“EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE, STYLE & VALUE IN CENTRAL WASHINGTON”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #23 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights at the end of August and I cannot fault this hotel. The staff are attentive, friendly and informative. From the moment I arrived until the time they put my suitcases in a taxi for the airport, they were the friendliest and most helpful hotel staff I have ever come across.

The location of the hotel is in central Washington just by Thomas Circle and a 10 minute walk away from The White House. There are numerous places to visit a few blocks away whether it be shopping, eating or sight seeing. The rooms are phenomenal! They are beyond large and have access to the rooftop pool which is a big hit during the summer months (The W Hotel has no outdoor/rooftop!). The tiger/zebra bathrobes also add that glamorous touch whilst lounging around the room! The TV's are also particularly large so getting a film to watch in bed is like being in a cinema! During my stay there were free drinks from 17:00-18:00 daily which was pretty amazing. The inclusive breakfast was incredible, the food and the selection for breakfast was vast. You will definitely not go hungry at this hotel. The staff were very attentive and recommended places to visit and try out.

The pool is the best feature! The pool, although not that large has enough space for plenty of sun loungers around it and is perfect for dipping in and out under the blazing sun. There is a free water fountain and bar on the roof top should you wish to quench your thirst with any other drinks around the pool.

Since my visit, I have joined the Kimpton Member's club so I don't miss out on any offers at any of their US based hotels. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough! This totally knocks the socks off any hotel I have stayed in over in the USA!!! STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Hi Ingrid G,

Thanks for your TripAdvisor review.

Wow, totally love all the detail! Thanks for highlighting the location. We think this is a true competitive advantage against other Hotels. Being in the middle of it all and right on the 14th Street Corridor is great for our guests. Pool season is almost here, just a few short months away!

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,788)

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We love kimpton. They have a swanky, hip, modern vibe and always have great perks. Become a kimpton member online and they will send you some great deals (credit toward the minibar, discount on massages, etc). Their hotels remind me of a really nice Ikea! I got a massage in-room and the masseuse was FANTASTIC! Highly recommended.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi Kburks,

Thanks for your TripAdvisor review.

Sounds like you had a great stay. So you know, we're undergoing a major rooms renovation and will have a brand new product to present in a few short months. Should totally amp up the swanky, hip and modern, plus add some functionality.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I highly recommend the Donovan House. My husband book a one night stay for our 10yr anniversary. The hotel decor was beautiful and the staff was amazing. I was surprised by the shower in the bathroom the water comes from the ceiling. I didn't bring a shower cap and we called the front desk and one was brought it up very quickly. The hotel seemed to be adult friendly!!! I can not say enough how the staff works quickly to meet your needs. We asked about a nice place to listen to music and have a few drinks. The hotel manager was able to get us in at a club down the street. The happy hour was great! We love ordering breakfast in bed and the late check out!!! Food was delicious.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi WeLoveVacations1101,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review!

We're totally adult friendly. Tends to be our target clientele, but we do cater to all. Thanks for mentioning the Front Desk. We've got some real dialed in folks down there that really enjoy the local scene themselves. Glad you took advantage of their knowledge.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Had a great stay here, amazing rate via Hotwire and location is perfect, 10min walk from the White House. Modern clean stylish hotel, wine & "hot tottie" reception every night was brilliant, friendly helpful staff - would highly recommend

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NZFinch

Hi NZFinch,

Thanks for your comment on TripAdvisor!

Sounds like you got a great deal on Hotwire. That's awesome. It's not often you can find us, but when you do book it ASAP. Can you keep a secret? We're undergoing a full-scale renovation right now. Whooops.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I've stayed at Donovan House several times on my business trips and always enjoy it. I had flight delays on the way in and let them know I likely wouldn't reach the hotel until 4am and they were ready to chack me in as soon as I arrived so I could get straight to bed. I've signed up for their free rewards program and received free wifi and a $10 voucher for the mini bar which are definitely nice perks. My room was big and comfortable. I will say the light switches are in very awkward places and that is a little annoying and as a taller person the shower are not ideal.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Hi Marchal M,

Thanks so much for your review.

Sounds like a overall a good trip. I really enjoyed your comment about the repeat business. In regards to the functionality of the room, I have good news. We're currently undergoing a rooms renovation that will address many of the functionality issues in our guestrooms. I hope you will return again and experience it first hand.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed at the Donovan House for one evening and was very happy with the stay. We stayed in a one bedroom suite which provided ample space and even an extra half bath! The staff was extremely helpful, providing directions and suggestions for sites and restaurants in the area. The hotel restaurant served an excellent dinner. Will choose this hotel again while in DC.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Hi sunshinedaydream1,

Thank you so much for sharing.

First hand testimonials really make a huge impact for us. I appreciate the review. Good to hear our staff was able to provide several suggestions for you during your stay. Our location makes this super easy, with a bustling 14th Street Corridor just steps from our front door.

See you soon,

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

The staff at the Donovan House could not be friendlier or more helpful!! My family stayed here and we all loved it. I would highly recommend staying at this cool hotel, located in a great and convenient part of DC. Great value, too. Also, you have to love their happy hours!

Stayed: January 2014

Hi Mredst,

Thanks for your review.

I appreciate the comments about our staff. We pride ourselves in hiring people that simply care about others. It's the foundation of our service culture. I know you mentioned the Happy Hours, but forget about the Evening Manager Hosted Wine Reception. Every night in the Hotel Living Room.