“Nice place to stay in Washington.......”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed in this hotel on a business trip in May.
We stayed for three nights.
Lovely bedroom, very spacious, clean and comfortable.
Nice roof top pool area with a bar. Great in the evening sunshine.
Very well located - short walk to lively bars/ restaurants and also to the touristy things like The White House and the museums etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room...... And join their ( free ) loyalty club in advance to get free wifi includ...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Moonzo
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Moonzo,

Thank you for an excellent review. I am very happy to read that you had a great stay with us.

We look forward to having you back to Donovan House.

Elif

Write a ReviewReviews (1,741)

Reviewed July 2, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at a Kimpton Hotel in Washington DC...Donovan House.

We've stayed at Kimpton hotels several times in various cities and have always found them to be excellent.

The Donovan House met the standard....but one employee stood out. From meeting us at the front door and quickly taking care of our car.....to then being at the front desk with our claim check.....to recommending a restaurant....to offering complementary drink tickets....to being cheerful and welcoming....."JOHN D" exceeded expectations.

If you stay at Donovan House in Washington, DC and encounter "JOHN D"....you won't be disappointed.

Bobbing 2

Room Tip: Do not take a room on the second floor at the front of the hotel....bright lights shine all night.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Bobbing2,

Thank you for your review!

Wow!! What a great recognition for John D. He is awesome and we are very lucky to have him as part of our team. I will personally thank him for his outstanding performance.

We are looking forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

The staff was friendly, the atmosphere was trendy elegant, and the beds and linens where comfortable. The hotel was conveniently located within walking distance of everything and even if you don't feel like walking no cab ride cost me more then $8.00. The mini bar had a large variety of selection. The pool is ok but a little small. Overnight parking is a bit pricey, and the restaurant isn't anything to rave about and my french toast for breakfast was burnt. I was not happy with the constant flow of non guest traffic in the elevators heading to the rooftop club. There was nothing stopping these visitors from getting off on any floor and I felt this as a security risk. I can't tell you about the grand bathrooms the hotel raves of because they stuck us in a handicap room without notice.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coreym207
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear coreym207,

Thank you for your review and detailed comments about your experience.

As you mentioned, our hotel is located in the center of so many great attractions and also newly renovated with great products. On the other hand, I am so sorry the read about the inconveniences you experienced and please accept my sincere apologies. I hope it will not stop you from coming back to us.

Thank you for choosing us and hope to have you back soon...

Reviewed July 1, 2014

The staff at Donovan House are absolutely top notch! Brittany at the front desk was a particular stand out during our most recent visit. Her infectious smile and "Let me know if there is ANYTHING I can help you with" attitude combined to turn a mixed business/personal trip into a delightful getaway for me and my wife.

Make sure you take the time to visit Zentan as well as the Rooftop pool/bar.

I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the circle have a great view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Sailor6651,

Thank you for a great review!

What a great recognition for Brittany. She is absolutely outstanding and great asset to our team.
I will personally thank her for exceeding your expectations.

Please come back and visit us again in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

I took my 4 year old daughter here for a Saturday Night Stay this past weekend. The hotel is modern and stylish as you would expect from a Kimpton hotel. I received a very good rate from a blind booking site, and felt it was good value. The highlight was the excellent front desk, the Woman who checked us in even gave my daughter a pick of several toys.

The pool was very nice but there wasn't enough room for the guests, and they had a good portion blocked off to create a lounge. The entire area should have been dedicated to hotel guests.

Now for my issue. In one of the drawers there were two prophylactic wrappers. If the cleaning staff had just opened the drawer they would have found them. Oversight happens and certainly didn't ruin my trip... but I did not leave a tip. If not for the issue I would have rated this hotel 4/5.

Room Tip: Even on a low floor the view of the Circle is wonderful.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

joeyelbows,

Thank you for your review!

Super excited to read about the little surprise for your daughter.

Please accept my apologies for the trouble you experienced in your room. I will share your comments with my team so we could continue to improve our products and services. And I hope that it will not stop you from coming back to us.

We hope to see you soon...

Cheers

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We have stayed here a few times while visiting DC for the weekend. It's very modern, comfortable, nicely decorated and clean. Great location. We love that they have a happy hour with wine! Great perk. We always enjoy our stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

lisaoterpsrx,

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your preferred location to stay during your visits to Washington, D.C. area. We truly appreciate the great review and looking forward to having you back with us in the future.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Think the best thing about the Donovan House is the caliber and attentiveness of its staff -- they are friendly, helpful and quick to correct anything that is not right. I had a small issue with my room upon checking in, and within minutes, they brought a key to a new room up to me. The place doesn't try too hard, which is good -- nothing worse than boutiques that try to be more cool than they are. The room service food is good, and delivered quickly (although, to not have breakfast available at 6am is a miss). For the money it is good value, but do feel it's lacking something. The rooms are okay -- clean and contemporary, but despite the comfort of the bed, it is not the most comfortable room. I heard the place was recently renovated, but it didn't feel like it was

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear amanwarren,

Thank you for your review!

I am so happy to read about the great service you received during your stay.
On the other hand, I am very sorry to read that you did not feel comfortbale in our rooms. We have several different room types so hope to see you give us another chance and try a different room type. Please feel free to contact me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com for any future reservations.