices are fun and interesting. We will definitely go back!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Hipster(whatever that implies) , not family”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Another triple D overpriced eatery. Long wait, not worth it. Pizza is good, nothing special, Ping Pong a tourist attraction and the foosball table needs to be thrown out. Bathrooms are disgusting and I'm not that critical (my wife is). Pass this one up and leave it to the locals---will be closed in 2-3 years when the novelty wears off. One positive--if you must go ,wait at the bookstore (politics and prose) close by.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank alex v
Carrollton, Texas
“Good, Very Busy”
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Comet had some very good pizza. We had three varieties, each pizza is individual sized. Nice crust, quality toppings. Crust is the right mix if chewy and crisp. There was an excellent selection of craft brews. We went on a Thursday night about 6:00 and had a 15-20 minute wait and that wait only got longer as the night went along. There are 3 ping pong tables and 1 foosball table, all were very busy.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Hipsters Only”
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

I am not sure if most of the people who have written positive reviews on this establishment have ever had good pizza before or if they are just reacting to the hype. First off, if you are not a hipster of any sort you will probably be lost. The decor screams of trying too hard to be cool and the large television had some sort of crazy "find random objects and set them up to fall like dominoes" video playing on a loop (instead of the Olympics or something remotely interesting to a wider audience). I did like that they had a live feed of folks playing ping pong in the back, it was entertaining and made me get the itch to join in on the fun (it was getting late or we might have).

I went with a friend of mine, who had suggested it based on highly positive reports he had gotten, and our two significant others. One of their appetizers (I am blanking on the name of it) is merely leftover pizza crust with no seasoning and a side of ranch dressing... great for reusing ingredients, but incredibly uninspired and tasteless.

My girlfriend and I chose two pizzas that we each thought sounded interesting so we could split them and try slices of each one (they are personal sized). Neither pizza was very edible. The crust was hard and chewy, and yet soggy enough in the center that the toppings immediately fell off the entire slice upon trying to pick it up. While the descriptions sounded amazing in the menu, the product didn't live up to their promise. Plus the wax paper underneath was an unnecessary impediment to cutting it with a knife and fork, unless you enjoy eating paper (in hindsight I would recommend removing it entirely).

The pros: they had a good list of microbrews which I had to have several of to choke down the food, the service was prompt, and my friend got an ice cream sandwich at the end which he said was really good. Their bathroom entrances were crazy unique and had a hidden speakeasy kind of feel (although the bathrooms themselves were filthy in traditional hipster fashion).

I would say only eat here if you are a hipster, if you are a ping pong afficianado, or if you are really into the whole sustainable food movement. If you like great pizza or tasty food in general definitely don't spend $14 on this dreck.

4 Thank nealorsomething